Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that most covers are designed to slip or stretch over the rim of the steering wheel. But for my 2009 Mz3 I am looking for a steering wheel leather cover with prepunched holes designed to be sewn onto the wheel for a snug fit. Are there any recommended good brands? Where can I find some?

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's really an easy install. The cover is pre-punched and a needle and string are included. The instructions are easy to follow and straight forward aswell...

I have no needlework experence, If I could install something like this and comes out good, I'm sure anyone can do it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Wheelskins covers are easy to install. I've done about 4 of them on my past cars. Great quality and look OEM if you take the time to do it right. There's a few different methods to 'sewing' them up depending how you want it to look.

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
I dunno, it's not a clean look unless it actually covers everything to the point that it looks stock--which the wheelskins cover certainly doesn't. The AutoEXE ones on the other hand look great from a fit standpoint, but the red one (which is the only color I'd be interested in) is just WAY too bright. What I really want is just a Speed3 wheel, but those things are $$$$$!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
^ Agreed. The fit is why I haven't gotten a Wheelskins yet. I'd like an Autoexe but not finished mustering up the courage to pay that much for a wheel cover. :p Then again, I really wanna get the WeatherTech floor mats so I can't really gripe about the Autoexe price.

...didn't realize the Autoexe ones went up in price. They used to be $126. Btw, anyone know a good way to clean the steering wheel grip and get in the grooves of the texture?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=Mummyman link=topic=135649.msg3010777#msg3010777 date=1237780655]
How hard was the install of your wheelskins, Alpinweis or Mazda3Owner13?
[/quote]

took me about 2 hours to do it. It is my first wheelskin. After the first 20 minutes of sewing you get used to doing it right. When I did the full round I had to undo the starting part - about 2 inches - and redo it with the remaining thread.

It really looks and feels great. Mine is a EuroPerf wheelskin. Got it from DC CarCare, way cheaper than directly from the original manufacturer.

·
Registered
987 Posts
[quote author=Alpinweis link=topic=135649.msg3008849#msg3008849 date=1237669568]
Here is what my wheelskin covered wheel looks like now

[/quote]

Is the piano black surrounding area around your steering wheel controls stock? Mine's greyish and worn/scratched off. Where can I get that?

I'm thinking of this Wheelskin item too, since the left side of my steering wheel is worn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.