Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested a leather, and my P5 was leather, but I ended up with the cloth. The cloth is actually more neopryne-like in texture, and I'm very happy with it so far. It grips the person a lot better, and the seats are 100 times more comfy than the P5 was.

What about the leather? Anyone know how it grips the person? Do you slide around?

Off topic - anyone know why they went with cheapo plastic visors with not accessory light? Even the P5 had the light, cloth, and driver had a little elastic piece to hold papers in. Seems like they cut a big corner here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I tested a leather, and my P5 was leather, but I ended up with the cloth. The cloth is actually more neopryne-like in texture, and I'm very happy with it so far. It grips the person a lot better, and the seats are 100 times more comfy than the P5 was.

What about the leather? Anyone know how it grips the person? Do you slide around?

Off topic - anyone know why they went with cheapo plastic visors with not accessory light? Even the P5 had the light, cloth, and driver had a little elastic piece to hold papers in. Seems like they cut a big corner here.
Hey DJ Spencer,

I've got leather in my car and I love it...except for those cold winter mornings (heated seats are needed). I've never been a cloth interior person...just leather. I don't think the leather really portrays the role of gripping the driver. I believe it has to do with the structural design of the seats. The seats are quite bolstered and seem to keep me intact...granted leather is slippery than the cloth, but I think leather looks more rich and adds a feeling of reserve and classiness (<-- is that a word :? ) IMHO.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree - leather has a class all it's own. My problem was that I had my P5 for 18 months, and even though I treated and took care of the leather, it looked more like it was 3-5 years old. Just wore down too quickly for me.

Are these seats 100% leather, or did they put mystery material on the seatbacks? Do the passenger seats in the leather have a seat pocket behind them? That's my biggest interior grip so far - I miss sticking maps behind the passenger seat, only the drive has one. Now I will have to upgarde to the DVD Nav.... (where's the logic in that, I do not know.)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zc1 said:
Why not just use the gigantic glovebox to store your maps?
Okay, okay... I want the DVD Nav as a toy...

But the glovebox, short of hiding a small child inside, it crazy. I keep a garage door opener in there for my parent's house and it slid to the back. I had to take my seatbelt off to reach it!

I will admit, they did a MUCH better job with storage space - glove box, dual center console, doors, and the dual covered partitioned part in the cargo area of the 5-door. I love that. I do wish I could lock the cargo part thought.

·
Registered
168 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I agree - leather has a class all it's own. My problem was that I had my P5 for 18 months, and even though I treated and took care of the leather, it looked more like it was 3-5 years old. Just wore down too quickly for me.

Are these seats 100% leather, or did they put mystery material on the seatbacks? Do the passenger seats in the leather have a seat pocket behind them? That's my biggest interior grip so far - I miss sticking maps behind the passenger seat, only the drive has one. Now I will have to upgarde to the DVD Nav.... (where's the logic in that, I do not know.)
ZC1 is correct. There is no seat pocket behind the passenger seatbacks. And no the seats are not 100% leather. Most cars that offer leather seats are "trimmed" with leather, unless they are the high-end Lexus, MB, BMW, Jag, etc. The preforatted sections of the seats are leather on the Mazda3...everything else is vinyl or as BMW states..."leatherette" seating.

Spencer

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmmmm...... Leatherette....

Sounds like a girl I use to date in high school...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
BAM

Amen on the DVD as a toy. That's probably the main reason I'd ever get it. I never go anyplace anyway, and would never get how ever much it costs use out of it.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True. As a mobile DJ, I travel often, sometimes to new venues. That means the maps might come in handy - if the location exists in the directory. Chances are it won't.

Although, living in CA, there's a bit of uncharted territory for me here - been in Northern CA for 9 years, but never been further south than Carmel. I have friends in LA and San Diego, but short of hopping on 5 or 101, I wouldn't know where else to go to get there.

That's the only other reason I would want the pretty toy - plus, it has one of the largest screens I've seen. That said, I forget what size the Matrix screen is.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote="zc1Now wasn't that therapeutic? I've done plenty of rationalizing, too.[/quote]

Do we know of anyone on here that actually has the DVD Nav? It's obvious that CAN doesn't, and the car has only been in the US for 4 weeks, but I'm wondering.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup, Canada doesn't get 'em and but that's probably a non-issue for most people. If I ever felt a need for that type of system I'd opt for a Palm Pilot/Pocket PC module w/ voice or else one of the dedicated handheld GPS systems. That way (1) I'd be able to use it in either of our vehicles or on the motorcycle; (2) I'd be able to take it with me when traveling to other countries; (3) I'd still have it when the car's gone (rather than paying for it all over again with my next car). All of that said, though, paper and online maps have done fine so far.

I remember reading somewhere that the Nav system in the 3 was only slow when searching for your location initially but was fine after that. If I can track down that post I'll give you the link. It's kind of like an auto-dimming mirror with compass, outside temperature and homelink. Really nice unit, but the alternatives aren't particularly inconvenient and might even be more flexible. Gadgets are fun, though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like the cloth alot too The Black/red really matches the interior well and is really comfortable. I think it make the interior look sportier than the leather does.

·
Registered
254 Posts
wait, the cloth has a back pocket but the leather doesn't? or neither seat options do?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine has a cloth behind the driver only - which I think is silly because you can't easily reach behind your own seat. But whatever. I guess the thought here is that if you had two other passengers in the car, the leg room would be preferred on the passenger side of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Nav system installed on mine and I quite like it. I've already found a few shorter routes to places I normally go, plus i just like the fact that I will never have to go to mapquest again. I'm horrible with navigating with written directions so having it is helpful. The voice of it sounds like the B!tching Betty voice you hear in aircraft whenever something goes wrong. hehe.

Gravity

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ladies and Gentleman, the captain has turned ont he no smoking sign, and requests that we prepare for a crash landing....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hhahahah my dad had an old 300zx, dam thing would never shaddup........*coughs* <in a girlish betty like tone> left door open, left door open......<followed by my dad yelling back> .......SHUT THE FARK UP!!!

Stupid voice system in the 300zx would tell you about the doors being ajar, light outages and other stupid info

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I remember my first experience with a nav system. At the end of the trip I wanted to kill the computer, its voice was just so annoying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts