Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
[quote author=Mizzle link=topic=153340.msg3280751#msg3280751 date=1250359997]
Assuming you wanted to run 87 octane, you could:

Install colder plugs, fill with 87 octane, retard timing 1 or 2 deg. & unplug your battery and let the system re-learn.
[/quote]

1) Colder plugs are a no no in this case. They will foul.
2) Retard the timing? How?
3) Re-learn what exactly?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
[quote author=GT1 link=topic=153340.msg3283407#msg3283407 date=1250541904]
1) Colder plugs are a no no in this case. They will foul.
2) Retard the timing? How?
3) Re-learn what exactly?
[/quote]

I said colder plugs to prevent a hotter plug from lighting the mix before it's time. *shrugs*
...the opposite of the advanced ignition timing mod?
Just the way the car runs / when it knocks / where the timing is / etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Octane rating is the gas' resistance to detonation, the higher the rating, the higher the resistance. Running a lower octane than recommended could cause knock/engine ping. I'm commenting on this from pure memory so feel free to correct any false statements. Also, octane to some degree is a measure of oil refining, lower octane could cause pre-mature sludge deposits. For any high-powered vehicle, especially turbo'd ones octane matters greatly. I see you have a regular 3, high octane does nothing for us except maybe a slight loss of low-end due to the increased detonation resistance. Running race gas (100+ octane) would benefit a Speed GREATLY where as for us it does nothing. Trust me, I've run 100 octane in my car and it made no difference.
I think the nature of this question is the same as mine. If you are in a pinch without premium gas or put the wrong gas in your Mazdaspeed 3, will it cause large amounts of damage. Ie one tank of gas, not consistent fill ups of regular.

I have this same question.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts