Mazda3 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm getting the forge bov and a 3.5 ETS is on the way, along with what I've done so far I guess I should do the dyno thing so I know for sure where I'm at when I'm done. I'm under $1600.00, which I don't think is bad, and if the gains are on par with what's been shown, it might be interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[quote author=ZooZoom link=topic=61115.msg1576052#msg1576052 date=1185136729]
[quote author=Unoriginalusername link=topic=61115.msg1575862#msg1575862 date=1185129587]
big numbers, what did the subby guys put down?
[/quote]

thanks. I posted this info on Mazdas247 forum and its been mostly doubting the accuracy of this particular Dynojet dyno.

as you can imagine, guys interested in participating at dyno days don't often have pure stock cars. lots of modded cars yesterday. the only other known stock car was a new EVO IX SE edition. He came by after I left so I didn't see his numbers. A buddy on the LegacyGT board said it put down around 250 wheel hp but he didn't recall the torque number.

On Monday, the guy that ran the shop dyno said he'd post up all the dyno plots from Saturday. mine is a color scan of the printout they were handing out on the spot.

to give you some comparisons, here's what I did see/do know from yesterday running on the same day/dyno obviously:

05 Legacy GT Wagon, 5MT (modded with 18G turbo and Perrin TMIC) 330 whp / 335 wtq
05 Legacy GT Sedan, 5MT (catless UP, catted dp, stock turbo, AP Stg 1 map) 230 whp / 240 wtq
05 Legacy GT Sedan, 5MT (MR headers/up, catless dp, cbe, stock turbo, AP Stg 2 map) 260 whp / 315 wtq
08 Legacy 3.0R Auto (only 500 miles on odometer) 170 whp / 165 wtq yeah it got laughed at pretty badly
97 Volvo 940Turbo (running open exhaust disconnected at the DP, not sure of mods) 190 whp / 200 wtq

Here's a quote from Paul who ran Yimi's dyno on Saturday, "A stock STi puts down anywhere from 245-255 whp our dyno. A stock Evo 9 ran yesterday and put down about 250whp. In very similar heat a couple of days ago, marcocb8's stage 2 LGT (catted with stock catback) did 240whp on the Cobb map and 255whp on a custom Protuned map. A bone-stock 05 LGT is around 210 whp.

[/quote]

Hey Kevin, this is Paul. Slight corrections. The 05 LGT wagon with the 18g and an upgraded TMIC (Merv's car) made 299whp/303wtq. The other wagon there was an 06 LGT with a bolt-on GT30R, FMIC, methanol injection and just about every other mod in the book. However, it is an automatic. It made 325whp/308wtq.

Suffice to day that your MS3 was very impressive. I really cannot explain why it made as much power as it did on a Dynojet that reads just about like every other Dynojet out there. As I mentioned to you over at LegacyGT.com, you cannot fudge the numbers on a Dynojet since they just look at the acceleration rate of a known mass (the rollers). There are no options for user adjustable correction factors, just the different worldwide industry standard correction factors for temperature, elevation and humidity. We use SAE correction and feel that it does a pretty good job of correcting for ambient temperature differences.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just dynoed my MS3 before I did some mods on it and was a bit shocked. Wasn't expecting the dyno to be at the guys house in the middle of nowhere but o well...

I did 4 runs with the best at 253 hp and 283 tq.

On the first two runs I did, the fan was pointed at the radiator and not to the duct to the intercooler.

The other two runs were with the fan up higher and toward the ducting to the tmic, the numbers were a bit better!! The dyno owner was shocked as well as I.

The pulls were all done in 4th gear with the hood closed. It was pretty hot but it still did well...
The car is 100% stock with 6300 miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
[quote author=smokinAMD link=topic=61115.msg1403525#msg1403525 date=1178902144]
Just got back from the dyno a few minutes ago on a bone stock speed, it was pretty damn humid today and about 84 degrees when I did it.

Ready for it?

241.9 HP
271.4 TQ.

I'm happy!
[/quote]

I too had similar numbers on a bone stock 08 Speed 3!!

249.98 HP
276.08 TQ

Go Speed 3s! lol

-J

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just got back from the dyno. Dynojet, Dont have the chart on me.

2008 MS3 (stock)

227HP
241TQ

Not upset by the numbers....i have intake and testpipe going in this weekend and will re-dyno on monday of next week. I'll update accordingly.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
[quote author=Ketchup link=topic=61115.msg1885342#msg1885342 date=1196357084]

Forgive me for being a 'dyno n00b: So, are these numbers what is being put down to the wheels or is this calculated for power at the crank?

I just got my '08 MS3 Monday night.
[/quote]
Numbers represented by dyno's are wheel horsepower. Congrats on the MS3!

·
Registered
544 Posts
This was done back in the summer. Had a fan on the IC normal day wasn't too hot.

^^click it

Blue Pull was 4th
Red Pull was 3rd

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Wow, considering i started this thread over twelve months i'm surprised it's still going. Looks like we are still all getting the same sort of numbers when stock.

Cheers all!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I missed out on a purely stock dyno but will be doing my first one with the Speed 3 tomorrow, just a CAI & CBE on for mods. I've noticed from other post that people seem to be going back and forth over dynoing with the hood up or down, using fans in both cases.

What seems to work best?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Hood down with a bloody BIG fan at the front of the car will work best and be the closest to "real world" running.
Only other way is to have a fan pointed straight down from above the IC to hit it with cool air. Pointing a fan from the front with the hood up blows air across the IC and is next to useless when it comes to pulling heat out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think it was such a bad showing for me today. We had some issues and only ended up doing 2 runs in 4th but ended up with 246.91 / 269.31. I was a bit taken back until he did a flywheel calculation which was 291 / 316

Just being honest but I didn't know to do the run in 4th so we did 3 runs in 3rd first were I started spinning on the dyno at about 6K RPM's every time.

Do those numbers look to fit the standard MS3 runs?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Yup, right on the money when you take into account all the hundreds of variables involved. Temp, humidity and the Dyno/operator used all play a very big role in the final figures.
Still, it looks good!

Cheers!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe I got a bad run in, dunno. At a glance and without having looked into it nearly enough, your numbers look high for just a CAI. The car is fast as hell on the streets, just wondering if I need to hit the rollers again with another shop. The guy I used seemed a little not sure on doing a FWD car. Hell I was thinking my WHP looked spot on with the CAI and Borla (being only a 2.75" CBE). Now I see yours and am scratching my head wondering what went wrong

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
[quote author=EuroSVT link=topic=61115.msg2148295#msg2148295 date=1205446072]
Maybe I got a bad run in, dunno. At a glance and without having looked into it nearly enough, your numbers look high for just a CAI. The car is fast as hell on the streets, just wondering if I need to hit the rollers again with another shop. The guy I used seemed a little not sure on doing a FWD car. Hell I was thinking my WHP looked spot on with the CAI and Borla (being only a 2.75" CBE). Now I see yours and am scratching my head wondering what went wrong
[/quote]

274 is way high for a cai.... 240 something is what it should be, with a TBE and CAI i dynoed the same 274/294. you can't compare dyno's... don't worry your car isn't broken

·
Registered
59 Posts
just got mine done not stock hks intake best run 247.43/276.60 60%humidity 88 degrees outside with a lil box fan blowing on the tmic.

201 - 220 of 249 Posts