Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious but when I start my MS3 the rpms go imedietly to the 2k mark, I only have 468 miles right now and was kinda thinking that was just part of the break in. As soon as I put it in gear and start driving they drop imedietly. So, is this normal??

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm at about 3300 miles and mine starts up @ 2k rpm also, always has. I let it warm up for about 30 sec. and it settles down around 900 - 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=68035.msg1172493#msg1172493 date=1169961160]
Just curious but when I start my MS3 the rpms go imedietly to the 2k mark, I only have 468 miles right now and was kinda thinking that was just part of the break in. As soon as I put it in gear and start driving they drop imedietly. So, is this normal??

[/quote]

You should let it warm up a bit before driving off. Mine does the same thing and I let it drop to about 1k (which doesn't take that much time)before putting it in gear.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good to know this is a common thing, although it takes at least a minute for it to calm down and when it does it goes slightely under the 1k mark.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
[quote author=Nymisus link=topic=68035.msg1172601#msg1172601 date=1169968542]
good to know this is a common thing, although it takes at least a minute for it to calm down and when it does it goes slightely under the 1k mark.....
[/quote]

Yeah, it seems like forever when you're waiting for it, but in the grand scheme of things, a minute isn't that much time. At least that's what I have to keep telling myself while I wait for mine to warm up, hehe.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine seems to vary between 2,000 and 1,500 without any real explanation (e.g. not temperature dependent). I raised that with the dealer when I went for a first service, and he claims it is normal, nothing to worry about, and probably a result of whether the AC, etc., is in "on" position when started. I never change those settings, so this isn't it, but I've stopped being concerned.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
it is normal especially on turbo cars. the turbo uses engine oil to keep lubed and the engine idling high for a few sec. helps the oil get there faster, keeps the turbo from running dry for a longer period.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
yup. mine does it too.
I give it 30 seconds, then drive slow in 2'nd or 3'd (about 25 mph) for the next one minute atleast.

more importantly, do not RACE the engine on idle and do not hit the gas pedal when starting up. Just turning the key should be enough for a clean start.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The primary reason for the increased cold idle speed is emissions related. The idea is to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature (> 250 C) quickly. It has nothing to do with the turbo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's the temperature. If you start in a warm afternoon, it usually starts from around 1500, and goes down quickly. I think that's because the oil is more dense when cold.

I always wait until it goes below 1000 and the temperature gauge starts rising.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=68035.msg1173969#msg1173969 date=1170046287]
The primary reason for the increased cold idle speed is emissions related. The idea is to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature (> 250 C) quickly. It has nothing to do with the turbo.
[/quote]

he is right...it idles at a higher rpm at first as the temps go lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts