Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2005 mazda3 2.3 and have been wanting to do a spin on conversion but i didnt know which one i need. street unit sells 2 different ones and i was wondering if i need the 1 with the oil cooler or not. i would look and find out but my car has been in and out of the shop so i havent had time to look.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I bought a Mazda 2.0L one for about $35 from onlinemazdaparts.com.

·
Registered
860 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everybody i appreciate it :respect:

·
Registered
208 Posts
FYI, I just ordered a kit from onlinemazda and wanted you guys to know that they said if you have an '07 or newer nonspeed 3 that it DOES have an oil cooler on top. Hope this helps.

Update: The above statement is incorrect. Have your vin# ready before you order!

·
Registered
860 Posts
The dealer by me made a big fit when they were replacing my motor (stupid hydrolock) that I had the spin on conversion. Saying that the oil pressure wouldn't be right and all that jazz.... They wouldn't put the spin on, on the new motor so I had them remove it from the old motor. I just need to find some time to put it back on. At least I have an extra oil pressure sensor now :)

I think they were just jealous that they didn't think of it. I have seem a comparison somewhere about the drop in filter vs spin on and there is no noticeable pressure difference from what I remember. Any one have an oil pressure gauge that can confirm this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=135297.msg3081470#msg3081470 date=1240587211]
The dealer by me made a big fit when they were replacing my motor (stupid hydrolock) that I had the spin on conversion. Saying that the oil pressure wouldn't be right and all that jazz.... They wouldn't put the spin on, on the new motor so I had them remove it from the old motor. I just need to find some time to put it back on. At least I have an extra oil pressure sensor now :)

I think they were just jealous that they didn't think of it. I have seem a comparison somewhere about the drop in filter vs spin on and there is no noticeable pressure difference from what I remember. Any one have an oil pressure gauge that can confirm this?
[/quote]
i have an oil pressure gauge but havent installed it yet :(

·
Registered
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
So do I just buy from onlinemazdaparts.com the spin on conversion and then prosport oil pressure. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=135297.msg3081450#msg3081450 date=1240586796]
or you can get it at your local dealer
i got mine for 30 at the dealer
[/quote]

onlinemazdaparts.com is a done through a local dealer (Montgomery Mazda) and yours was only $30 because you don't have an oil cooler. Mazda list is $60ish for those of us that do and it comes w/ the housing, gasket, and a filter...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=LuisDC link=topic=135297.msg3082131#msg3082131 date=1240605852]
So do I just buy from onlinemazdaparts.com the spin on conversion and then prosport oil pressure. Have you tried it?
[/quote]
no i havent yet but this is something i am about to order because i need to have somethin where i can run my oil pressure sensor instead of drillin the pan

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I plan on changing my oil soon, and would love to do this conversion at the same time. My question is, how involved is the install? Is it necessary to remove the splash guard to access the housing?

If I do this, is it totally necessary to setup an oil pressure gauge? Also does the kit from onlinemazdaparts have a filter included, or will I have to buy one? Thanks,

Trev

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=TrevDaddy link=topic=135297.msg3103776#msg3103776 date=1241522191]
I plan on changing my oil soon, and would love to do this conversion at the same time. My question is, how involved is the install? Is it necessary to remove the splash guard to access the housing?

If I do this, is it totally necessary to setup an oil pressure gauge? Also does the kit from onlinemazdaparts have a filter included, or will I have to buy one? Thanks,

Trev
[/quote]
this mod literally took me like 10 minutes to do it. no you do not have to setup an oil pressure gauge but me running turbo i am apt to do it. yes you will need to remove the splash guard to get to it

·
Registered
208 Posts
[quote author=TrevDaddy link=topic=135297.msg3103776#msg3103776 date=1241522191]

Trev
[/quote]

It's only 4 bolts to take off and yes, Jason will send you a filter too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I do have a question for those that have done the conversion. The green and black conector that goes into the side of the housing, how does it come out? It's not like the standard plug that has a push lever and I am worried I may break it. I'll try to get a pick up for reference. I meant to ask Jason (Mont. Mazda) when I was there but forgot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts