Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is coming and I will have to put summer tires on my stock 17"x6.5 mags. I think I will go with 215/50/17 tires which have the same overall diameter as the RS-A.

I made a shortlist of 215/50/17 tires that I am interested in:

Dunlop SP Sport 9000
Pirelli P7000 SuperSport
Michelin Pilot Primacy
BFGoodrich Traction T/A V
or maybe the BFGoodrich KDW2 in 205/50/17

So far I am very tempted by the Pirelli P7000SS, I'm having a great experience with my Pirelli Winter SnowSport210 on my Mazda 3.

Please let me know what you think. I am looking for something that will last longer than Pilot Sport or SO-3.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yah does anyone know any good discussion boards that talk about tires? I know tireracks has reviews but its not really a discussion board per say.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I've heard good things about the Kumho MX, the Yokohama ES100s and Falken (don't remember which one) tires. For me, I went with the Yokohamas just to try something different (otherwise I would have gone with Toyo).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the T1-S before on my Saab and although the grip was great I had one tire that was not round and wore out very quickly. I find that overall quality of the tires were not at par with the price. I said that I would try something different for this time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What about the Bridgestone RE750 ?

I don't have personal experience with them but a friend of mine is thinking of putting those on his WRX. However, it's going to take some time before I can get some feedback from him...

BTW, UTQG: 340-AA-A

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE730's are pretty good, dunno how they compare with the 750 though. Yoko's I hear are pretty good.

Nitto Dr's are good, but look to replace them every 6 months to a year depending on where and how you use them. Similar to the T1-S I'd assume

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The RE750 might be a good idea but they are SOOO expensive ! Basically the same price as the SO-03. In a case of all year usage I would pick RE750 because they would last longer but for people living in northern states and provinces that are using winter tires... in that case the SO-03 is a better choice that would provide more fun than the 750's !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please give us your comments when you will ride them !

So far I'm think I will go for the Pirelli P7000 SuperSport (215/50/17). I'll make my choice by the end of the month.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I saw some Michelin Pilot Sports on a GTI today--they looked like they have excellent bite judging by the tread. I think those are going to be my next tires if I can find them at a good price. Other good choices, from what I've heard, are the Kumho (funny name) 712s, Bridgestone 950 or 750s, and Yokohama tires.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My neighbor has a GTI 337 that comes with Pilot Sports. He is delighted with those.

I really like and considering the Pilot Sports but I prefer the "N2" version which is similar to the famous MXX3:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+Rib

They are the same price as the regular Pilot Sports with better dry handling but at the price of wet handling.

Just got a quote from Tiretrends for Continental ContiSport Contact 2: 1110$ including tax and shipping. A lot of money but it's a good deal. Didn't make up my mind yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're going cheap and only summer Falken Azeni Sport.
If you're going expensive and only summer BF Goodrich Comp T/A KD or Yoko AO32R (I think thats the r compounds name)
If you still want wet traction (though the azenis arent as bad as people say, driven on them in a hurricane in a sub 2k lb civic hatch) go with 712s for cheap, S03 for expensive.

T1-S's are the lightest ultra high performance tire just fyi.

Pilot Sports, while praised by many, are not so good in my opinion but they had to follow the Comp T/A KD's so they weren't gonna live up to them anyhow.

Yes I have driven on all of these tires, many on multiple types of cars (swapped, stripped civic hatches, RX7s, MR-S, MKIV Supra, WRX) and would recommend any of these tires as good performance tires, some with decent all season capabilities (the Comp T/A's were totally useless in anything but nice weather). Tire choice is truly up to you since only you know how you like your car to feel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I ran Pirelli P7000SS in 225/45/17 size on my 94 Probe GT... I can't say they were great, and I can't say they were horrible. Don't look for much from them in the snow. I broke a belt in 2 seperate tires, too, running over road debris at night. Like I said, they weren't a horrible tire... but I won't be getting them again. I got S02 PPs on that car after the Pirellis and never looked back.

I've run the S03s on my 95 Miata (in fact they're on it now), and I love them. Street, autox, and track use... fantastic wet and dry traction. I'd buy them again in an instant. They do tramline on the highway, though.

I will be running Azenis on my turbo car this year. I need the added grip; I can get it sideways around turns in 4th gear on the current Turanzas.

I wouldn't go making assumptions about a summer or all-season tire based on your experiences with a manufacturer's winter tire; apples and oranges.

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally made a decision... it will be the Pilot Sport (N2 Porsche version).

I placed an order at a local store. A bit more expensive but I have a great service there. Will have them on the mags this coming weekend but I'll wait until May to put them on the car. Will post comments.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've just purchased Yokohama AVS ES100. Though they're pretty expensive (not as much as Michelin Pilot) the value they offer makes this tire the best deal on a bang for the buck basis (IMHO). They have incredible grip, treadwear is reasonable, AND they look great!!!

I would reccomend them to anyone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TitaniumGT3 said:
I've just purchased Yokohama AVS ES100. Though they're pretty expensive (not as much as Michelin Pilot) the value they offer makes this tire the best deal on a bang for the buck basis (IMHO). They have incredible grip, treadwear is reasonable, AND they look great!!!

Please give us your driving impressions (like noise, dry and wet traction, etc). thanks ! Did you put them on yet ? Maybe we will get some more snow... :?

·
Registered
59 Posts
TitaniumGT3 said:

I considered the ES100 for a while.. I then started looking at the Dunlop Sport SP9000. About the same price but listed as a "Max Performance" whereas the ES100 is listed as a "Ultra High" (lower class). Don’t know if it makes a difference or not... I don't think that this is the reason why I stopped looking at the ES100, can't remember why. :(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts