Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a brand new 2008.5 Mazda 3 GT in September '08 and after 500km and a few weeks it is making some very strange noises when releasing the brakes.

When I come to a stop and apply the brakes there is no noise, the ride is completely smooth and quiet. However, as soon as I release the brake pedal and the car starts to move forward there is alot of metal on metal screeching/squeaking noise. It can be replicated every time and it sounds like the hull of a ship grinding against a concrete dock (its brutal). It can also be replicated going in reverse, when releasing the car from standstill. Again I must stress there is no noise whatsoever when applying the brakes regardless of speed.

I took the car to my Mazda dealership however the numbnuts there just told me its possible rust buildup on the brake rotors and it is normal. Apparently it can happen on cold days in the winter and the rust is removed when you apply the brake pedals. I can't seem to agree with that, because it does not happen when I brake, only when I release the brakes, as if the brake pads are still clamping on to the rotors, and the car is already moving forward.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal, or how to resolve it. And why are the rotors rusting on a brand new car after just a few months? I do live in Toronto, and it is quite cold here right now -0c to -20c on average, but this should still not be happening. Any additional advice or information is much appreciated as I am no grease monkey :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
Re: Strange break noise (Please help)

I can think of 4 things. The rear pads are not clipped onto the piston correctly. Your break fluid is low and can not pull the piston back (kinda don't think it's this since you are able to break just fine. Your rotors are warped and are rubbing against the rotor. Something is wrong with the caliper not sure exactly what it could be though.

If your pads were off and they fixed it your rotors may need to be resurfaced since they may not be flat so the pad is rubbing against them.

Rotor rust is normal for any car. It can be a 1 day old car (only if there is no zinc plating on the rotors) or a 10 year old car. Most the time it is caused my salt on the roads. They are just metal and the pads scrape them up. Add salt and water and you get rust....

·
Registered
663 Posts
When you get this noise...is your foot completely off the brake pedal, or are you still partly on the brake. It sounds like you have an automatic trans, and this is when you creep forward. Some car have what is known a "creep groan". When you allow the car to creep forward while still partially on the brake, you can get a stick-slip noise that sounds like a "grooooan".

But if you have your foot completely off the brakes, it wouldn't do that. Also, you would most likely get this "groan" noise right at the end of a stop, too. Take it back to the dealer, and have someone get in the car with you. Rust cleanup noise goes away afte a few stops, and you hear it during the first few stops (on-brake noise). They need to know that you have "off-brake" noise, and you need to demonstrate it to someone. If they say they are too busy to come with you, find a new dealer. They are more interested in making money than pleasing customers.

·
Registered
860 Posts
[quote author=thebrakeman link=topic=134343.msg2898762#msg2898762 date=1233263180]
If they say they are too busy to come with you, find a new dealer. They are more interested in making money than pleasing customers.
[/quote]

^ Which most dealers are.... They also hate warranty work and avoid it if at all possible. You just have to fight them to get you car fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts