Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am going to be boosting my 3 in the summer and am still undecided on which turbo kit to go with. I am between the tri-point and reactive racing. I know they both have their own pros/cons. I'm not looking to upgrade the internals unless I have to and I am planning to upgrade the clutch when it starts slipping. I have read many reviews and threads about the two kits but still no firm choice on which kit. Any suggestions/opinions/input is very appreciated. Thanks !!! :)

Dave

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I would go with tripoint. :)

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Have you given the F2 kit any thought? It is the cheapest in money wise out of the 3 kits with the same quality... and in the near future will come with the XFC ecu which makes the Reactive Racing kit golden because of this piggyback ecu.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I read up on the F2 kit and it looks good but I'm still going for either Tri-Point for Reactive Racing. I'm looking for the most dependable and "safe" kit. Suggestions? Input? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I still go with tripoint. I started the thread about the reviews on them and have decided I will buy one of these cuase of their great reviews.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=ryukensfj link=topic=137924.msg2974056#msg2974056 date=1236123028]
Have you given the F2 kit any thought? It is the cheapest in money wise out of the 3 kits with the same quality... and in the near future will come with the XFC ecu which makes the Reactive Racing kit golden because of this piggyback ecu.
[/quote]

f2 = the "ebay" of reactive..?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LuisDC, I read your post about the tri-point kit and it seems to be the better way to go. The RR kit seems to be built more for going big and building the engine (which I have do intention of doing). I also like that tri-point is a forum sponsor and has such a great history of working with mazda. Also tri-points complete walk through of the install is great. So I'm gonna say tri-point for me. I'll read up more on that kit in cali_axelas' thread. Thanks

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=137924.msg2975229#msg2975229 date=1236180660]
Ok, so I read up on the F2 kit and it looks good but I'm still going for either Tri-Point for Reactive Racing. I'm looking for the most dependable and "safe" kit. Suggestions? Input? Thanks!
[/quote]

So you're trying to say the F2 kit is not safe? Just making sure that is what you said... you could say before that the stage1 kit is not as safe because it didn't come with an intercooler but I ran it for months including the summer and even a few canyon runs and it was fine. But, however... the F2 kit comes with an intercooler now. He will not be selling the stage1 kit anymore.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I don't mean that the F2 kit is not safe. I just prefer the tri-point and reactive kits. I think the F2 kit looks very well done. But I just happen to like to tri-point the best

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=137924.msg2977269#msg2977269 date=1236263791]
No I don't mean that the F2 kit is not safe. I just prefer the tri-point and reactive kits. I think the F2 kit looks very well done. But I just happen to like to tri-point the best
[/quote]

Oh ok that's fine then. You wrote "safe" so that is what I thought you meant. The tripoint has a good relationship with mazda so good choice on that!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I have been reading all of MotoBizz thread about the RR kit and I maybe more for the RR kit afterall. I like how the boost psi is not set as high as the tri -point kit and the pcs xfc is the best solution for fuel control avail imho. Also being externaly gated and having a borg warner turbo (my friend has a very modified jetta with a borg and its rock solid) are pluses in my mind

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=137924.msg2981222#msg2981222 date=1236488871]
Ok, I have been reading all of MotoBizz thread about the RR kit and I maybe more for the RR kit afterall. I like how the boost psi is not set as high as the tri -point kit and the pcs xfc is the best solution for fuel control avail imho. Also being externaly gated and having a borg warner turbo (my friend has a very modified jetta with a borg and its rock solid) are pluses in my mind
[/quote]

Boost can be adjusted... All you do is turn up or down the boost with a boost controller as low as the wastegate spring... But whatever kit you choose do post a thread about your car and dynos.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I plan on documenting the install and then some videos to follow for sure. I know boost is adjustable but I dont want to be adjusting things right of the bat. Now on to buying and installing gauges so Im a step ahead for the kit.... im thinking prosport boost/oil pressure/ wideband. I hear good things about prosport and the fact that the gauges match the gauge cluster from the factory is very OEMish

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=137924.msg2981331#msg2981331 date=1236494503]
I plan on documenting the install and then some videos to follow for sure. I know boost is adjustable but I dont want to be adjusting things right of the bat. Now on to buying and installing gauges so Im a step ahead for the kit.... im thinking prosport boost/oil pressure/ wideband. I hear good things about prosport and the fact that the gauges match the gauge cluster from the factory is very OEMish
[/quote]

Typically you hear bad things about pro-sport...

I've been running them for 20k miles now and they work great for me though... lol. I run AFR, Boost and Oil Pressure. I'm using the digital series myself, but just picked up a used boost and afr mechanical one as backups.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aps11090, would you mind posting some pics of your set-up? Thanks (I cant access your cardomain at work :()

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
[quote author=stealth link=topic=137924.msg2983226#msg2983226 date=1236614165]
aps11090, would you mind posting some pics of your set-up? Thanks (I cant access your cardomain at work :()
[/quote]

Umm... I dunno if I actually have any pics of them anywhere, let me look around lol.

While I was wiring them...

First day I used them...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsaM2YwyavE#

I'm lookin all over and not finding much haha. I'll have to snap a few pics for you.

Right now I have the digital series, AFR/Boost/Oil Pressure. They are blue LED with the motion band around them, and I think they work great. I just picked up some used pro-sport smoke series amber gauges I might throw in... Just to see if I like the look of them over the blue. I like the digital ones because it's easier for me to glance, get the info I need, and keep my eyes on the road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts