Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a steering wheel from a 3s and I went to the Mazda dealership near my house and asked if they could install it for me. They said they couldn't due to liability reasons. Has anybody swapped their steering wheel for a different one and how hard is it to do or shoud I even do this because it might be potentially dangerous?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
it can be dangerous if the airbag deploys but as long as you do it properly it wont. the dealer can't do it since it's against the law to remove a perfectly good airbag.

is there a difference between the i and s wheel?

·
Registered
293 Posts
the airbag system has reserve power so wait 15 mins after disconnection battery to take out the bag. AND MAKE SURE your steering wheel is straight befor you take it off. otherwise makes for a nightmare lol.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You might also considder removing the fuse for the airbag system while you're at it, just in case..
I also claim no responsibility for any actions you might take, you're on your own there, so be safe!

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
good luck with the replacement. I hope you dont get an airbag to the face, they hurt.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
I want an aftermarket wheel...but that would mean no more steering wheel controls =(

·
Registered
920 Posts
it's illegal to remove safety equipement that came from the manufaturer.

So, if you have an airbag in your steering wheel, you cant change it for one with no airbag.
Same applies to racing hanesses.

I'd like to get a Nardi Deep Corn steering wheel, but cant b/c of laws! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts