Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if stiffening capacitors (1 farad capacitors) really improve bass response of subwoofers? I've read that it actually puts more strain on the alternator but does work as quicker reacting power reserve for deep base notes. (based on what I've read it takes up to a second for an alternator to supply power demand vs. 1/2000 second for a CAP to repond) Some people claim that it helps with dimming headlights etc. but based on what I've read it doesn't really help with lights dimming.
It seemed to have improved the bass on my sealed 10" Alpine sub but it all may be in my head. Any insights on this topic?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Basically a cap is simply a band aid on a big wound. Caps are good for short transient notes (quick bass notes), but that's about it. They add more resistance to the line, and if you don't look for a cap with low ESR (resistance), then you're REALLY starting to hurt the performance of your system.

My advice: make sure you're using the proper guage wire for the length you'll need to lay it. If you're going to have a super high powered system, go ahead and get a high output alternator. Unfortunately, none are made for the 3 right now and it looks like a bear to install if they ever make one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I know HO alternator is the only real fix for the lack of power but I also heard it may add extra line noise too.
I probably don't need one for my application.
Do you know what the factory alternator is rated to put out?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
HO alternator and voltage stabilizer wont add additional noise to the system. Assuming your grounds are solid and there arent any ground loops.

Factory alternator cranks out 95amps. Probably like 50-60 at idle.

I agree with bk... I would pass up the cap and go for bigger power and ground wires.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
is 4 gauge wire and a 1 farad cap good for running a rockford fosgate bd1500.1

·
Registered
947 Posts
Caps definitely have their place if the stock alternator is too weak to handle the transient current requirements of an amplifier. If the stock alternator can't keep up, taping it with a bigger pipe isn't going to help. Of course, this is all moot if the amplifier use a regulated powersupply.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Typical car audio newb dont know the difference between regulated and unregulated power supplies in the amplifiers.

Its funny, cuz they always ask the installer for advice, and generally we would point to the more expensive amplifiers. Its not all about power. Its about control and design.

Most people want the cheap way out. Little do they know, they end up suffering in the end.

·
Registered
315 Posts
RaGe said:
is 4 gauge wire and a 1 farad cap good for running a rockford fosgate bd1500.1
What are the fuses on the side of the amp? Are you hooking anything else up (other electronics or amps)?

·
Registered
315 Posts
LeeLee said:
Caps definitely have their place if the stock alternator is too weak to handle the transient current requirements of an amplifier. If the stock alternator can't keep up, taping it with a bigger pipe isn't going to help. Of course, this is all moot if the amplifier use a regulated powersupply.
I would think any decent car would be able to handle a large amount of what you throw at it with a stock alternator. Scott Buwalda is actively powering a 3-way front and 3 12"s along with a water cooling device, and he's using the stock battery and alternator. On the other hand he is using a Nissan Altima and they are definitely nice cars and well designed.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Our alternator is much bigger than most compact cars. My Integra, back in the day, had a 60amp. I believe the Nissan full size sedans had 120 amp alternators.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts