Mazda3 Forums banner
361 - 380 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
cweb, if you want to be sure the eBay key works, do this:

- buy the uncut key from eBay (search Mazda 4d-63 chip key)

- when you get the key, program it as I described in my earlier posts. You can do this by inserting your (dumb) Lowes key in the ignition (which has been cut to open the door and turn in the ignition lock) and holding the new chip key head to head with the Lowes key (it has to be close to the ignition switch). Assuming you have two other good keys, this process should work if your new chip key is good.

- If you can program the new chip key, then have it cut and you are all set. If not, eBay sellers will usually take back uncut keys.

- As for the fob part, I don't believe you need two good ones to program a third. You can usually find used ones on eBay if you want another. Then just go ahead and program the fob to unlock the doors.
SO the price difference between ebay and the dealer for an uncut key is $30. If I take in the ebay key and they can't program it, they will still charge me I'm sure, do you guys think it is worth the risk to just buy 2 ebay keys? I think the dealer will program multiple keys for the same cost, then I'll just have them cut them as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 Mazda2

Hi guys, I'm in Australia and our dealers wanted $460-$520....one wanted the car all day!

$59 del off eBay...$7.70 for the cut and 1/2 hour following instructions....I had original remote plus valet key.

It all worked for me on 2013 Mazda2....thanks heaps.:chuckles:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello!

I got only one key (with working fob) with the car when I bought it from the dealer (GT 2005), so I'm gonna have to get a new key programmed from the dealer asap and remove if there are any old one left programmed except the one key I have.

My question is, can I check by myself how many keys are programmed to my car? Or do I need some tools/computers for this?

thx!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Hello!

I got only one key (with working fob) with the car when I bought it from the dealer (GT 2005), so I'm gonna have to get a new key programmed from the dealer asap and remove if there are any old one left programmed except the one key I have.

My question is, can I check by myself how many keys are programmed to my car? Or do I need some tools/computers for this?

thx!
They may be able to see how many keys are programmed into the computer already, however it doesn't really matter because you only have one. When they do the programming to add a second key for you it will disable any keys currently programmed to the car. Same thing if you had eight keys and lost six of them. You buy a new "third" key and run through the programming with the three you have in hand. The other six you lost would no longer work to start the car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They may be able to see how many keys are programmed into the computer already, however it doesn't really matter because you only have one. When they do the programming to add a second key for you it will disable any keys currently programmed to the car. Same thing if you had eight keys and lost six of them. You buy a new "third" key and run through the programming with the three you have in hand. The other six you lost would no longer work to start the car.
yeah I know that :) But I wanna know if I can by myself see the amount of keys that are programmed to my car, ty :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think 7 is the maximum amount of keys (not more than 8 I believe) reading the OEM service manual. You can delete any key too I believe but I didn't want to go through the whole process as I haven't maxed it out yet. I had a aftermarket key that was too thick and binding in the ignition and replaced it and decided not to delete it. The car or dealer must be able to tell how many keys are programmed at any give time I am sure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't go the the dealer and go to a locksmith as it will be half the price. Cost me $70 and dealer wanted $150. You can save even more money and buy a key off internet and get lock smith to program it. Cost me about $15 for key. If you have two working keys you can program yourself of course - I didn't know this first time around. I always have 3 keys now in case I lose one I can still make a replacement again myself without have to go to locksmith or dealer. You need 2 keys to make another.

Hello!

thx!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't go the the dealer and go to a locksmith as it will be half the price. Cost me $70 and dealer wanted $150. You can save even more money and buy a key off internet and get lock smith to program it. Cost me about $15 for key. If you have two working keys you can program yourself of course - I didn't know this first time around. I always have 3 keys now in case I lose one I can still make a replacement again myself without have to go to locksmith or dealer. You need 2 keys to make another.

I will probably get it for free or much cheaper from the dealer since he told me from the start its a cheap thing to make a new key, so I'm gonna wait and see what he offers me first :)

And the old lost key(s) have to be removed from the ECU and I doubt thats something the locksmith can do.. :|

·
Registered
78 Posts
But that's something you can do. I remember reading it in the service manual but since I wasn't maxed out I couldn't be bothered and it's an emergency key.

I will probably get it for free or much cheaper from the dealer since he told me from the start its a cheap thing to make a new key, so I'm gonna wait and see what he offers me first :)

And the old lost key(s) have to be removed from the ECU and I doubt thats something the locksmith can do.. :|

·
Registered
48 Posts
But that's something you can do. I remember reading it in the service manual but since I wasn't maxed out I couldn't be bothered and it's an emergency key.

The dealer payed for a new key + programming the ECU at Mazda :alaugh: next week the dealer gonna fix my Xenon that doesn't work on the right side and the termostat that seems to be stuck open. Love the benefits from buying a used car from a dealer :smile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just wait until the used car shop doesn't "love" seeing you...

The dealer payed for a new key + programming the ECU at Mazda :alaugh: next week the dealer gonna fix my Xenon that doesn't work on the right side and the termostat that seems to be stuck open. Love the benefits from buying a used car from a dealer :smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wait until the used car shop doesn't "love" seeing you...

Trust me, I dont like calling him/seeing him either.. Thats why I don't require them to fix anything. Luckily they have been very helpful and not even tried to decline anything yet. And this will be the last time I visit him regardless of what happens in the future :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I only have one key...

So with one key, I assume the dealer can charge me $100+ to get me a new working new? I lost the second key a long time ago and I am the original owner. I wish I knew about this self programming long ago but it was too late for me.

Anyone know what they charge for a remote too? Can I get a newer switchblade style remote/key? Any idea on pricing?

This is for a 2007 Mazda 3 GT 5 door if it matters.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
So with one key, I assume the dealer can charge me $100+ to get me a new working new? I lost the second key a long time ago and I am the original owner. I wish I knew about this self programming long ago but it was too late for me.

Anyone know what they charge for a remote too? Can I get a newer switchblade style remote/key? Any idea on pricing?

This is for a 2007 Mazda 3 GT 5 door if it matters.
You can purchase the key yourself either from the dealer, online, or aftermarket. IIRC the OEM key goes for somewhere around $30. The p/n is in the link in my signature, but I think the prices have changed. They'll have to program it through their computer, which takes about 45 minutes. Save yourself a later headache though and get two keys. Have the dealer program one, and you do the third key after they've programmed the second key.

For the flip key unless something has changed in the last couple of years I'm afraid you're out of luck. The 2007+ US model got a different KEU and none of the flip remotes would talk to it. Someone even tried getting the KEU and flip remote from a Canadian 3 but it wouldn't work. It's possible another remote has come out in the last couple of years with another model which will work. Sadly bagman1 no longer works for the dealership in NC, and he was the one who went out and tested every remote the dealer had to see what would work. Perhaps we can find another friendly dealership parts person somewhere.

I got the programming right on the first time.
Nice

·
Registered
3 Posts
is there a similar procedure to "copy" the door open/close function of the original remote onto a universal remote?

having the car's remote functions and the garage door's on one remote would be nice...

(car is a MZ3 BK 2006)

·
Registered
89 Posts
does this programming method still work for a 2007 Mazda3i?
no remote or fob, only a plain old (albeit programmed with a chip inside) key.

·
Registered
89 Posts
does this programming method still work for a 2007 Mazda3i?
no remote or fob, only a plain old (albeit programmed with a chip inside) key.
Update!

got my key blank from eBay in the mail yesterday ($15), went to the local locksmith and got it cut ($10)...did the programming thing, working like a charm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My new/used 2014 3 S GT came with only one key. Do I have to pay the dealer to program a second in order for me to program a 3rd myself? I have the start push-button on the dash and the key hidden inside the fob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Didn't work

Am I the only one for whom this key programming thing doesn't work?

I have 2 working keys for my 2004 Mazda 3: an original Mazda one and a generic one; both start the car.

Today I bought 2 blank original Mazda keys from the dealership. It is Sunday and the parts guy said cutting is included in the price but the guy that does it doesn't come in until Monday. So I went to Home Depot and they cut the blanks to fit the original keys. The keys turn the ignition lock but of course don't start the car, yet.

I tried at least 10 times to program the keys to the ECU:
1. Put one working key in the ignition switch and turn it to ON.
2. Wait until the flashing car icon stops and remove the key.
3. Within 5 seconds, insert the second working key and switch it ON.
4. Wait until the flashing car icon stops and remove the key.
5. Within 5 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON.
The car icon should turn on and off like the other keys.
6. Start the car.

I tried both new keys. For me step 5 results in the car icon flashing quickly and doesn't turn off. The key won't start the car.

These are original Mazda keys, cut at Home Depot. There isn't anything about these transponder keys that gets programmed, is there? I mean the procedure actually programs the *ECU* to the new key, yes? There's no possibility that having Home Depot cut the keys did anything to the keys' transponder, is there?

I'm stumped. Any idea why this isn't working for me?

Thanks.

361 - 380 of 391 Posts