Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a speed 3 and I like the look of the stealth boxes not sure how clean the sound is anybody's two cents is valuable also were can I buy one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A box is a box is a box. If it's built well, it'll sound just as good as an ugly carpeted cube.

Most are custom made.

·
Registered
611 Posts
[quote author=Mark C link=topic=68921.msg1196366#msg1196366 date=1170994355]
A box is a box is a box. If it's built well, it'll sound just as good as an ugly carpeted cube.

Most are custom made.
[/quote]

wrong is a poster, wrong is a poster, wrong is a poster.

sealed != ported != bandpass != waveform
(btw, for the non-geeks != is a logical expression for "does not equal" in many computer programming languages)

There are various kinds of boxes, and various things affect how a box sounds. The mass involved affects the resonant frequency, as does stiffness and shape. Unfortunately, I can't tell you how the stealth boxes sound. From what i've read you can get pretty decent volume out of that jackspace, or you can make it relatively small-- The primary thing that will affect sound of a box you build form-fit to that area will be it's volume. From what i can tell, shape dosn't much affect sealed boxes like it does others. The downside, i imagine it would be very hard to get a sealed box fit to the jackstand tuned to any specific resonant frequency- but thats a sacrifice for the stealth install.

On the whole, I imagine they sound pretty good considering how many people have done that install and haven't complained or re-done it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A 'stealth box' is no different from any other box, so long as it is built and designed well. Sure there are differences between sealed, ported, etc., but those are different types of boxes. A 'stealth box' is not a type of box. Granted, it may be difficult to build a 'stealth' bandpass box, but if space allows and the design and construction is of good quality, then it should sound just as good as a 'non-stealth' box.

If you want a stealth box to sound good, build it well (regardless of type), and match it with the specs of your chosen driver (and of course match the driver and the amp appropriately). That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
[quote author=Mark C link=topic=68921.msg1197041#msg1197041 date=1171036506]
A 'stealth box' is no different from any other box, so long as it is built and designed well. Sure there are differences between sealed, ported, etc., but those are different types of boxes. A 'stealth box' is not a type of box. Granted, it may be difficult to build a 'stealth' bandpass box, but if space allows and the design and construction is of good quality, then it should sound just as good as a 'non-stealth' box.

If you want a stealth box to sound good, build it well (regardless of type), and match it with the specs of your chosen driver (and of course match the driver and the amp appropriately). That's all there is to it.
[/quote]

agreed.
bandpass, ported, sealed... these are types of boxes. stealth versus quare box are differences in style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I built one for my hatch myself it wasnt to difficult just time consuming. It sounds great to me,I have a 8" rockford-fosgate punch in it with about 100watts going to it (4 channel amp bridged). its not going rattle windows or anything but it has plenty of bass for me,one of the older guy on the forum (39) lol. any other questions just ask.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I have one of the original Stealthboxes made by Crzyone1. I love it. It gives the stock stereo the low end bump it was missing.
I had a MTX 8in sub but that died so I now have a JL Audio 8in sub that sounds even better than the MTX did... People are amazed when I show them the sub as they thing I have at least a 10in sub in a bigger box...
Id say the stealthbox is one of my top 3 favorite mods on the car....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts