Mazda3 Forums banner

SPT's on snow

630 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wetsuitxninja 
#1 ·
The other day I went up to the mountains with them on, there wasnt much of a chance for rain\snow, so I left the SPTs on. Sure enough, soon as I get to a few thousand feet, starts raining, little higher, I noticed snow falling from the sky. Pulled into the resort without any hassle from the snow, it wasnt sticking to the ground...yet

A few hours later I leave, its been snowing the whole time. Im thinkin uh oh. The roads recieved a good dusting, no more than an inch or so. I start down, made a few quick stops and turns in the parking lot to see how its going to pan out, everything felt pretty legit. Ive driven with them on snow before and they felt pretty sketchy, so I am now thinkin that the other time I drove in snow, it had a ice layer below it, which was why they so scary.

Anyways ending to the story, is that in a slight dusting, they proved to get me home safe. Felt comfortable the whole time.

Im still very satisfied with them.

#2 ·
yeah when we had ice 2wks ago, my spt's got the job done.

they have to meet a standard to get DOT approval, so you just have to be smart how you drive with them.

#3 ·
[quote author=the415 link=topic=68434.msg1182398#msg1182398 date=1170393530]
yeah when we had ice 2wks ago, my spt's got the job done.

they have to meet a standard to get DOT approval, so you just have to be smart how you drive with them.
[/quote]

Yeah thats true, but at the same time, my RSA's felt like I had no traction. The spts still felt like they were pulling pretty smoothly.

I dont plan on using the SPTs when I know there is going to be snow, id hate to curb the rota's dont care so much about the p5 wheels ive got the aASTs on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.