Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IDK, if this is the right section, but here my story.

If I go like 80MPH my steering wheels starts to shake. Not REALLY bad, but enough to bug the hell out of me.

I double checked my lug nuts and they are all torqued at 100LBS.
Tire pressure is at 42PSI (what it's recommended for my tires)

Anybody know what else I could do.

Also i am lowered on Tein S-Tech.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Get an alignment?

Most around here only torque their lugs to 60-80 ft/lb. Im pretty sure 80 ft/lb is max for our studs. Also, I have a hard time believing 42 is recommended for your tires. It may be the max, but not recommended. I run my tires at 35-37 psi.

Do you have hub rings on your wheels? If not, are they centered around the hub properly? That could be another cause. Check that, and your alignment.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says on the tires 44PSI MAX.

Now that you brought it up. i think it might be because of the hub rings.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
It's funny you say that because when I had my Rotas on I had hub centering rings for them and my steering wheel had a bit of a shake as well but once I put my RX8's on, the shake virtually went away...hmm.

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Wow only 2psi lower than max?? Pressure changes roughly 1 psi for every 10 degree change. You go on the highway and your tires heat up, and you are damn near max psi. I'd knock that down a few pegs. I doubt thats your problem though, unless you have uneven tread wear.

You mentioned hub rings.. are you actually using hub rings or no?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did before, but i broke them...dont ask how...i just did.

They are 73mm Hub Rings and i cant find them :p

·
Registered
556 Posts
Get your tires rebalanced. I had the same issue when I first got my car. The dealer had put new tires on for me and after a few days I took it out on the parkway and noticed it was shaking pretty bad. I got it rebalanced and it completely went away.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, just picked up a set of Hub Rings from Belle Tire. I'll install them and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
it is either tire wear or the balance of your rims/tires. with 42 psi i'd be surprised if the center of your tires withstood 5k miles, honestly. that's like a goddamn balloon.

i'm in canada and when it snows, the snow packs in to the rim and fucks the balance after a certain speed. there's BAD wheel shake and this seems like 100% what you're tlaking about.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tires are brand new. No burnouts whats so ever on these tires.

So..its either the Hub Rings or get them rebalanced. Which ill end up doing both anyways.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
that should cure it, if not you might wanna check if a rim is bent or there's a tire bubble or something.

·
Registered
556 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=137836.msg2971618#msg2971618 date=1236037724]
that should cure it, if not you might wanna check if a rim is bent or there's a tire bubble or something.
[/quote]

Listen to biped, he knows his shit lol.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE!

The problem is fixed.

I put on a set of Hub Rings, brought the tire PSI down to 40, torqued my lug nuts.

Took it on the highway up to 90MPH and no vibration, so it's all good.

So thanks a lot, everyone!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts