Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna most likely get a beter set of tires for the upcoming autocross season, and I'm still not deciced on whether to use the stock 16 inch rims or if I should get another set. For the record I used the stock 16's about 6 times for autox in 2005 and the stock 17's about 6 times as well this past summer. Any opinions???

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
what class are you running? If you are running stock class, definitely use the stock 16's (unless you are a hatch, in which case you must run stock 17's), or get an extra set and put R-compounds on them. If you are looking to run STS get a lightweight set of 16x7's and Falken Azenis RT615's, Rota slipstream is a good bet, but there are lots of options out there in light 16x7's. . .

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in H stock, but if I get the Falkens would that knock me out of the stock class??

My hatch originally came with 16's, I bought a set of 17's last spring...

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
nope, you could get R comps and still be in stock class if you want.

Your hatch came with 16's? I've not heard of that, but maybe its a US only thing that they all come with 17's. If it really did come with your 16's, then run the 16's for sure.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Ruby -

Shawn is from New Brunswick, they don't run SCCA rules (as far as I know). R tires may bump you into their Super/Stock (which is sort of like our Street Prepared but not really).

If you can run either the 16's or the 17's and stay in stock, go with the 16's.

PZ

(Hoping to get to Slemon this year)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=PZ link=topic=69655.msg1214590#msg1214590 date=1171771561]
Ruby -

Shawn is from New Brunswick, they don't run SCCA rules (as far as I know). R tires may bump you into their Super/Stock (which is sort of like our Street Prepared but not really).

If you can run either the 16's or the 17's and stay in stock, go with the 16's.

PZ

(Hoping to get to Slemon this year)

[/quote]

I'm gonna be at Slemen for sure....hope to see you there....and if you need directions you could follow me, I went to spectate last summer so I know where it is....

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ok, I kinda like that, R-comps being allowed in stock classes always did piss me off. . .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Shawn, I don't think there's any advantage to going to 17*6.5 from 16*6.5... furthermore, 16*6.5 is a size that IIRC, actually exists in the aftermarket.

I don't know what NB runs, but we had a recent classing tech session here on in Vancouver, BC (Canadian Nationals being held here this year, under CACC ruleset) and my understanding is that CACC stock class allows 1 prep point. Using r-comps apparently are a valid preparation point in this class.

Caveat: my region does not normally use CACC rules.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't planning on using my 17's for slalom, they're used only for my street tires....I was planning on using the 16's for slalom use....but my main concern is if they'd be able to stand up to the pressure and abuse from competing hard....

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=HeaTransfer link=topic=69655.msg1219222#msg1219222 date=1172007094]
There is no reason why your 16s should be "bad" for AutoX. They'll be fine.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking....just checking to see if anyone had any bad experiences with them, and I see nobody has :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
A smaller wheel will be lighter. Lighter wheels mean less rotating mass (which means faster acceleration and braking), and less unsprung mass (which means the suspension will be able to react faster and will keep the tires in contact with the ground better. If the tires are on the ground, they can then provide traction. Lighter wheels therefore mean you get better traction). A smaller wheel also allows you to run a smaller diameter tire. This means you can effect the final gear ratio, and potentialy make the car accelerate faster.

I have been told that larger wheels are better at providing a higher G-load at high speeds...extreemly high speeds....speeds higher than our cars can go. I can't explain why because I just don't care, but this is why high end exotics/real race cars have such big wheels. They are willing to give up the benefits mentioned above to achieve higher sustained cornering G's, something that is not important at an autocross.

The only reason to run a larger wheel is if the smaller wheel causes you to want to start shifting between 2nd and 3rd because you are running out of gear in 2nd. I can't imagine a course fast enough to cause this in the 3, but you may run into this problem with other cars. IMO, the 3 is geared about perfectly when you have slicks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=69655.msg1214946#msg1214946 date=1171811277]
ok, I kinda like that, R-comps being allowed in stock classes always did piss me off. . .
[/quote]

For the record, R-comps can only be used if they are DOT rated to be in stock class. I personally run the Falken Azenis RT615's last year on my Mazda 626 (HS) and looking forward to having them for my next AutoX for the Mazda3 (HS).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
[quote author=rubyred3 link=topic=69655.msg1212276#msg1212276 date=1171653622]
Your hatch came with 16's? I've not heard of that, but maybe its a US only thing that they all come with 17's. If it really did come with your 16's, then run the 16's for sure.
[/quote]

It does seem to be a US thing judging from Mazda's Canada website. Their GTs come with 17s but the GS hatch comes standard with 16s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts