Mazda3 Forums banner

Stereo Turns Off When Headlights are on

3103 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bbaker0730
Hi Everyone, just wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem: whenever the headlights are turned on, my stereo completely powers off and I can no longer turn it back on. There is still a backlight and the clock works, but the stereo cannot be turned back on. Everything's fine during the day with the daytime running lights on. I am going to check the fuses to make sure none are blown. I've also read the PJB can also cause electrical problems. Any thoughts? My car is a 2006 Mazda 3.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
stock radio or aftermarket?
Stock radio. This happened a few times to me last year, but only lasted a few minutes and turned back on again. Now, the stereo is indefinitely off when the headlights turn on.
Anything that modified the stock wiring?
Only modification I put is a GTA car kit a few weeks ago, which allows plugin for your ipod or mp3 player. This problem happened intermittently before the modification. Everything else in my car is stock and I never spliced any wires or anything. The GTA kit simply plugs into the back of the stereo where the aux is supposed to plug into. It worked fine until recently. I tried unplugging the car kit but that didn't work. This really sucks to not have music at night :(
are you sure you haven't wired anything into the headlights?
Maybe it's a new safety feature from Mazda to help reduce distractions in low visibility situations. :lol: More likely though you have a weird electrical gremlin.
So, I checked all the fuses under the glove box and they're all still good. Next up: the fuses under the hood.
Absolutely nothing done to the headlights or any wiring in the car what-so-ever. Everything is still stock and nothing has been spliced. Headlights are still stock and never been changed.
OK, so as I was driving home today in the dark with my stereo not working, I decided to try playing around with the dimmer; it was on full and as I started to lower it ever so slightly, my radio decided to turn back on! When I put the dimmer back to full, the radio will turned off. I guess it's a temporary fix until I can figure out what's going on.
Maybe you have a low voltage or bad ground situation....
definitely sounds like a bad ground. dimmer wouldnt be attached to the radio wiring at all besides stock "mood lighting" or whatever that orange crap is.

If it were me I would remove the radio and create an entirely new ground. But thats just me. At that rate you might as well get a new radio installed. Blame the audio shop if it keeps happening after and make them fix it for free =D
Hi Everyone, just wondering if anyone ever encountered this problem: whenever the headlights are turned on, my stereo completely powers off and I can no longer turn it back on. There is still a backlight and the clock works, but the stereo cannot be turned back on. Everything's fine during the day with the daytime running lights on. I am going to check the fuses to make sure none are blown. I've also read the PJB can also cause electrical problems. Any thoughts? My car is a 2006 Mazda 3.
Have the same problem to this day.No one knows y
whenever the headlights are turned on, my stereo completely powers off and I can no longer turn it back on.
I know this is ancient old 🤣🤣 but did you ever figure out your issue? Mine is doing the same thing. (04 mazda 3)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts