Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body has more info on the stock alarm system? Is it chip based like on the Ford Focus? Should I upgrade mine to a better one to prevent theft? Has anybody upgraded theirs already? What about lock bolts for the mags? Which one, if any, are you using?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I believe the factory alarm is a dealer installed accessory. Mine's only coming with the engine immobilizer system and no alarm system, but it does have keyless entry.

·
Registered
272 Posts
bobmtb,

the stock alarm doesn't have shock sensor or anything like that. It's only went off when the doors are forced.

I don't know what kind of chip inside the engine immobilizer theft. Why it's important?

PS: rpc180, bobmtb is located in Canada.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Depends what you consider good. It certainly isn't like any aftermarket alarm, but if someone bashes your window in or something it will go off.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Car alarms seem to be such a worthless technology. They go off so often by mistake, that people have come into the habit of just ignoring them.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Kazbaeden said:
Car alarms seem to be such a worthless technology. They go off so often by mistake, that people have come into the habit of just ignoring them.
I agree, and its like not like you can really do something if your alarm does go off, *eg, if you are in class haha who knows if you its YOUR car thats going off* hahaa...until you notice it gone..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Didn't realize the alarm was standard in Canada, you guys actually have it kinda nice, the sunroof is included with the sport package too.

I weighing in the idea of a Lojack installation instead, apparantly its only $100USD more than a factory alarm install and would probably be more useful if necessary.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am debating if I should install an aftermarket 2-way alarm, where you can get the status of the alarm from a pager-like remote. However, if the engine immobilization is chipped based like the Focus system, then it would mean some kind of key cutting to bypass that with the alarm. Anybody installed an aftermarket alarm on their MZ3?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
< former LoJack supervisor...

I wouldnt recommend it if I were you. Pager alarms are even worse. Put this scenario in your mind:

Your alarm goes off. You dart outside to see the culprit breaking into your shit. You yell "hey mutha fucka, wtf you think your doing". Suddenly, a 12 gauge points your way..... now what?

Best thing, let them have the car. Thats what insurance is for.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm more of the security through obscurity type. With my previous 2 Mustangs I had alarms installed but after they became a PITA I simply started engaging only the LED (alarm was off). In one case the LED just flashed all the time but they wouldn't know that (valet mode I think it was). The last one actually had a $6000 stereo setup in it that I won a trophy with at a sound off a few years back.

If it was a casual thief they wouldn't bother cause they would see the alarm and those are the ones you want to try and stop. Any expert thief will make off with your car/stereo/whatever if they want to no matter how sophisticated your car alarm is.

In many ways security products are simply there to prey on human instinct and fear. Sure in some cases and situations alarms can be useful but for the average joe with an regular car (like a 3 for instance) it's just not worth it IMO. Insurance is there for a reason, sure it's a hassle and you have a deductable but to go spend $1500cdn on a full hoot pager alarm system like my boss just did a couple weeks ago is just plain silly.

A fuel system cutoff switch and a flashing LED will do more to keep your car in place than any alarm will.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Treat your MZ3 nicely and get a Compustar pager alarm like I did.

·
Registered
984 Posts
It'd be nice if Mazda offered OnStar. It amazes me that they can unlock your doors from Michigan or track your stolen or call you in your car when your air bags go off. The commercials of the phone calls are awesome.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
schulkw said:
It'd be nice if Mazda offered OnStar. It amazes me that they can unlock your doors from Michigan or track your stolen or call you in your car when your air bags go off. The commercials of the phone calls are awesome.
Isn't OnStar owned by GM?

·
Registered
984 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
schulkw said:
Yeah, I think so. But you can get it on Acura, Audi, Isuzu, Subaru, and VW. I don't think those are GM companies. ?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
schulkw said:
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
schulkw said:
Yeah, I think so. But you can get it on Acura, Audi, Isuzu, Subaru, and VW. I don't think those are GM companies. ?
Subaru is affliated/ partially owned? by GM. They are working on a Saab that is based on the WRX. The rest I don't think have any GM affliation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love Vaboom's comments a few posts back... "12 guage pointed at you"
Man, am I glad I live in Canada....worst case scenerio here is that the guy is going to throw a punch or something.

Americans and there guns... HA!

later all..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So... to summarize, to have or not to have an alarm, if a thief is out to get your car, there's nothing that can stop him/her. After all, we're all thinking prevention. Installing a high-end alarm system may prevent theft better than just having the stock alarm. I guess it depends on what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts