Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may seem like a dumb "thought" but, I asked myself today, Why do car manufactures make cars like the mazda 3, that go 140-160 Mph...when the highest speed limit I found has been 75mph. Those speeds of 100+ are known to be hazardous road driving...So why implement it? Is it for street racing purposes? The highest I've hit on a car is 105, on a highway...It felt exciting...Lol. Anyways, Maybe I am dumb, but I am just curious.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
There are plenty of legal ways to get the car up to those speeds. You can take it to an HPDE and learn how to handle your car on a real track, for example.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
[quote author=Murdoc52 link=topic=135929.msg2927305#msg2927305 date=1234299932]
Is it for street racing purposes?
[/quote]
^That is the only "stupid" part of your question. Of course its not for street racing, manufactures would never, and will never advocate street racing.

Also without removing the governor, you will never see more than 118mph with a 3 anyhow. Would you rather your speedo end at say 80mph? Probably not, it would look strange. So they throw some more numbers on there to maybe even things out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you're saying its a gimmick?

Also, when I stated street racing purposes I meant, the races cities do on a weekend basis where spectators are involved. You know at a local run-down track. Sorry it wasn't clear.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I don't know if i would exactly call it a gimmick, but part of the definition of gimmick is to increase appeal, so in a way it is i suppose. If i had the option between a car that had a speedo that ended at 80 and one that looked more ascetically pleasing and modern which ended at 140 i would choose the latter. The speedo just looks more well rounded with more numbers. I think you are looking into it to far. Almost every single newer car has a speedo that reads more than what the car is capable of, or more than what the car will be allowed to do off the factory line (governor).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that the indicator always showed more mph than what was offered. I was just asking Why it is even allowed to go 118 and such. You know?

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
because there aren't any restrictions on max velocity from the government, thus a car manf. imposing such a restriction would most likely send potential customers to a competitor. People don't like restrictions, even if said restrictions will most likely not affect them. Just look on m3f, people stay bitching about the 118MPH limiter even though hitting 118 on a n/a mazda 3 is a joke.

And you can easily go above 75mph with good reason, i.e passing people on a highway with a 70-75mph speed limit.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
[quote author=Murdoc52 link=topic=135929.msg2927387#msg2927387 date=1234301398]
Also, when I stated street racing purposes I meant, the races cities do on a weekend basis where spectators are involved. You know at a local run-down track. Sorry it wasn't clear.
[/quote]
Ok cool. I was worried you meant the other type of street racing.

[quote author=Murdoc52 link=topic=135929.msg2927419#msg2927419 date=1234301902]
I understand that the indicator always showed more mph than what was offered. I was just asking Why it is even allowed to go 118 and such. You know?
[/quote]
I don't have an answer. Because its fun? lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would say because everyone that is a car enthuisist or watches racing wants to go fast. You may never go 207 in a bugatti but to brag or know that you can is what your buying. most people won't go to 155 in there speed but we can and we want to know we can. Why do we have land speed records for street cars?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The manufacturers aren’t purposely making “average cars” high-speed cars. It just happens because of aerodynamics.

In the very early 1980’s, I recall a Road and Track article that discussed aerodynamics. In the article, they started with a 1980ish Chevy Citation with a standard 2.8-liter engine (about 110 hp). I believe it had a drag coefficient of .43 and a top speed of 105 mph. The article compared the Citation to a concept car of exact same size, weight, 2.8-liter engine, transmission and final gear ratio. This other car however had a drag coefficient of .22. With the same drivetrain, its top speed was 122 mph. The slippery shape permitted a much higher top speed with the same power.

Even though our 145-155 hp cars may not feel like a high performance car, because our drag coefficients are .29-.32 (depending on exact Mazda 3 model), it is still enough power to push them to 120+ mph. Almost any V6 family car today (NOT SUV) could probably exceed 145 mph if not for governors.

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
[quote author=Funandfrugal link=topic=135929.msg2928036#msg2928036 date=1234316773]
The manufacturers aren’t purposely making “average cars” high-speed cars. It just happens because of aerodynamics.

In the very early 1980’s, I recall a Road and Track article that discussed aerodynamics. In the article, they started with a 1980ish Chevy Citation with a standard 2.8-liter engine (about 110 hp). I believe it had a drag coefficient of .43 and a top speed of 105 mph. The article compared the Citation to a concept car of exact same size, weight, 2.8-liter engine, transmission and final gear ratio. This other car however had a drag coefficient of .22. With the same drivetrain, its top speed was 122 mph. The slippery shape permitted a much higher top speed with the same power.

Even though our 145-155 hp cars may not feel like a high performance car, because our drag coefficients are .29-.32 (depending on exact Mazda 3 model), it is still enough power to push them to 120+ mph. Almost any V6 family car today (NOT SUV) could probably exceed 145 mph if not for governors.

[/quote]

I don't think the op is asking for the physics behind it as much as why the limiter isn't a more reasonable number.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll put in my point-o-two. I wonder if there any actuaries here that have 3's. Anyway. You see a lot of 100-120 as a limit for production cars/trucks. I would imagine insurance companies set rates based partly on available top speed. Conversely, manufacturers' set limits lower to keep that insurance cost comparable to other models. Why 100-120? Montana?

·
Registered
239 Posts
[quote author=alpha732 link=topic=135929.msg2928258#msg2928258 date=1234322417]
[quote author=Funandfrugal link=topic=135929.msg2928036#msg2928036 date=1234316773]

[/quote]

I don't think the op is asking for the physics behind it as much as why the limiter isn't a more reasonable number.
[/quote]

My mistake. Sorry. It seems this could easily turn into a quasi-Big Brother discussion. I’m sure we could all argue that reasonable top speed limitations would increase safety. But should we give our government the power to ultimately decide what is safe for us? At what point would it infringe on other “self destructive” personal freedoms like smoking cigarettes, liquor, fast-food, gambling, etc.? Also, if all cars had a top speed of 80-85 mph, what would that do to the car industry? Would you still feel the same urge to buy an MS3 or Corvette?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Hey If our cars only did 70 to 80 mph the cops would not be giving out tickets, we cant have that, the world would end LOL!!

Sad but true, if all cars were cut off at let's say 80 mph nobody would buy a Corvette because they could buy a Kia and go the same speed.

The world car market is driven by speed and performance, we are just naturally screwed in the head, must go faster :lol:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
[quote author=Funandfrugal link=topic=135929.msg2928820#msg2928820 date=1234358987]
Also, if all cars had a top speed of 80-85 mph, what would that do to the car industry? Would you still feel the same urge to buy an MS3 or Corvette?

[/quote]

i would never buy a new car again, unless there was an easy way to get rid of the limiter... 85 mph on a cross country trip every 6 months. hell noes

[quote author=alpha732 link=topic=135929.msg2927441#msg2927441 date=1234302291]
Just look on m3f, people stay bitching about the 118MPH limiter even though hitting 118 on a n/a mazda 3 is a joke.
[/quote]
would you mind explaining?

to the op
our society has rules but also we trust each other not to break them to a certain extent. the speed limiter is one example. no public road in the u.s legally allows you to drive that fast, for good reason. you could argue that 65-75 mph is too slow for modern highway speed limits but making a law requiring a governor to go that speed would give people an impression that their government doesn't trust them. and after all we are a country of the people for the people. you could argue this is like gun laws in this country many states make it difficult to own a weapon because people commit crimes with them. just because someone could decide to drive their car 118 mph and break the law (get a gun and shoot someone / rob a liquor store) doesnt mean you should punish the ones who want to take their cars to the track and push them legally (defend themselves and/or family/home).

·
Registered
290 Posts
I rather suspect the real reason for electronic speed limiters isn't to protect us from ourselves, but to allow the use of tires that aren't rated for higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
[quote author=lanny link=topic=135929.msg2929134#msg2929134 date=1234369371]
I rather suspect the real reason for electronic speed limiters isn't to protect us from ourselves, but to allow the use of tires that aren't rated for higher speeds.
[/quote]

yup

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
[quote author=T-time link=topic=135929.msg2928841#msg2928841 date=1234360493]
[quote author=Funandfrugal link=topic=135929.msg2928820#msg2928820 date=1234358987]
Also, if all cars had a top speed of 80-85 mph, what would that do to the car industry? Would you still feel the same urge to buy an MS3 or Corvette?

[/quote]

i would never buy a new car again, unless there was an easy way to get rid of the limiter... 85 mph on a cross country trip every 6 months. hell noes

[quote author=alpha732 link=topic=135929.msg2927441#msg2927441 date=1234302291]
Just look on m3f, people stay bitching about the 118MPH limiter even though hitting 118 on a n/a mazda 3 is a joke.
[/quote]
would you mind explaining?

to the op
our society has rules but also we trust each other not to break them to a certain extent. the speed limiter is one example. no public road in the u.s legally allows you to drive that fast, for good reason. you could argue that 65-75 mph is too slow for modern highway speed limits but making a law requiring a governor to go that speed would give people an impression that their government doesn't trust them. and after all we are a country of the people for the people. you could argue this is like gun laws in this country many states make it difficult to own a weapon because people commit crimes with them. just because someone could decide to drive their car 118 mph and break the law (get a gun and shoot someone / rob a liquor store) doesnt mean you should punish the ones who want to take their cars to the track and push them legally (defend themselves and/or family/home).
[/quote]

People complain about the 118MPH speed limiter even though hitting 118 in a reasonable amount of time in a n/a 3 is a joke, imagine how people would complain if the limiter were 90mph.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i can hit it in a reasonable amount of time... less than a mile after the start of the on ramp

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
[quote author=T-time link=topic=135929.msg2929452#msg2929452 date=1234376649]
i can hit it in a reasonable amount of time... less than a mile after the start of the on ramp
[/quote]

I guess reasonable is subjective.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts