Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in horrendous parking lot traffic today for close to an hour and after 30 minutes or so of very slow moving traffic (less than 10 km/hr... mostly stop than go) I noticed steam coming out from the hood!!! :shock: I did wash the car through those no touch auto washers at the gas station, so I don't know if that had to do anything with it, but that was during my lunch time and the traffic was tonight after work... so 5 hours has passed since. It was -10C out today, so I would imagine everything would have evaporated/dried up by then. Wonder what it was... it's too dark now to check. Engine coolant temp was normal and no warning lights came on. It just freaked me out. Anybody have ideas why? Coolant and all liquid levels were normal when I checked a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Some times if you are gonna end up in park or neutral for a long time it is just best to turn the car all the way off, not good to let a car idle for long periods of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In this freezing weather sometimes if you wash your car the water freezes in the radiator core area, since radiator did not warm up and evaporate the water from the fins as you were probably making a short trip, when you were stuck in traffic the temperature finally got hot enough and evaporated the water, resulting in steam for a few minutes. It should then have gone away. Normal situation. Hope it helps, but check your radiator overfow tank to be sure.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Should be ok, but check anyway.

The PRO's hood sometimes emits steam if the car is stopped in winter and if the hood was wet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all the liquids again today and everything seems normal. It just freaked me out pretty badly as I thought the car was overheating or something. Never ever seen that on my Protege. I'll keep an eye on the liquid levels, but it's just plain weird when you don't expect it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
sure it wasn't exhaust steam cloud blowing under your car and coming up?

sorry had to ask! :twisted:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slalom said:
sure it wasn't exhaust steam cloud blowing under your car and coming up?

sorry had to ask! :twisted:
No... I'm pretty sure it wasn't exhaust... as there was no wind last night... and I can see the exhaust billowing up in the back.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What about from the guy in front?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJ Spencer said:
Thought about that too. Followed a few different cars with the same results. Only stopped steaming/smoking when the traffic freed up and noticed no more steam/smoke coming out when I arrived at the destination.

·
Registered
481 Posts
bobmtb said:
DJ Spencer said:
Thought about that too. Followed a few different cars with the same results. Only stopped steaming/smoking when the traffic freed up and noticed no more steam/smoke coming out when I arrived at the destination.
cool, then id have to go with the snow in the rad area/ice in the engine bay idea that someone tossed out earlier...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts