Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following mods so far: Corksport DP, Mazdaspeed Cat-Back, Forge BPV, Injen CAI. I have the following mods on the way: Corksport FMIC, FP Internals, Corksport MP.

I am already having some boost cut/fuel cut, as the ECU is seeing boost higher than 18lbs during spikes. I figured that with a MBC and BCD I could control that, however from my brief reading this is not ideal.

Not sure if I would benefit from an AP as I have ZERO Cobb parts on the car, and my understanding is that their maps are designed for use with their own parts.

As for the Standback I have not researched it all that much and don't know how difficult it is to tune and get working.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
with your mods, I would go with the Standback with PNP. Its going to be much easier to get perfect.

As far as tuning, they will get you a baseline that will be very close out of the box (much better tune than you are currently running; for sure) and then any tuner in your area can get you dialed in. The SB is easy to tune.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=dabears2k link=topic=134682.msg2895850#msg2895850 date=1233160536]
with your mods, I would go with the Standback with PNP. Its going to be much easier to get perfect.

As far as tuning, they will get you a baseline that will be very close out of the box (much better tune than you are currently running; for sure) and then any tuner in your area can get you dialed in. The SB is easy to tune.
[/quote]

I think I am just going to get the Standback instead of wasting money on a MBC and BCD. Now to find a good price on the Standback!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would wait a couple of weeks since cobb is releasing access tuner race, which would allow you to tune with the ap. Then it won't matter if you have cobb parts or not. Don't forget that is you get a standback it cannot eliminate boost cut, you would have to pay an additional $500 and send your ecu to cpe. Know one knows for sure how much control cobb is going to give the end user with their software but its worth waiting to see. The standback is an excellent end user tuning device, but you will end up paying more money for it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Whichever route you choose, don't got with the MBC+BCD. That combo has cause more blown engines than the AP or SB.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the bc/map route is fine if you get pump internals and spray meth. you'll be safer than anybody in this thread as long as you keep the boost below 20psi.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
[quote author=ncbucksfan link=topic=134682.msg2899589#msg2899589 date=1233285245]
the bc/map route is fine if you get pump internals and spray meth. you'll be safer than anybody in this thread as long as you keep the boost below 20psi.
[/quote]

Yeah much safer than people running tunes. You crack me up man. Boost and map clamps are just the most dangerous mods you can do on a car with a sophisticated ecu.I just don't think its a good idea to bypass technological innovations that protect the engine from damage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
[quote author=dread link=topic=134682.msg2899840#msg2899840 date=1233292172]
[quote author=ncbucksfan link=topic=134682.msg2899589#msg2899589 date=1233285245]
[/quote]

Yeah much safer than people running tunes. You crack me up man. Boost and map clamps are just the most dangerous mods you can do on a car with a sophisticated ecu.I just don't think its a good idea to bypass technological innovations that protect the engine from damage.
[/quote]

+1

Plus, I have read some nasty stories about map clamps shorting out and frying the wire harness. Cutting into my engine's wire harness scares the sh*t out of me, which is why I love plug&play! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts