Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Had my Mazda 3 for about a week now and I love it! My car is currently at a custom stereo install shop getting my deck installed at this moment. The guy is removing the whole radio assembly and installing the deck and custom dash piece to finish it off. When I get it back tonight, I will take some pictures for you guys to see and get some idea of what it looks like (i noticed from reading the forums, many of you would like to see something like this)

I am installing a Eclipse 5303 head unit.
Eclipse 6 1/2 componant speakers in the front
Eclipse 5 1/4 componant speakers in the rear
2 10" Eclipse subs
Rockford Fosgate Power 750X for the 4 sets of speakers.
Rockford Fosgate Power 1000db for the two subs.

Half of the install is going in today, and the other half next week. Some clown backed his truck into my car 4 days after I got it, so it needs a new door and fender - so no point installing the front speakers just yet. Fortunately the damage wasnt anymore exptensive then some body work, and the car drives just as great as before it was hit.

Anyway, pics to come soon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
he's fabricating a whole new thing in a day?
and sucks about the wreck thingy

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah, took him the whole day, dropped it off this morning @ 9am, and I pick it up @ 5 (half hour from now). He is supposed to be the best custom installer in Victoria (BC Canada). Also got him to drill and gromet a firewall hole on the drivers side of the car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My car goes in on saturday for its install and ill take some pics of it afterwards, im having 5-1/4" focal components in the front, and 5-1/4" coax in the back. using the stock deck, high level inputs to a 600watt ultimate amplifier powering a 12" type R, then using a level line converter to a 400.4 phoenix gold to power the sets of focal speakers. then as soon as i get it back ill toss in all my blue neons and LEDs to see how it looks, ill get some pictues up of it probably by monday.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
birdy said:
cool and you will have pics when you get back home ?
yup, just got it home, and it looks super-sweet. I will get ahold of my friends digital camera tonight, and snap some pics for you guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey man.. Since i live in Vancouver.. i'd like to pay that installer a visit .. all the way to Victoria.. (have to take a ferry, but it would be worth it).. Can you tell me da name of shop that he works for?? or phone number at least?? how about the price range?? I can't wait to see your picture.. !!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ba8o81 said:
Hey man.. Since i live in Vancouver.. i'd like to pay that installer a visit .. all the way to Victoria.. (have to take a ferry, but it would be worth it).. Can you tell me da name of shop that he works for?? or phone number at least?? how about the price range?? I can't wait to see your picture.. !!!
Sure thing dude, I am at a friends house, and dont have all the info with me. I have a card at home, and as soon as I get there (work a graveyard tonight) I will post up the info for you.

Digital pics are coming later tonight, I am supposed to meet up with my friend before work to get the camera, then I will post the pics from work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bee04M3S said:
Alright, Im wondering about the custom faceplate. How much did he charge for that.

Im very anxious to see some pics of this....a little TOO anxious. :shock:
hehe :), going as fast as I can, I got the pcitures on my friends digital camera, now I just need to get them off :) - when I get off work in the morning, I will have him use the link cable (which he forgot to give me) to pull the pics off, then ill upload them.

I will also upload pics of the actual full stock stereo assembly - the LCD screen is actually attached to the stock deck.

It took him approx 6 hours to do the deck install @ 60 per hour (canadian). Now that he has done one, it may take him less time to do another. Keep in mind this is a approx number as he did some other work for me such as mount my rear speakers on the back deck, drill firewall hole etc..So i am guessing on the time it took to do the deck (8 hrs labor total).

I am going back next week to get my sub's installed with a custom box, then I just need to mount my amps, front speakers and im done!

·
Registered
398 Posts
yeah install costs are insane, luckily the shop that i went to has 40$ / hr on labor. They are installing my speakers (including cutting the holes and mounting tweeters, running new speakers wire, building baffles for the 5X7 holes so that i can have my 5-1/4 speakers in there, running the 4 guage power wire to two amps and mounting and setting up everything, oh and they are doing line level connection to one of the amps and hihg lvel to the other....all that apparently is also going to be a 6 hour labour fee, so probably about the same because in place of the custom deck faceplate that you are getting imhaving the other stuff installed too
seems about right, can't wait to see pics of yours tho it sounds sweet.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
$60/hr?!? $40/hr?!?

Damn, in Colorado.. the price varies on the job. For instance: a deck is $25. Whether it takes 1 hour or 2, still $25. Front components are $60, amps are $60. Amps that need 4 gauge is another $20, distribution blocks and custom trim baffles for speakers are $10 a piece.

Even the best shops dont charge by the hour.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bee04M3S said:
*rubbing his hands together in anxious anticipation*
I am having all sorts of problems with this digital camera thingy, don't worry the pics will be up today, its just taking me longer due to problems which I don't want to bore you guys with...

·
Registered
744 Posts
do do do do do do doot do do do do doot do do do do do... (the Jeopardy theme song)

'Music' - "I've been waiting for pictures of the Mazda3 with aftermarket stereo..."

28 days later... (it hasn't been 28 days but I thought that we be funny cause of the movie)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
lol we gottta be patient =)....we should be thankful ppl are actually going to show us how to do this haha if not...we're sh*t out of luck and might end up ruining our cars ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts