Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should have posted this ins the suspension section, but pertaining to a speed3..

Has anyone run 225's on the front while maintaining 215 on the rear? I remember in the hatchback days some guys would run 17's on the front and 16's on the rear, but while keeping the stock wheel, has anyone staggered tire sizes?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you not rotate your tires, which is causing you to only need 2 tires?

If not, get all 4 tires in the same width.

If you are only replacing 2 tires, I'd put the new tires on back and wear out the 2 old tires on front, then replace those remaining 2 to have all 4 tires at the same width.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
[quote author=Ox link=topic=135850.msg2925780#msg2925780 date=1234241630]
Not sure if I should have posted this ins the suspension section, but pertaining to a speed3..

Has anyone run 225's on the front while maintaining 215 on the rear? I remember in the hatchback days some guys would run 17's on the front and 16's on the rear, but while keeping the stock wheel, has anyone staggered tire sizes?
[/quote]

technically speaking, i would imagine that this would be better for handling in general. it sounds like it would take away some of the understeer this way, but practically speaking, it's going to be hell on maintaining your tires...:x

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
compsi I guess that could work, only thing is I'll have bigger rear's on a FWD car.. that should be interesting...

However I do wish to do that so I can wear down these stock rubbers and get something nicer.

I wonder how it would affect the handling, but if no one has tried it I'm not so sure it works well..

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
putting wider tires on the front will decrease understeer (and is really a better way of doing so than using a larger rear bar), this is assuming it is the same tires and just in different sizing. Putting larger tires on the rear will increase understeer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts