Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate some opinions here. I am still saving up for the 3, and evaluating the value of a specced up Neo vs Maxx Sport (no point comparing to Maxx IMO).

Neo $21,490
+ Power pack $700
+ Safety pack $1,600
+ Cruise control/audio control (wheel mounted) $572
Total $24,362

Maxx Sport $26,175
adds (compared to up-specced Neo)
- darker interior trim
- colour coded grille strip/door handles/side protection mouldings
wouldn't matter as much if I get a dark coloured car, say black or nordic green
- 6 CD stacker can live without
- front fog lights Nice, but can live without
- side skirts Nice, but can live without
- 16" alloys Nice...
- rear spoiler Nice, but can live without
+ cruise control (wheel mounted) $572
Total $26,747

The price difference is $2,385. The only items that gives weight to my consideration is the darker interior trim and the 16" alloys, which I don't think is worth the extra $2k (remember that I'm still saving :cry: ). I suppose it boils down to personal preferences, but what would you do if you're faced with the same dilemma? Would you pay the extra $2k?

(PS This all happened when Mazda decided to give the wheel-mounted audio controls for free when you buy cruise control on the Neo. Funny how a little gadget like that can really sway your purchasing decisions :wink: )

M

·
0 Posts
I personally would..

I would also personally pay the extra 6k or so for the SP23...

Which i did.. :D :D :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why aren't you comparing to the Maxx?
If you're getting the power and safety pack you might as well go for the Maxx. Then you have to decide whether you want the side skirting, spoiler etc. that you get with the Maxx Sport (you seem not too fussed with that).
Apart from the power and safety features, the other thing that swayed me to get a Maxx instead of a Neo was the interior - the Neo interior has a very cheap, plastic feel. I didn't go the Sport because I could do without the side skirts, spoiler etc.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I also considered a specced up Neo, but I'm really not a big fan of the interior trim.

There seems to be a bit of a large price gap between the Neo and the Maxx imo.

I can't see what's worth the extra $2000

Anyhow, I'm now just going to wait untill I can get the money for an SP23. *touches wood*

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree that you can spec up the Neo with options and live without some things but it's still a Neo and resale value will be lower than a Maxx Sport.

I test drove a black Neo hatch and from the outside the mat black handles and mouldings looked ok, but not as nice as the colour coded parts.

Internally the Neo's light grey interior trim seemed to make the joins in the plastic stand out more than the Maxx Sport's black plastic. The Neo's light colour fabric will probably get dirty faster than the dark interior of the Maxx and it is a bit girly with the orange, blue or grey fabric inserts.

Other than that it is pretty much up to the individual and how much you can afford. The $2k you save could put some nice 17" wheels on the Neo or leather on your seats.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not comparing to the Maxx because the gap to the Sport is just $685, and for all the extra goodies (esp the 16" alloys), absolutely worth it :lol: . Would love to have the SP23 but $30k on road is my absolute Maxx (pardon the pun! :rofl: )

The Neo interior certainly does not look at classy as Maxx, but $2k is a lot just for that. Somebody talk me out of this madness! :crazy:

btw, each time I read "Neo", I think of the Matrix. Whow!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think I put this in another thread, but maybe start with the dealer on the Neo and tell them you want the power and safety packs with an indicative price of $24-$25k...You could possibly lead them onto the Maxx Sport for a similar price and you'll get all the bells and whistles for the same price as a spec'd up Neo.

They'll usually ask "What will it take to put you in a new car today?" Be straight up and say you want the Maxx Sport for the spec'd up Neo price. Can't hurt to be as arrogant as a car salesman. (Sorry to any current or former car sales people)

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you think you're paying 2k more for "just" for the upgraded interior, don't do it. Personally, I'd buy an Astra or a Corolla or... Focus :?... before I bought a Neo - yes, I think the Neo interior is worth that kind of compromise. If you can't afford it, don't do it.

BTW, for your 2k you also get lots of nice kit! ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
For me this is easy :)

Neo vs Maxx the difference is not worth it
Neo vs Maxx Sport worth it.....

IMO the Extras you get with the Maxx Sport are easily worth the extra cash. As for Cruise Control how often do you use it? For me it is not really a necessity.

I like the look of the Maxx Sport much better than the SP23 (I don't like the front grille on the SP) and performance wise there is not much in it between the two (due to the extra weight of the cladding + goodies on the SP) from what I have read.

And if I was strecthing to 30K for a Car I would probably stretch another 1.5K and get an MZ6 Classic (bigger car). And if you add Cruise to your SP the difference is only $1K

·
Registered
176 Posts
BTW Spook I don't think that you could go wrong with a Loaded Nordic Neo either. The Grey seats are OK. The Blue and Orange not so.

BTW the colour coding on the door handles was only around $250 posted by someone else here. Well worth doing.

If it was me I would try and bargain in the 16" or 17" wheels - remeber they pay trade for the tyres etc so they are gonna get them way cheaper than you can.

·
Registered
308 Posts
"BeeF" hopefully I don't sound like to much of a party pooper however we are not buying Adelaide built Mitsubishi Lancers :D

These Mazda's are Japanese assembled and built, if you pull apart the SP23 it is worth its extra $ and pound for pound I'd rather round a corner in a high end 3 than a low end 6 classic.

On another tangent you might get a Ford, Holden or Mitsubishi dealer flogging off various models for cheaper model prices when nothing is moving on their yards, especially when they've got crap to sell such as base model commodore, magna and barina's, not Mazda or Honda's that are fully optioned and assembled in Japan with long waiting lists.

The workforce in Mazda Japan is entirely dedicated to the end product, their only competition is the German assembly lines at Stuttgart and Munich.

If you wanted a bigger car then why not get an Magna which you can pick up for less than 30K? Reason is bigger isn't always better.

I don't know where your going with the performance thing, the SP23's over and above the other models, whilst admittedly not a rocketship its extra 30kg is more than made up for with its additional torque and kilowatts.

All in all the Mazda engineers have clearly differentiated the SP from the other models, they've put in enough extra's to warrant the price. Just like they will with the V6 3 in a year or so's time.

What amazes me on this forum is those going off half-cocked. But I'm as guilty of that as anyonelse :wink:

·
Registered
519 Posts
on price difference (on paper) there seems a wide gap that separates the specced up neo vs the maxx. however, for me (not sure how important it rates for you), this is a car that i will have and use on a near daily basis for the next FOUR years... at least!

now a car is not an asset by any means... its a depreciating utility. but one that is an integral part of my daily life. can i bear looking at a neo interior trim to/from work/uni etc every single day?! if i can afford it (note that i'm not saying you should pay through the nose for the upgrade - cost was very important to me in my choice), then go for the maxx. as beef pointed out, stretch to what you can safely accomodate so that you have a quality product for the next few years, and, i may get flamed for this, but even consider alternative companies if they offer a car with more "specs" you actually _must have_ at a price that is friendlier.

alternatively, you can just firmly imprint in your mind the mazda features that you really cannot do without. put a monetary value on them, and then challenge the dealer to meet your needs - be it neo with an improved trim, or a maxx sport sans extroneous stuff for a better price.

for me i wanted a leather interior for this car and the lack of a factory option, or the risk of losing the side air bag utility did not put me off. it actually led (for me) to a stronger bargaining position with the dealer as he saw how little some features he was trying to push meant to me... i acknowledged a sum for the airbags which i stated were extroneous to my needs (haha! live fast die young) then drove the price down lower.

good luck with your choice spook! when do you fight it out with the dealers? :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Olorin... I agree with your comments.

On the point of depreciation, I've always tried to steer away from cars that depreciate too quickly, and that's generally included base models of anything and anything that's on runout (beware the "bargains"). I hope the MZ3 depreciates like the very popular 2001 Astras, which had best-in-class depreciation to 70-odd percent of its original value.

Although Neo features are comparible with many others in the class, I find the Neo trim a big turn-off, and I think second-hand buyers will too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Spook. Go for the Maxx Sport and negotiate like hell. I got the Sport for just about the price of the basic Maxx. Only spend what you can afford, but if you force yourself to spend just a little more without going into serious debt you will probably be more satisfied with what you buy. If forced to buy the Neo then so be it. In a few years you will be able to trade up anyway:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm tempted to wait for the price reduction come around Oct as the industry prepares for the import duty to come down to 10%. Hey, maybe I'll be more comfortable with the Maxx Sport price then!

But wait a minute, that's 7 months to go! Arrrrgh!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
hehe. i've never researched cars in such selective detail before! although not quite accurate i even took to looking up redbook.com.au for an idea of the resale value of the sp20 after 3 yrs and compared it to other cars i was considering. :wink:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I looked around and drove a few other companies cars before I drove a Maxx. I was sold as soon as I drove it, it doesnt have some of the features that were 'nice to haves' on the others, but, its road feel and airbag setup sold me. I dont really care its a bit more pricy than others we were offered and Im confident we made the right choice on a Maxx Sport sedan as a safe, economical, good looking and can be fun to drive car for my wifes 60km daily round trip for years to come.

The lead car (my wifes choice) prior to the 3 was the Hyundai Elantra Elite with the HVT engine and leather trims, auto air, trip computer etc. etc. but it felt like a sponge on the road compared to the 3.

Lancair

·
Registered
176 Posts
fiordland said:
"BeeF" hopefully I don't sound like to much of a party pooper however we are not buying Adelaide built Mitsubishi Lancers :D
Nuff Said. I'll close my eyes and try to imagine all the Magnas are Lancers the next time I drive past the Tonsley Plant.

fiordland said:
These Mazda's are Japanese assembled and built, if you pull apart the SP23 it is worth its extra $ and pound for pound I'd rather round a corner in a high end 3 than a low end 6 classic.
Your Choice, at the price point mine would be the MZ6.
Only difference in my eyes is the bodykit. No great loss to me.
I guess that was the point of my post it would be MY choice.

fiordland said:
On another tangent you might get a Ford, Holden or Mitsubishi dealer flogging off various models for cheaper model prices when nothing is moving on their yards, especially when they've got crap to sell such as base model commodore, magna and barina's, not Mazda or Honda's that are fully optioned and assembled in Japan with long waiting lists.
None of the Cars you have mentioned are in my eyes "Crap".
Quite a few award winners in fact.

fiordland said:
The workforce in Mazda Japan is entirely dedicated to the end product, their only competition is the German assembly lines at Stuttgart and Munich.
If you say so, its a great story and I love listening....my Mazda is nice but somehow I'm not gonna compare it to a Porsche

fiordland said:
If you wanted a bigger car then why not get an Magna which you can pick up for less than 30K? Reason is bigger isn't always better.
Did'nt want a 6 cylinder, I would'nt put the MZ6 in the large car catagory either.

fiordland said:
I don't know where your going with the performance thing, the SP23's over and above the other models, whilst admittedly not a rocketship its extra 30kg is more than made up for with its additional torque and kilowatts.
Maybe slightly better than a Maxx yes, in my eyes over and above probably not.

fiordland said:
All in all the Mazda engineers have clearly differentiated the SP from the other models, they've put in enough extra's to warrant the price.
Yes they have put enough extras in to warant the price for some people. To me I see no value in a bodykit nor climate. I don't like the front grille.

Personal Choices.

So I guess the best choice for me would to be the "Poor Mans SP" as you referred to it in another thread. Maybe I could berate you for parting with $4K more than I thought was necessary :)

Maybe these people could spend the $4K getting some serious perfomance mods done...........

fiordland said:
Just like they will with the V6 3 in a year or so's time.
The V6 you mentioned I am interested in hearing in. The Duratec V6 is only available on the MZ6 in the North American and Canadian LHD markets at the moment. So please spill the beans.....

Domestically, the Japanese are turbocharging the 2.3L (MPS Concept Vehicle) and as you mentioned above Australian Mazdas are made in Japan.

I think what is made in Japan may end up on our shores somehow.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Beef, Lancers are built in Japan dude. Tonsley park is used for a place to put shipments as well.

Go on a plant tour, pretty interesting actually.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts