Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm confused...

Both the goauto.com.au review, and the press release on autoweb.com.au say that the Maxx has wheel mounted audio controls, but everyone here seems to be convinced that they aren't included.

Have Mazda changed their mind about that already?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well the Maxx Sport (Im damn sure it was a Maxx Sport) that I saw at my local dealer the other day didn't have the mounted controls.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What you see is what you get. GoAuto and AutoWeb looks like they were given the wrong info by Mazda (The article in AutoWeb looks like a press release). With GoAuto, seems that they only test drove the Neo and SP23, so probably did not know about the error. The MZ3 brochure mentioned that wheel mounted audio controls are available "on specific models" rather than "on SP23 only", which suggests that Mazda Aust probably were still tossing up that idea when they printed the brochure. However, if you don't believe your eyes when you saw the Maxx, the Features leaflet can confirm it.

Even the MZ2 Maxx has these controls. I'm starting to feel ripped off now :mad: !

Did anyone spot a mistake in the Features sheet? The Neo has "illuminated driver's power window switch" as a tick when it should say opt1. Just being picky.

And this from Carpoint's review, about the stereo: "And look for the 'surprise and delight' feature -- LED lights that radiate out from the centre volume button when you interact with the stereo -- reminiscent of Knight Rider's oscillating bonnet light, or Cylons' eyes from BattleStar Galactica." How about that? Having not seen it personally, I wonder if it's tacky or 8).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think with the wheel mounted controls Mazda decided to remove them from other models to make it look like you get more on the SP23.

When you compare the Maxx Sport and the SP23, they are pretty similar and its a $4,000 price gap there. So people like me who are looking at the SP23 want something for the money, and having things the other models dont make it seem like your getting something extra.

But to not make it even an option on the other models is just weird, or clever Im not sure.

Im still trying to get around the whole Maxx and Maxx Sport thing. Why not just have a Maxx and have a sport option? It just makes it more confusing.

But again, I havent seen a proper spec sheet from the dealer but I'll try and get one this weekend. Hopfully Mazda will update Mazda3.com.au soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mmm.. I would totally rather that mazda just made the maxx sport the only maxx - Can the straight maxx.

Anyhow, re the lights coming out when changing the volume - i had a little play and it was no big deal. Not really tacky, but nothing really special. I think in no time you would either learn to ignore it or you'd find it distracting and turn it off, so Id say its edging more towards tacky than cool. Id give it a week then kill it!

And spook, I thought you'd like that the mazda 2 has audio control on the steering wheel :lol: .. that alone is annoying!

At this point in time i feel it is totally appropriate to say 'damn you bundy'

·
Registered
372 Posts
RaVe said:
I think with the wheel mounted controls Mazda decided to remove them from other models to make it look like you get more on the SP23.

When you compare the Maxx Sport and the SP23, they are pretty similar and its a $4,000 price gap there. So people like me who are looking at the SP23 want something for the money, and having things the other models dont make it seem like your getting something extra.

But to not make it even an option on the other models is just weird, or clever Im not sure.

Im still trying to get around the whole Maxx and Maxx Sport thing. Why not just have a Maxx and have a sport option? It just makes it more confusing.

But again, I havent seen a proper spec sheet from the dealer but I'll try and get one this weekend. Hopfully Mazda will update Mazda3.com.au soon.
But a "little" thing like wheel mounted audio controls won't really help increase the SP23's perceived value. The 2.3L donk alone is probably worth most of the $4000, not to mention the leather wheel and shifter, and sports grille/bumpers, climate air, sports interior ... etc. I think there is enough fruit on the SP23 to warrant the Maxx getting the audio controls. SP23 should at least get wheel mounted cruise control though.

Mazda should give Maxx buyers at least one toy to play with, because features wise behind the wheel, there's nothing extra it has over a Corolla or a Pulsar.

Actually, does the SP23 have the electroluminescent guages? On the showroom floor, I turned on the headlights and there was a blue glow, but having not seen it in action, I believe that is more to it than that. It's supposed to be different too at nighttime. Any SP23 owners shed some light here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very true, I still wonder why they didnt just put wheel mounted audio controls on the Maxx Sport, it is a "Sport" model after all.

As for the electroluminescent guages, when I was looking at a Maxx Sport and the SP23 the other day, I noticed that the guages are very differnt looking. The Maxx Sports were more classic looking (white lined incriments), while the SP23 has a thick white line broken up with red.

So I would say yes it dose have them. Though they are probably more noticeable at night.

See if you can get to the dealer really late one night, just before they close and check it out :wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Regarding the wrong info about the audio controls for Maxx in AutoWeb? Remember it was mentioned that it was a press release? Well, that press release is also in the Mazda Aust website dated 12 Jan, but I am sure it was only posted recently). Exactly the same article, which if you can't remember, is:
Mazda Australia Website said:
Mazda3 Maxx models are priced from $25,490 and include additional equipment such as six airbags, ABS brakes with EBD and Brake Assist, alloy wheels, power windows and mirrors, a six in-dash CD player and wheel mounted audio controls.
Liars. :mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was test driving today (about which I'll post more later), I asked the dealer about it.

He claimed that a bulletin had come into the dealership overnight from Mazda, saying that the next release of the Maxx would have the steering wheel audio controls on it. He thought it'd take about a month before they started showing up on the lot.

(He said that he'd gotten beaten up the night before about the fairly poor specs on the Maxx relative to the Neo, especially the lack of audio controls on the steering wheel).

Don't know if it's enough to make me think about doing the Maxx again - still awfully hard to see where the extra $1750 or so goes...

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are replacement wheels on the Mazda website that have the audio controls on them. I don't think that they would be cheap tho

·
Registered
207 Posts
Astaroth said:
He claimed that a bulletin had come into the dealership overnight from Mazda, saying that the next release of the Maxx would have the steering wheel audio controls on it. He thought it'd take about a month before they started showing up on the lot
Wouldnt that mean Mazda have to print out new brochures to amend these changes??

·
Registered
176 Posts
Astaroth said:
He claimed that a bulletin had come into the dealership overnight from Mazda, saying that the next release of the Maxx would have the steering wheel audio controls on it. He thought it'd take about a month before they started showing up on the lot.
Dealer Talk: Next month = 2006 M3 revision :(

(No this comment was not made using any facts) :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just had a look through my brochures, and it doesn't say anywhere that the Maxx doesn't have the controls, it's just on the seperate specs sheet. (Although there is a photo of the Maxx interior without the audio controls)

Besides, given the number of people looking at the thing on Saturday, they'll need to reprint just to cope with the number of people who want one...

Still, I'm not gonna wait.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Test drove a Velocity Red Maxx Sport on the weekend - that colour is really starting to grow on me now! Anyway, asked the dealer about the audio controls on the Maxx, and he said the same thing that's been expressed here in this thread - that 2004 build Maxx will have the wheel mounted audio controls (with no extra cost). His explanation was that Mazda "rushed" to produce the batch for Australia so that Aussies can have the 3 in Jan, and so the steering wheels were actually for the European market. Asked him about the cruise control, and yes, the optional cc is stalk mounted, but he said Mazda Aust is looking to get a supplier to have it wheel mounted. So looks like they won't ask from the factory but getting it locally configured.

He also said that first shipment was 220 cars into Sydney. Second shipment will be 2004 built, to arrive mid-Feb. About 700 cars into Sydney with 2/3s pre-sold.

BTW, the build plate is located on the driver's side of the car, on the body below the driver's seat. Just open the door and you'll see it.

So to all of you looking at the Maxx, you may want to hold off until the '04 build arrives.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi! First time user here. I have just ordered a titanium Maxx Sport. The dealer showed me the Mazda release stating that the 2004 Maxx and Maxx Sport will come with steering wheel audio controls. Mine is being built 23 February 2004 and arrives at dealer here in Cairns approx end of March 2004. These forums have been invaluable!! :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
congrats zoomer! titanium rocks! 8)

it is a pity about the cruise control being a stalk... otherwise i would have added it onto my steering wheel. granted since coming back to sydney 3 years ago i've yet to use the cruise control on the 626...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well this is good news, I wondered why the Maxx/Maxx Sport didn't come with audio controls on the wheel.

I'm still trying to decide whether to pay the extra for a SP23 over a Maxx Sport....not sure whether it's worth it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Vormund said:
Well this is good news, I wondered why the Maxx/Maxx Sport didn't come with audio controls on the wheel.
The Maxx/Maxx Sport does come with the audio controls on the wheel. :)
It's only the December 2003 delivery shipment that didn't come with the audio controls on the wheel.

I've been happily using them in my 2004 MZ3 for the past week. It's just difficult when turning a corner, talking on the phone, waving at another MZ3 driver and changing radio stations at the same time. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts