Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 837 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: STF build Thread

Yeah. Less grip of streets = need for less spring.

If I were doing an STF build, I'd probably be thinking around 500-600 lbs both front and rear and I'd try to make the stock front bar work. I'd go big rear bar and see where that put me. I don't think the front to rear spring rate ratio has as much to do with balance as a lot of people make out...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Mack is confused, he doesn't know what was on the car. We ran stiffer rear springs in the MS3 because it understeered like a pig compared to the FSP car. Front spring is 50lbs softer on the STX car, it's high relative to the MZ3 because the front was a lot heavier.

For STF, I start out with 550F/600R with no front bar. 225 doesn't generate that much grip.

I don't think you can make it work with the front bar, when we first started with an open diff, it was terrible... You just spend so much time waiting to get on the power.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

[quote author=3oomin link=topic=212184.msg4263180#msg4263180 date=1345728941]
noob question... Where one could buy such high rate springs?
[/quote]

Right here, just tell them what spring rate and spring length you want and they got it. These springs are 2.5" in diameter so you can't just drop these on your stock style strut. You need to get a conversion kit for your struts or get some coil-overs to use 2.5" springs.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=918/CA=213

·
Registered
406 Posts

^^That's some good prices on Hypercoils. I'm thinking of getting some this off season.

Does anyone know where I could find an open top end and flat bottom end spring to replace my Mazdaspeed Acc. rear springs? <- springs on left side of pic

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

[quote author=justint5387 link=topic=212184.msg4263095#msg4263095 date=1345689080]
Mack is confused, he doesn't know what was on the car. We ran stiffer rear springs in the MS3 because it understeered like a pig compared to the FSP car. Front spring is 50lbs softer on the STX car, it's high relative to the MZ3 because the front was a lot heavier.

For STF, I start out with 550F/600R with no front bar. 225 doesn't generate that much grip.

I don't think you can make it work with the front bar, when we first started with an open diff, it was terrible... You just spend so much time waiting to get on the power.
[/quote]

Justin, are you running no front bar on your car in STX now?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

I think I finally found a quality drop in lowering spring that has the spring rates I want and is also linear.

Made by a company called swift. They make springs for the MS3. They designed for performance, not just looks/drop.

They cost over $300 a set and if you read through their site you can see why.

http://www.swiftsprings.com/products-ss_spec_r.html

Rates are also published online which is rare! They offer springs for the Mazdaspeed3 (which will fit my car) that have a spring rate of 252 lb/in front and rear. Remember stock rates are 150/130 so that is a sizable increase (68% increase in spring stiffness on the front and 93% increase for the rear). Even the stock MS3 rates comparatively soft at 188/171 just to give you an idea. Drop is a bit of a guess, because the MS3 sits slightly lower than my car stock, but my car is also ~300 lbs lighter. They state the drop for the 1st Gen MS3 is 1.0" front and .6" rear.

It will be a good compromise between handling and comfort. This should still be pretty comfortable on the street and not bone jarring stiff. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate the ride of springs that are 3-5X stiffer than oem on super stiff custom valved shocks for daily use. Sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I was gonna run Racing Beat Springs on new FSDs for the next season, but now that after reading this thread it seems like this setup would be too soft.

So, with these swift springs, can I just use them with FSDs? or would stiffer springs require better shocks?

I prefer doing it right the first time and not change anything down the road.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

[quote author=3oomin link=topic=212184.msg4263621#msg4263621 date=1345819189]
I was gonna run Racing Beat Springs on new FSDs for the next season, but now that after reading this thread it seems like this setup would be too soft.

So, with these swift springs, can I just use them with FSDs? or would stiffer springs require better shocks?

I prefer doing it right the first time and not change anything down the road.
[/quote]

Ideally, full coil-overs are the way to go. Problem is 99% of them out there for the Mazda3 are crap and not meant for the serious enthusiasts.

Which brings me to the latest findings. I wasn't going to go the full coil-over route due to that, but I have finally found something that seem quite decent! With the Swift springs and roller bearing upgrades probably looking around 2 grand for this setup, but it's probably worth every penny. Anybody have experience with these folks?

http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortune510seriescoilover.htm

This will give me the adjustablility needed to make the car livable on the street, yet real nice for AX. Without good coil-overs it's nearly impossible to get something that will work well on the street and really be quite good for AX.

Yeah, racing beat springs with FSD's will be too soft for serious AX competition. The MS3 swift springs would be a better bet as they are stiffer, high quality, and most importantly linear, but still probably not stiff enough for high level AX, plus you don't get any adjustability. The swift/FSD combo wouldn't be bad at all for a daily driver and occasional autocrosser in STF though. I guess it depends on budget, and how serious you want to get.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

[quote author=Adam3s link=topic=212184.msg4263706#msg4263706 date=1345830694]

Ideally, full coil-overs are the way to go. Problem is 99% of them out there for the Mazda3 are crap and not meant for the serious enthusiasts.

[/quote]

Thought coil-overs were not legal for STF?

·
Registered
695 Posts

What about the Corksport coilover/camber plate set-up? Would that be a better option?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

[quote author=SuperProtege5 link=topic=212184.msg4263778#msg4263778 date=1345845910]
What about the Corksport coilover/camber plate set-up? Would that be a better option?
[/quote]

You could probably do worse than the Corksports, but I'm a bit leary of any made by them for motorsport applications. Several people including myself have broken or bent their sway bars which makes me wonder how much testing they actually do and how well their suspension products hold up to real use. If their swaybar is any indication, it's not real well.

Corksport Coil-overs
http://www.corksport.com/corksport-mazdaspeed-3-mazda-3-coilover-suspension-kit.html

Also, the rear springs on the CS coil-overs are progressive, for track/AX Linear is preferred and what comes on all serious coil-overs. Additionally, I highly doubt they provide dyno sheets on each individual coil-over you are purchasing and match them. Someone once told me if they don't come with dyno sheets, that's a good indication to look elsewhere.

These coil-overs come with all that and will build them to your specs if you prefer. You won't get that at Corksport.

http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortune510seriescoilover.htm

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

[quote author=adumbrille link=topic=212184.msg4263790#msg4263790 date=1345848945]
They already resolved the sway bar issue. People have broken tripoint sway bars too, and theirs was off their race car. Must not know what they're doing either.
[/quote]

I just returned this to them last week and I bought it only 9 months ago. Looks like they aren't quite there yet. Yes, they beefed up the wall thickness of the tube so they don't snap in two pieces anymore, but the arms are the weak link now. I know two other guys, same thing happened on theirs. The endlinks were maxed out at an extreme angle....if it hadn't been for that, I'm sure the arms would've bent even more...or eventually snapped off.

·
Registered
695 Posts

[quote author=Adam3s link=topic=212184.msg4263792#msg4263792 date=1345849084]
[quote author=adumbrille link=topic=212184.msg4263790#msg4263790 date=1345848945]
They already resolved the sway bar issue. People have broken tripoint sway bars too, and theirs was off their race car. Must not know what they're doing either.
[/quote]

I just returned this to them last week and I bought it only 9 months ago. Yes, they beefed up the wall thickness of the tube so they don't snap in two pieces anymore, but the arms are the weak link now. I know two other guys, same thing happened on theirs. The endlinks were maxed out all the way sideways....if it hadn't been for that, I'm sure the arms would've bent even more...or eventually snapped off.

[/quote]

Look I'm not doubting your experiences with the sway bar and such, but quite honestly, all it will take is a call to Derrick at CS and see what he says about your concerns. I'm not denying there are probably better options out there, just trying to provide a better priced option.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

[quote author=SuperProtege5 link=topic=212184.msg4263794#msg4263794 date=1345850041]
Look I'm not doubting your experiences with the sway bar and such, but quite honestly, all it will take is a call to Derrick at CS and see what he says about your concerns. I'm not denying there are probably better options out there, just trying to provide a better priced option.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've already been in touch with Kelly (the manager there) , she sent me the label to send it back. Hopefully I'll get my money back.

21 - 40 of 837 Posts