Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen pics of the disc brakes rusted out on the RX8 and Mazda6's in this forum, And would hate to see my new mazda 3 end up that way! I also saw the same at a display model RX8 here in redwood city.

I live a few blocks away from the ocean so the sea air certainly does not help. Is there some sort of store bought chemical that can be done to prevent this?

-Cheers

EDIT: Thread title and moved to Brakes. :twisted:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Brake rotors are steel, and they are not stainless or galvanized. So they are going to rust. It's a fact of life. There is no way around it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you're talking about the surface rust you get after letting your car sit for a day or two, then don't worry about it. The rotors themslves are not rusting, it is the fine particles of steel left behind from the braking process that are actually rusting - take the car for a drive and it's gone. If you let it sit for months, then the potential for a more serious rust problem is there - at that point, driving will omly cause more pitting and the roptors will need to be turned

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
maelz said:
I live a few blocks away from the ocean so the sea air certainly does not help. Is there some sort of store bought chemical that can be done to prevent this?
I used to live in Monterey and had the same issue. If it's crome or metal, and get's dinged, it will rust unless you buff and treat it all the time.

But as for the brakes, a day or two (as someone said) is common to get rust, and should wear away as you drive the car. I've not noticed a whole lot on mine, and it usually goes away after a day of driving.

However, Redwood City and the ocean/bay fog will certainly play a part in how that RX-8 looks. How about that Winning Blue Mazda3 they had up there on display!? I've been told that that's the color everyone wants... I wonder if I should try selling mine. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts