Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like so many others, could use some extra dough. I have a decent job w/ a lot of hours, but I simply want more. I figured that since I wash/detail my own car so much, maybe I should do the same for others in order to make some side money. I have a small collection of good cleaning products, but I want to know a few things before I really get serious with this.

1. My collection of products/tools: 2 Buckets, a wash mitt, sponges, wheel brush, detailing brush, waffle style dryer towel, tons of microfiber towels, shopvac. Gold Class wash soap, Mothers clay bar kit, Advanage all purpose cleaner, Nu finish wax w/ plenty of applicators, mothers and meguire's detailing spray, rainx spray, frebreeze.
-Is there anything else I need in that department?
-I have a 5-door, so all my supplies should fit...

2. How much should I charge? I want to compete with local drive through places as well as waterway and others that take it further. I would also like to offer different options and pricing. I'm thinking along the lines of:

Basic: Wash, Vacuum, Window/Interior Cleaning - $12
Upgrade: Wash, Vacuum, Window/Interior Cleaning + Wheel/tire detail and Rain-x Treatment - $20
Advanced: Wash, Vacuum, Window/Interior Cleaning, Wheel/tire detail and Rain-x Treatment, Claybar + Fresh Waxing - $32

3. Advertising: Should I make business cards? Should I post up fliers? I work in a grocery store and I think I could hand out cards without anyone complaining. Newspaper ads?

4. Name of the business? My name is Trevor, but I was thinking I should make it catchy like Trevolution Detailing or Trev's Multistep Detailing.

5. I really want this to work, and It sounds like fun, so please give me your thoughts on what would make this jump off.

Thanks! :Hi5:

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Your prices are way to low and you will loose money doing it that way.

I do this and I charge based on the car and what they want done, every car is different.

You cant do a small car for lets say $50 and they charge a guy with an Extended cab Suburban the same amount, you will kill yourself on labor.

Clay bar kits cost $20 and should be charged to every customer, besides you really dont want to use a clay bar on more than 1 car, I gaurentee you it will get wore out with 1 application.

I chage a minimum of $40 per car no matter the size just for supplies then I base my labor on how long it will take and the size+ what services they want done.

I did 2 full size Suburbans last week, I charged just over $300, $100 of that was supplies.

I did the following on both - Wash, dry, clay-bar, polish, wheels, tires, engine, inside, carpets, mats, dash, vac + final detailing.

Basically I made the cars look as new as possible and it took me about 8 hours to complete both of them.

Do not set prices, this is how you will start loosing money, charge for supplies this way you always keep plenty on hand, base your labor charge on the size + services requested.

After you do a few you will soon see low prices will please the customer but keep you broke and out of supplies really quick.

I am doing business cards and fliers in my neighborhood.

I also hand out cards in stores like Wal-mart, I get customers in the automotive section, lots of people look lost in that section, I help them out and then give my sales pitch.

You want to make money, do this right, do not sell yourself short.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, I should have known that you were the person to talk to. As for pricing, $40 minimum may sway people from using me. I really don't think that amount is right especially if I'm only doing a quick wash and vac.

Also, do you travel to people's houses? Where do you work on all these cars?

How should I discern pricing based on what they want done. Charging the right amount is definitely the hardest part about this.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Well I mainly do a full service.

I did not mean charge $40 for supplies for a basic wash and dry.

People will still pay you $40 for a basic wash ,dry, detail easily.

I do everything at my house mostly, I have them come to me and drop off the car.

$40 that I charge included 1 clay bar kit, applicator pads, glass cleaner, detail spray,basic towels and cleaner wax.

This is how I keep my supplies stocked, then the labor cost is pure profit.

Charge less if all that is not needed.

I am not having any issues making moey the way I do it because everyone knows what a great job I do and most want the full service package deal.

I also offer full car show detailing, so those people are really picky, just like me.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what's cleaner wax? The same as hand-applied paste wax?

Also why is a whole bottle of window cleaner required to clean 1 set of windows? I don't need a whole set of applicators to wax only 1 car, etc.

I want to charge for supplies but I don't want people to think I am wasting money on products that aren't fully used.

Could you email me a flyer? I would like to see how you voice your service.

Thanks for all the help, what's your name?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=vtrin link=topic=139965.msg3016725#msg3016725 date=1238005431]
we have tons of places here that do a wash and vac for $10...
[/quote]

I know this, but there, cars run through those spinning mops of death that do horrible things to cars. I want to offer the best kind of wash to people who really care about how their car looks.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=TrevDaddy link=topic=139965.msg3016721#msg3016721 date=1238005364]
what's cleaner wax? The same as hand-applied paste wax?

Also why is a whole bottle of window cleaner required to clean 1 set of windows? I don't need a whole set of applicators to wax only 1 car, etc.

I want to charge for supplies but I don't want people to think I am wasting money on products that aren't fully used.

Could you email me a flyer? I would like to see how you voice your service.

Thanks for all the help, what's your name?
[/quote]

Cleaner wax is a product put out my Meguires it's like a polish / cleaner for fine swirl and scratch marks.

I dont charge everyone for the supplies all the time, mostly when it is a big suburban or I am doing 2 cars for 1 client, sometimes it is less.

I also offer these people discounts if they continue to use my services.

As far as sending you my flyer, sorry that is something you must do on your own, I do not want to share my secrets and advertisements.

I'm sure you can do some research online and find a few examples.

Name is Troy BTW.

[quote author=vtrin link=topic=139965.msg3016725#msg3016725 date=1238005431]
we have tons of places here that do a wash and vac for $10...
[/quote]

WOW $10 to wash and dry a car, all good if your 10 to 15 years old, I cant live on that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
[quote author=TrevDaddy link=topic=139965.msg3016733#msg3016733 date=1238005648]

I know this, but there, cars run through those spinning mops of death that do horrible things to cars. I want to offer the best kind of wash to people who really care about how their car looks.
[/quote]

no, they are hand wash places. Set up all over town actually, there are 3 within a 1 mile stretch down the street.

they are actually adults running the show and they are usually pretty packed. Only 1 of those three down the street never is full, but they are actually located in a commercial car wash location, go figure. they are in one of the parking spots.

the other two are 1 in a small strip mall where there is a laundry mat along with a beauty salon and men's barbershop and the other is located right at a major intersection in the area.

there is another in the parking lot of a mall here, but since I only go to it at lunch during work, I never see them busy. Weekends might differ though. That crew actually has a reclaimed water system to capture the water they use. Surprised they charge $10, but i'm sure its $10 and UP..

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Those hand wash places deal in high volume, they re-use dirty rags all the time, you risk getting your car scratched.

They are dealing with speedwash and dry, not detailing.

They can afford $10 a car cause they do it all day long.

I never take my car to those places.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=139965.msg3016917#msg3016917 date=1238010098]
Those hand wash places deal in high volume, they re-use dirty rags all the time, you risk getting your car scratched.

They are dealing with speedwash and dry, not detailing.

They can afford $10 a car cause they do it all day long.

I never take my car to those places.
[/quote]

I only go the lazy route when it's really cold outside. I want my paint to last as long as possible so I do it the right way.

[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=139965.msg3016745#msg3016745 date=1238005838]

Cleaner wax is a product put out my Meguires it's like a polish / cleaner for fine swirl and scratch marks.

I dont charge everyone for the supplies all the time, mostly when it is a big suburban or I am doing 2 cars for 1 client, sometimes it is less.

I also offer these people discounts if they continue to use my services.

As far as sending you my flyer, sorry that is something you must do on your own, I do not want to share my secrets and advertisements.

I'm sure you can do some research online and find a few examples.

Name is Troy BTW.[/quote]

Thanks man, I knew it was troy. :dur:

I'll talk to my pop about prices. It seems like upwards of $20 will be adequate for the basics, because I'm doing a very thorough wash and interior cleansing. For full wax treatment, prices will grow for labor and price of products. I'll work on that.

I also like the idea of doing it at my house. In the early morning (best time to clean a car) I have good shade and access to a garage.

I do also need to get some swirl remover and perhaps better wheel products. What wheel/tire products do you use? I'm tired of black magic bullshit. I think the foam applicator could be better.

I'm decently creative, so fliers and cards won't be that hard. I'll research.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts