Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Mazda3 have a stainless exhaust system (pipes and muffler)? The brochure doesn't have that info. The one sales guy that I talked to gave me a blank look (won't be going back to that place)

Also, any info on what is done at the factory for rust-proofing? VW sprays some sort of waxy stuff into the body panels . Think my '95 Integra also had some sort of spray in the panels.

I plan to keep my cars for 8+ years so these things are important to me :D

Info for the Canadian market would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sounds like stainless to me. After a night of some spirited driving, I had a cig right by my car after I parked her and heard "tick.. tick.. tick.. tick".

Try it... I dont know the technical about why stainless exhausts tick after driving.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I doubt many cars come from the factory with stainless steel exhaust systems. Heck, even many aftermarket performance cat-back systems use aluminized pipes instead of stainless.

Some OEM exhaust systems are galvanized for better rust protection, but I doubt Mazda has it on the 3.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The tick doesnt lie. Then again, it could just be a stainless catalyst.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Both engines have stainless exhaust manifold. However the exhaust pipe and muffler is NOT stainless, then the end of the pipe has an outer stainless cylinder cover for cosmetic purpose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LeeLee said:
I doubt many cars come from the factory with stainless steel exhaust systems. Heck, even many aftermarket performance cat-back systems use aluminized pipes instead of stainless.

Some OEM exhaust systems are galvanized for better rust protection, but I doubt Mazda has it on the 3.
The exhaust system on our VW Passat is stainless. Also, the Toyota brochures for Matrix, Corolla, and Echo all have "stainless exhaust system" listed. Maybe they have a different definition for "exhaust system"?.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bluong1 said:
Both engines have stainless exhaust manifold. However the exhaust pipe and muffler is NOT stainless, then the end of the pipe has an outer stainless cylinder cover for cosmetic purpose.

Any info on rust-proofing?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Damn, you stumped him? :shock:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Airboy said:
LeeLee said:

The exhaust system on our VW Passat is stainless. Also, the Toyota brochures for Matrix, Corolla, and Echo all have "stainless exhaust system" listed. Maybe they have a different definition for "exhaust system"?.
I was not aware of that. Maybe it's a stainless steel muffler or something. I don't know. But it just makes so much f-ing sense to make the entire exhaust system out of stainless steel: it's not that much material, and it will last a life-time.

When the exhaust on my old '92 Accord rusted out for the second time 3 years ago, I slapped on an Apexi stainless steel cat-back system. When the flex pipe went, I threw in a DC Sports ceramic coated header system. These aftermarket parts cost the same as the OEM replacement parts, but they are the last ones the vehicle will ever need to see.

I just happen to have the Mazda3 specificiation booklet in front of me, which I downloaded from Mazda's web site. According to this, all Mazda3s have "Stainless steel exhaust maniold, main silencer and pipe". So I guess everything before the catalytic converter is probably stainless steel. That's good news. I wonder if I can pop those thigs out, take a wire wheel to them and give them a polish...

·
Registered
66 Posts
um, I believe that the entire system, cat-back is stainless.

Example, my '92 SE-R (all stainless), my '97 Wrangler (all stainless), my '03 Civic (all stainless).

It is almost certain that the entire exhaust is stainless, I read it somewhere (manual, sticker, somewhere, etc).

PS, I like to drink beer....

·
Registered
481 Posts
most cars sold nowadays have stainless steel exhausts (or at least a stainless muffler and back pipe as on some lower end cars)... granted the stainless steel may not be the highest quality stuff but its still SS and therefore will last quite a long time before rotting, especially compared to an aluminized system.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Vanishing Boy said:
What? So the Maz3 isn't rustproofed? that sucks.
dont worry... all cars are rust-proofed from the factory, if they weren't they would rust out in 3 or 4 years of hitting the road in wintery/salty climates. The "rustproofing" that dealerships add is usually just a gooey tar-like stuff that is sprayed on the underbody/suspension parts/brake lines/fuel lines etc, all these parts are not rust proofed in any way from the factory except maybe for a light coat of paint on the suspension parts. The goo also helps with sound deadening...

·
Registered
481 Posts
vaBooM said:
Rubberized undercoating :)
exactly... my dealership even has a Protege on its side in one of those rotating racks in the showroom to show you what's sprayed... i myself wouldnt spend the money on it (since i lease)...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I have cans and cans of the crap.

Id sell em if anyone needs 1 or 2. I bought em when an electronics company here went out of business.

·
Registered
224 Posts
reply to MZ3 ownz u question

The exhaust 'Ticks' when you shut off the car because the metal is contracting as it cools.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Re: reply to MZ3 ownz u question

Titanium said:
The exhaust 'Ticks' when you shut off the car because the metal is contracting as it cools.
A normal aluminum exhaust will tick.. just not as long or loud as stainless. Either its stainless or not, in a few months its gonna be outta there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts