Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. so i was testing the car tonight, and some things puzzle me.

why am i boosting 9psi. i have the t3/t4 turbo with a tial 38mm wastegate and a 3 inch dp and exhaust.
i hope juan at hiboost will reply to this post, because he sold me the kit

is it dangeroust to be at 9psi. and also the turbo comes in at 3200-3500rpm, that is probably regular because of such a big turbo.

are other turbo cars here having flaming issues :D i mean the exhaust shoots flames like 20 inches or so after every gear and when i downshift most of the time, and loud explosions.

under real pressure of the car. like in 3rd when on full boost the a/f is 11.8 to 12.2 that is a little lean right ?

i have parked the car for further research of theese things.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, forgot to mention. the outside temp was -1 degree celcius. does that come into play with the higher boost ?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
9lbs is fine. what lb wastegate spring do you have?

that afr is rich. a little too rich.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 0,5 bar spring.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
...on a side note, DUDE, someone video those flames!!!!!!!

back on topic, except for the flames, everything sounds fine for the 2.0? A/F isn't bad, could go a bit either way and still be OK, 9psi on the 2.0 is plenty safe from what's been tested.

at point .5, you should be closer to 8psi than 9, but with the 3" dp, that might lead to a bit of the variance?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
wait....did i ask for a vid of the flames yet??

though i think 20" sounds a bit extreem (that's like an rx-7), but anything would be cool to see!

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
did u say u have some explosions?
detonation?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
unless it's followed by a lot of smoke and metal being thrown through the firewall.....i'd "guess" that loud explosions refers to a backfire. when i was playing with my tune, if i was on the rich side, then went off throttle (very lean) i'd get a nice crackle/backfire....don't think i got flames though, and i don't have a cat (but have 2 mufflers)

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
runing reach = detonation (explosion like u said)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Lethal,

11.8 to 12.2 is the correct AFR. I wouyld say is very close to perfect. ) psi is very safe on the 2.0, however, make sure that the engine is not pinging. Did you get the boost controller?

The backfires are because you are running a lean mixture under deceleration which is not bad at all. Is your car a cable operated thottle body? We might need to setup the TPS.

Let me know and I will guide you a fix for this.

Juan

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm.. what is pinging. i did no install the boost controller, thought i did not have to use it since i am boosting so low. yes i have cable throttle body. and ihave resetted the tps in the haltech.

·
Registered
18,652 Posts
[quote author=LethaL3 link=topic=71211.msg1251615#msg1251615 date=1173194563]
Hmm.. what is pinging. i did no install the boost controller, thought i did not have to use it since i am boosting so low. yes i have cable throttle body. and ihave resetted the tps in the haltech.
[/quote]
Knocking (also called pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when air/fuel mixture in the cylinder has been ignited by the spark plug and the smooth burning is interrupted by the unburned mixture in the combustion chamber exploding before the flame front can reach it. The engineered combusting process ceases, because of the explosion, before the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressures increase catastrophically.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[/quote]

you will hear pinging (if it is what you have) if you hear carefully,,,its sounds a bit like a small metal noise

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
havent heard anything like that. but those injectors click alot

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
[quote author=LethaL3 link=topic=71211.msg1252853#msg1252853 date=1173228778]
but those injectors click alot
[/quote]

yeah, but its normal, dont worry 'bout that

·
Registered
656 Posts
[/quote]

Ok, so now go into the fuel setup and enable the decel fuel cutoff. This will eliminate the backfires when decelerating.

·
Registered
656 Posts
[quote author=LethaL3 link=topic=71211.msg1252853#msg1252853 date=1173228778]
havent heard anything like that. but those injectors click alot
[/quote]

You need to listen to pinging when on boost and full throttle. What octane fuel do you get there?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we got 98octane. but ive heard its the same as super there in the usa. just different values or something.

this pinging you talk about. is it loud. because i have 3" exhaust with only the rear muffler, and a wastegate screamer pipe. and that shit is loud.

there is a semi pro tuner going to fix the map in the car. maybe he knows few things.

what type of oil do you recomennd for this engine setup.

and also. any word on that fuel pump, maybe a tracking number ?

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts