Mazda3 Forums banner

Which rim color do you think looks best?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thought of painting or powder coating their rims to gunmetal? I think it should look awsome if it's being done neatly :twisted:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I thought about it... but I hate the way the wheels sit soo far in the fenders.

If I were to powdercoat, it would be Anthercite and I would run custom spacers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i want to get some gunmetal 18's for my red sedan =D wooohoo

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think Gunmetal would look awesome on the Lava Orange HB I'm getting, but White would also look good (and ricey).

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was thinking gunmetal gray for my lava hatch too. I am gonna get my 20 inch R/t rims on my dakota powder coated gunmetal gray, figured they would give me a deal if i brought in 8 rims. But then again what would i drive with all my rims off the cars?

·
Registered
168 Posts
FR3D said:
Anyone thought of painting or powder coating their rims to gunmetal? I think it should look awsome if it's being done neatly :twisted:
I love the stock rims...design and all, but a gunmetal finish would look HOT :twisted: on my titanium gray. Any ideas on how much it would cost to get the stock rims coated in the gunmetal finish, or is it even possible to do that without having to purchasing new rims?

I vote for gunmetal finish.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
birdy said:
its about 50-100 a rim down here
i checked
There is 2 different procedures you can take.

The more expensive one (about $80~125 per wheel) is where the wheel gets a very light sandblast and then gets dipped in an acidic formula that eats away all the paint down to the rim itself.

The other is the cheaper of the 2 (about $35~50 a wheel). They sandblast the wheel until its down to the bare metal. Typically takes a few times to totally remove any and to smooth out the surface.

The powdercoating process is the same. I got my wheels on my Jetta powdercoated for $40 a wheel ($160 total, with method #2). I havent seen a difference, hence why I went the cheaper route.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this might be a stupid question, but anyone know if the color from the powdercoating comes off easily?

umm...I wonder how much it'll cost in Canada, I'm very interested in doing this :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Powdercoating is a very tough finish. Its baked on much like a cars' paint, but a lot thicker.

My wheels were white. Other than keeping them clean, they didnt fade or chip at all.

·
Registered
168 Posts
vaBooM said:
birdy said:
its about 50-100 a rim down here
i checked
There is 2 different procedures you can take.

The more expensive one (about $80~125 per wheel) is where the wheel gets a very light sandblast and then gets dipped in an acidic formula that eats away all the paint down to the rim itself.

The other is the cheaper of the 2 (about $35~50 a wheel). They sandblast the wheel until its down to the bare metal. Typically takes a few times to totally remove any and to smooth out the surface.

The powdercoating process is the same. I got my wheels on my Jetta powdercoated for $40 a wheel ($160 total, with method #2). I havent seen a difference, hence why I went the cheaper route.
Hey vaBooM,

Is the $40 per wheel including the sandblasting and powdercoating? Can you provide any website links that offer this service? How is the quality and look of the finish? Does it look original as if you bought them that way?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vaBooM said:
Powdercoating is a very tough finish. Its baked on much like a cars' paint, but a lot thicker.

My wheels were white. Other than keeping them clean, they didnt fade or chip at all.
thx man

btw, any pics of how your white rims look like?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Spencer - Yes it includes everything. As for websites, I found a local company in my neck of the woods to do the work. Im sure there are numerous companies out there on the net. Do a Google search.

F3RD - Here ya go.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Heres another... I got a lot of photos, just dont know where half of them are.

·
Registered
168 Posts
vaBooM said:
Spencer - Yes it includes everything. As for websites, I found a local company in my neck of the woods to do the work. Im sure there are numerous companies out there on the net. Do a Google search.

F3RD - Here ya go.
Thanks vaBooM! I'll search on Google and see what I find. Not much happening here in Reno, NV. I'll probably have to venture to northern Cali for that.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Thanks!

Ive been meaning to scan 2 articles I have of the car. Unfortunately, the car has beem dismantled for over a year :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts