Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for your advise here:

Yesterday at noon I was tagged doing 48 in a 30 by EP police.
I was stupid and basically admitted guilt. (I'm a noob to tickets and police)
I have a clean record up to now, so what should I do?

Pay the ticket ($142) or go to court and try to go on probation for it so it doens't hit my record...?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well I read this whole report on how to squeeze your way out of these.

Tips:
1. Keep Postponing the court date somehow. If the officer is a no show the fine is dropped.
2. Show up very well dressed.
3. If there is doubt where the officer was (hiding) and the tactics used to stop you bring that up.
4. Ask for the officers license to operate the speed gun. (needs this to be credible reading)
5. Ask for the maintenance records of the speed gun. (needs to be up to date)
6. Don't admit fault in court, even though you did on the street which is why you postpone so he forgets you.
7. If all else fails just ask for a lesser fine or probation.

Just look up some more stuff on the web, there is always an answer on the web.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Agreed. If your record is clean, you can almost always get off with court fees+probation. Typically it's the standard one year no same or similar. As far as the cop goes, you were right to admit guilt. If you hadn't the first thing the cop would have done is yanked out out of the car and tagged you for every sinlge little piddly BS he could have. And your ticket would have been triple. I've admitted to speeding probably a dozen times, and I have 4 tickets, all of which I MORE than deserved. The rest the cop dropped because I was cool with him. EP cops are douchbags I will say that. But anynow go fight it. It'll probably be worth your time.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=65025.msg1115032#msg1115032 date=1166655620]
Agreed. If your record is clean, you can almost always get off with court fees+probation. Typically it's the standard one year no same or similar. As far as the cop goes, you were right to admit guilt. If you hadn't the first thing the cop would have done is yanked out out of the car and tagged you for every sinlge little piddly BS he could have. And your ticket would have been triple. I've admitted to speeding probably a dozen times, and I have 4 tickets, all of which I MORE than deserved. The rest the cop dropped because I was cool with him. EP cops are douchbags I will say that. But anynow go fight it. It'll probably be worth your time.
[/quote]

Thats what I figured even though almost everyone else says the opposite: don't admit guilt.
I didn't want the $150 tint ticket!

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Here's my philosophy: Once you get pulled over, the cop is holding all the cards. Being courteous and owning up to the offense they know you were committing may not get you out of every single ticket, but being an uncooperative dick will not get you out of a single one--it'll just lead to them writing you another ticket for the air freshener hanging from your mirror. If you want to dispute the ticket, the place to do it is in court.

I think the reason a lot of people say not to admit guilt to the cop is that then once you're in court you can't have that held against you. But unless you're racking up tickets like mad, I figure it's best to try to avoid the problem in the first place--do everything you can to avoid the ticket in the first place.

I think Stephan gave some good tips. I would just be wary of trying to appear as some little dick who enjoys jerking the system around. Never having been to court myself, I get the impression that just showing up and raising some doubt as to the validity of the ticket can go a long way when it comes to getting your fine reduced, or not accumulating points on your record. I doubt you'd get the ticket dismissed, but if you can at least keep it from being reported to your insurance company, that's worth it right there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Another good tip is if you need to get somewhere fast, don't use the carpool lane if it's just you, the fine is more than speeding.
The only ticket I have, F##$(* crabby state patrol woman. $160 or something..... :madthrow:

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
[quote author=3 For The Money link=topic=65025.msg1115118#msg1115118 date=1166659290]
The only ticket I have, F##$(* crabby state patrol woman. 160 or something..... :madthrow:
[/quote]

When I first read that, I thought you meant the ticket was for doing 160! :lol: I'm thinkin... christ, I'd just be happy to have that shit on paper!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Shit no but it's buggin me hardcore, It either went away or got worse and is now a full leak.
I put my car up on the jack and listened under the car and ruled out the Cat back system,
it sounds more like it's coming from the back of the engine between the Manifold and the flex pipe, WTF.
It sounds like I can hear the valve train more too but that might just be the 25k miles on it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Even if you decide to just pay the ticket, it's unlikely that one ticket will adversely affect your insurance or anything very severely -- as long as you have a clean record. My mom got a speeding ticket a few years ago (in my old car, no less), and State Farm didn't care.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Most insurances will give one free grace ticket. Now if your record looked anything like mine, there'd be an issue. But I think you'll be fine. Go to court, look presentable, judges are usually pretty cool and too busy putting away people with DWI's, to mess with some BS ticket.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Josh, if you don't have any tickets on your record, here is what you need to do. Schedule an appointment with the hearing officer and request that the citation be continued for dismissal. Hennepin County, Ramsey County, and several others in MN have a standard agreement that you can use to your advantage. Basically what you do is plead guilty with the status of the violation continued for dismissal. You pay the fine, but the ticket does not go on your record. They run your driver's record and if you do not have another violation within the next 12 months, the whole violation is dismissed (you do NOT get your money back however) and there is no record of it. You can then do it again, and again, if you want to keep paying the fines. There was a huge article on this in the Star and Tribune a few years ago. The referred it to the "rich man's" ticket because you could keep doing it every year and a day as long as you wanted to pay the fine.

Just make sure you take it easy for the next 12 months!! I think it is 12 months from the date of the ticket, not the date the fine was paid but I am not sure so ask them about it. If you admitted to the speed, you will be found guilty anyway and have to pay a fine. You might as well do what you can to make sure it doesn't go on your record.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
^^^^^^ is a great idea if you can afford to pay the ticket. But $142 is a shitload of money (at least to me), so if you can't you might as well try to get out of it in court. If the cop doesn't show up in court, you're home free, but it's kind of a crapshoot as the suburbs are always hungry for ticket money.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
A lot of times though the judge will slap you with court fees and make you pay on the spot. Sometimes it'll cost you more initially to get out of a ticket than you would just paying. It's worth fighting it in the long run.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shawn's post is the best option, shelly had to do that. like i said i already admitted guilt on the spot (probably a stupid thing, maybe not.)
i can afford the ticket, i can't afford a bad driver's record. (future jobs possibly, insurance $, etc...)
so i'll go for the continued for dismissal.
i'll let you all know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[quote author=mndsm link=topic=65025.msg1116052#msg1116052 date=1166721500]
Cool. It should work out fine. Courts just want loot, they don't care how they get it.
[/quote]

you forgot blood! they want loot and blood!!!

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[quote author=Operator link=topic=65025.msg1116094#msg1116094 date=1166722653]
There are a couple write ups about fighting a ticket in the elec section.
[/quote]

i'll take a look, thx!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts