Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was curious, how much does the stock 17inch rims weigh?

im estimating around 30 pounds~

·
Registered
95 Posts
22 lbs makes sense given that it has been said that the wheel/tire combo weights 43 lbs and that from GoodYear, the RS-A weight a bit less than 22 lbs, which is not bad.

The wheels are kinda heavy though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hate to break it to you but 22 lbs is just okay. I come from the Miata world where they are very focused on wheel weights. Stock Miatas are underpowered so people look for every edge they can get.

On the Miata most people try to stay under 16 lbs for the wheel. Many pull the factory 16 inch wheels off (15.5 lbs) and install 15 inchers at 11 to 12 lbs. Some spend big bucks and buy 8 -9 lbs forged stuff.

I am curious does anybody have a weight for the stock 16" wheel and the combo?

Wheel and tire weights make big differences in acceleration, ride, and braking. Smaller and especially lighter wheels are not nearly as BLING, BLING but if you are into performance not rice than you are going to opt for the lighter stuff. Wheel and tire weights will figure heavily (pun intended) in you modding plans.

On the sport package cars it sounds like there maybe as much as 10 or more pounds per corner that can be shed by a good light set of 16s and one of the lighter max performance summer tires. The Dunlop SP9000 and the Toyo T-1s are right arount 18 lbs, perhaps a little heavier in a 55 aspect tire. I don't see a good selection of wheels for the 3 yet. The 53 mm offset is kind of weird. If I was to replace what came stock on my 3S sedan, I would look for a wheel tire combo weighing in at about 32 lbs or less.

40 pounds less of rotating mass will be very noticeable in acceleration. Figure a couple of tenths at least on the 0-60. It will be like taking 80 lbs out of the car at least.

BTW speaking of weight loss. Getting a light dry cell battery should be good for about 15 lbs of weight loss. That weight is way up high in the car so it is also is some of the best weight to shed for handling purposes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have Konig Helium with T1-S in 15" on the Miata for about 29 lbs per corner. In the Montréal area, low weight does account very much on ride quality given the poor condition of our roads.

I agree that 22 lbs isn't that bad for 17". On the other hand, I now ride Protege 5 16" with 205/55/16 winter tires and the car rides soooooo much better than with the stock 17" (RS-A were dead frozen though).

The P5 16" scale at 16 lbs. With the tires, my guess is that it makes around 39 lbs.

As for the Mz3 16" combo, I would very like to know the weight too ! I am seriously considering trading the 17" for the 16". I also prefer the styling of the 16" so...

Going for 17" aftermarket, I would go with OZ superleggera at 15.4 lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts