Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was secretly hoping mine was part of the recall so I could get my airbag replaced and finally say goodbye to my mazda emblem and it's missing chrome haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sure I wouldn't find it funny if it were my car and that actually happened. But I do have to chuckle over the particulars of it. In early 2008 when I was researching the 08 models, I found a list of frequently reported problems with the Mazda 3 by years. Might have been on Edmunds. Can't remember now. Anyway the one that stood out in my mind was the year when you could hit one of the doors with your fist or a rubber hammer and it would unlock. But what really impressed me was the fact that I couldn't find a single problem on the list two years in a row. Bought the 08. Forgive me if I've told this story already. I'm old and my memory stinks. But I loved that 08 so much that, when it was totaled in 2010, I located a well kept, low mileage, used 08 hatch online and flew from Baton Rouge to Elmhurst, Illinois, checked it out, bought it, and drove the 1000 miles back home in time to go back to work 2 days later. Someone at work described me as "not quite circular" for having traveled 1000 miles to buy a used car. But they already knew that. Best decision I ever made. Got the GT model the second time. Driving a 2019 sedan now which is a nice car except for a few things that I absolutely hate. But I really think the 1st gen 3's were more fun to drive. My daughter has it and still thinks so. Sorry for the huge digression from your original point.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure I wouldn't find it funny if it were my car and that actually happened. But I do have to chuckle over the particulars of it. In early 2008 when I was researching the 08 models, I found a list of frequently reported problems with the Mazda 3 by years. Might have been on Edmunds. Can't remember now. Anyway the one that stood out in my mind was the year when you could hit one of the doors with your fist or a rubber hammer and it would unlock. But what really impressed me was the fact that I couldn't find a single problem on the list two years in a row. Bought the 08. Forgive me if I've told this story already. I'm old and my memory stinks. But I loved that 08 so much that, when it was totaled in 2010, I located a well kept, low mileage, used 08 hatch online and flew from Baton Rouge to Elmhurst, Illinois, checked it out, bought it, and drove the 1000 miles back home in time to go back to work 2 days later. Someone at work described me as "not quite circular" for having traveled 1000 miles to buy a used car. But they already knew that. Best decision I ever made. Got the GT model the second time. Driving a 2019 sedan now which is a nice car except for a few things that I absolutely hate. But I really think the 1st gen 3's were more fun to drive. My daughter has it and still thinks so. Sorry for the huge digression from your original point.
It's all good. TBH, I think the 1st Gen 3s are the best as well. I had to drive a loaner 2nd Gen once and really did not care for it. I don't like the styling of the later 3s, so I'm keeping mine until the end of time.

Reactions: dudeskee1325

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's all good. TBH, I think the 1st Gen 3s are the best as well. I had to drive a loaner 2nd Gen once and really did not care for it. I don't like the styling of the later 3s, so I'm keeping mine until the end of time.
Agreed. If anything I'll end up buying another gen 1 or do an engine swap or both!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts