Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like you said yourself, it's anyone's guess at this point ... but like you, I also plan on overhauling the sound system (though I will be getting the sedan).

1. Front mid size -- I am estimating 6.5" components, standard fare nowadays, they would be foolish to make them smaller than 6.5" and I have seen pictures anyway, they look big. The MP3 had 6x9 two-ways up front, though.
2. Front mid depth -- anyone's guess.
3. Rear deck size -- I know for a fact the MP3 also had 6x9 three-ways in the rear. Of course, speculating based on the size of the Protege is silly ...
4. Rear deck depth -- does this really matter much for the sedan if the coils are just exposed in the trunk space? Might be an issue for the wagon but I don't know about the sedan.
5. Speaker mounts -- the cars are all cast from the same "mold" so to speak, but only the entry level model comes with 2 speakers. Why would you buy the entry level model? :p
6. Sound dampening -- anybody's guess.
7. Fiberglass -- I have seen people do crazy things on Minis, Integras/RSX's, Celicas, Hondas, and other tiny cars. I doubt space will be an issue in the hatch!
8. Stock amps -- very likely ... most people do not take into account that the factory head unit will not be immediately compatible with a real amplifier, I am counting on the fact that they will bundle the system with a tiny little amp behind the head unit, probably not per speaker.
9. Stock wiring -- that's ALWAYS a rat's nest! We can only hope their wiring standards improve and they keep all the connections clean and organized with wire tubing ...
10. Tweeter pods -- they are mounted flush into the piece where they A-pillar meets the console (as I have them in my Civic). I think this will make it much easier to do a clean install on aftermarket tweeters since they will have a nice fit in there.
11. Tweeter diam -- they actually look kind of big, I would say 1.5"+
12. Dash space -- dash-mounted sub? You are crazy, hehe ... no clue on the depth there.
13. Stock HU removal -- it's my assumption that we may have to wait awhile for there to be a replacement mount/frame for a new head unit to give it a clean appearance. This is one topic which will be hard to find news on.
14. Front grilles -- they look removable to me but it's anyone's guess.
15. Firewall access -- no clue on that but I'd imagine there will be very few holes for wiring ...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Only the entry level models are designated as having two speakers in Canadian GX spec. The GS and GT will have 4 and 6 respectively, with the GT having two tweeters mounted in the aforementioned A-pillar console mounts. In the American market, most compacts come with a minimum of four speakers, so I don't know if this will be the case here also. If the back speakers are not in the rear deck, as you suggest, they will be in the doors. I haven't seen photos of the rear deck or doors so I have no way to know. The Mazdaspeed Protege had 6x9 three-way component speakers in the rear deck, some entry-level Proteges had none. If the 3's rear speakers are in the doors (highly unusal if that is the case) then they will probably be 6.5" two- or three-way units.

·
Registered
187 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
I say that because the 6's rear speakers in the doors. 6.5". It's a true sound stage enviornment - you can't balance the speakers front and back.
Not sure what you mean by "true" sound stage environment ... that seems to contradict your statement that you can't balance the sound ... :?:

·
Registered
187 Posts
MZ6 is right ... I just saw pics of the inside of the rear doors for the first time today (from the Sydney Show pics on another thread) and the rear speakers are indeed on the doors just as they are on the 6.

I'm still curious what you mean by that being a "true sound environment" though if you can't balance the sound as well ...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Jay,

What's your take on custom enclosures? I currently have a Civic with a dual 12" enclosure, it's a decent box, very heavy but not ported or anything. My qualm with it is that it slides around in the trunk, and I plan on migrating my system (at least the speakers) to my 3. I don't think I want to install my subs the same way in a box like that though due to all the sliding ... as I will inevitably be driving my 3 like a maniac and it is much more responsive than a Civic. I don't want the box sliding all over my trunk. :)

Aside from removing the spare tire to make a complete fiberglass replacement for the trunk, what kind of options are available for mouting subs in a trunk so that they stay put? Individual enclosures on either side? I am not sure what is the most cost effective way to go. I will probably buy smaller 10" subs but am undecided still. How expensive is it to get a custom made fiberglass trunk with sub and amp mounts anyway?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Morel and Lotus? Ha ... I've never heard a 6x9 or component speaker that can beat my MBQ's. Instant ear bleed out-of-the-box! Every other speaker needs gain increase adjustments, my MBQ's are the only speakers I ever had to tune DOWN because they were so precise and powerful. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.