Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my wife's 04 3s taken to the dealership because the fuel gage was broken, i never heard of that one on a 3. Anyway they said they replaced the fuel pump and when i went to pick up the car they were jumping it because the battery was dead. So I get a new battery and my wife takes the car to ohio, we live in jersey but she is in ohio for 2 months doing research. So she told me today that the car wouldn't start the other day,It didn't even turn over but the dash lit up. She kept trying it and it eventually started, then the today the car stalled while she was parking and she had trouble starting it again. It wasn't turning over at all and then it starts right up. I have had the fuel pump replaced twice now and I am thinking it is the fuel pump again, this one is only one week old, is it possible the pump is bad? I am not sure if she put the correct gas in the car, I am worried she put E85 in, she says she just put bp regular gas in it. Any ideas on what the problem is and what the octane rating on ohio regular is? Do they sell E85 in ohio?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ah... darn 04's. I had fuel pump replaced b/c my car wouldn't start after filling up at gas station. Talk about major frustration.

Few months after, my car kept stalling during idle. Dealer replaced MAF sensor. I asked for details, they just said it was "mal-functioning". :x I thought it was purge control valve... in fact, I am scared that PCV will go wrong next. So much for "Japanese" reliability...

My guess is original dealer messed up somehow during fuel pump replacement. I would have PCV or MAF sensor checked as well. I haven't had issues after I got mine replaced. Take it to a different dealer, hopefully some place more competent and helpful.

Good luck...

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Since they did work to the fuel system, things like blockages or fuel filter is plugged up with junk. (just throwing ideas) however, it should try to turn over whether there is gas or not. Starter coil? I dunno....it's hard to tell without seeing the car. Have her take it to the dealer out there....they should still honor any warrenty work.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well when the problem occurred it was below zero temps, which is not something the car used to see often in nj and it was always kept in a garage. After the temp warmed up the car has been fine. She is not going to take it to the dealer unless the problem comes back but there are a few tsb's related to cold weather that could be the issue. thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Since last week I had some problems starting my car. When I turn the key the engine cranks but it won't start (half of the time, usually when sitting for long time). And when I turn the key second time it ALWAYS starts like normal. It is strange cause it is only the first try to start the car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. This kinda worries me cause I don't know the effects of engine cranking without the gas. Could this possibly damage the engine. And the dealership only can fix something that is wrong, since the car starts for them. There is nothing wrong with the car. Assholes!!!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
It will just wear more on the starter and drain the battery, no bad effects on the engine itself so long as the injectors aren't firing.

If they are firing and it is an ignition problem you can wet down the cylinder walls to much and get gas into your oil. Gas + oil does not lubricate very well.

Just don't spend a couple of minutes trying to get it to fire (just in case the injectors are firing and the spark plugs aren't sparking). I don't know if the 3 is setup to do this, but most cars if you floor the gas pedal the injectors will fire only for the first about 2 seconds of cranking and then stop firing. It is designed to do this so that if the engine is flooded the injectors cut out and allow the cranking to clear some of the excess fuel from the cylinders. A few cars I have owned/driven where designed to do this.
-Matt

·
Registered
359 Posts
What pisses me off is that dealership says there is nothing wrong witht the car because the cars starts at the dealership. I am out of ideas and afraid the car may sustain permanent damage. What amazes me is that in our cars we don't have fuel filter, it is built in the fuel pump. Too bad cause I at least could change that filter in hope to solve the problem.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Most cars I have run into recently have the fuel filter built into the fuel pump. With some exception such as deliberate contamination of the fuel in your tank 99.9% of all gas stations pre filter their fuel sufficiently in combination with a clean fuel delivered to the station that your fuel filter is not really necessary. Of course for those .1% of stations where that isn't the case...............
-Matt

·
Registered
359 Posts
Point taken. Still it is damn embarrasing to get in 3 years old car and have problems starting the car. I will try call dealership in few days. I was thinking about recording on a digiatal camera, a movie how car stalls. But than they may disregart that.... :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.