Mazda3 Forums banner
341 - 360 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried programming my keys for a 2012 M3 skyactiv, but the light never goes off when I put the key in that needs to be programmed, it just flashes. I followed the procedure line out in the thread but have not been successful. Has anyone been able to program a key for the 2012 skyactive model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Skyactiv key programming

I just did this with a 2012 I Touring Skyactiv sedan. I used an $8 transponder key I bought on Ebay. The chip was identified as 4D-63. Note that this key is only for the ignition, and the manual opening of the door; there is no keyless entry with it.

Starting with the first working key, the procedure is to turn the ignition to the "on" position and remove the key when the security light goes out. (Do not start the engine.) Within four seconds insert the second working key and turn it to the "on" position until the security light goes out. Then, within four seconds insert the new key and turn to the "on" position. If it works, the security light will go out just as it did for the first two keys, and the key is programmed.

It is recommended that each key be tested by starting and running the car for at least five seconds, leaving the car off at least five seconds between keys.

Note that this will not work if the PCM has customer spare key programming disabled, but the default is for it to be enabled. (It may be turned off for fleet vehicles, so if you've bought a used rental car, it may have been turned off.) A dealer can turn it back on. Others have reported that if you don't have two original keys but rather one original and one cloned by a locksmith, it won't work either. I don't know if it will work if the key chip has a different number from that listed above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Third Key Cut Predicament

Hey All,
I have a 2007 mazda 3. I have 2 programmed keys that work. I went online and bought a third key that has a chip and was planning on programming it myself.

I went to the store to have the third key cut and they ended up cutting it wrong. The key doesn't even open the door or the trunk. So pissed.
I went back and told them they cut it wrong and all they could do for me is cut me a new key, but this new key doesn't have a chip, so it's pointless.
So now I'm stuck with two working keys, one key with an unprogrammed chip that's cut wrong and 1 key without a chip that's cut right. The new key without the chip works great and unlocks all the doors, but doesn't turn the car on.

Is there anyway I can still program the unprogrammed chipped key that was cut wrong? By perhaps doing the steps told, and when inserting the third key, I could insert the third key without a chip, but put the unprogrammed chipped key right next to it? Or does there need to be some type of metal connection when this happens? I tried it a few times, but it didn't work for me.

Any suggestions??...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Programming the chip

If you have the right chip, and are following the right programming procedure, you should be able to do what you are trying with the two keys. I was able to do it. I programmed the chip before having the key cut to be sure the chip worked ok. (The Ebay sellers will generally take back the key if it isn't cut.)

There is no electrical connection between the chip and the key blade. Try placing the plastic head of the chip key on the metal head of the dumb (all metal) key when you try to program the chip. If it doesn't work, repeat after flipping over the chip key.

It took me a couple attempts to program, but did work on the second try. I've started the car with dumb key/chip key combo a couple times since.

As for the bad key, you have a few options. Take it to a locksmith or the dealer and see if they can cut it correctly. It took the hardware store two times to cut my dumb key to work correctly in the door lock. Taking off some extra metal made it work.

Alternativley, take it to a dealer and see if they can cut it with the key code for your car. The parts guy at my dealer said he would cut the key I bought for free so I am going to let him cut mine.

If you have a bad key blank, the above won't work. But you can find blanks on Ebay without the chip. You put your chip (I think it is under the Mazda logo button) under the button in the blank they sell. But this key cost almost as much as one with a chip. Either way you'll have to get the new key blade cut, of course.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright,
So I went out there to have a try again. I made sure to follow the steps correctly this time. The problem I was having was that I didn't wait for the security light to go out before turning the key off for the first and second programmed keys. Doing this made me be able to program my third key correctly.
I put my crappy (all metal key with no chip) as the third key and put the chipped plastic part on top of it while inserting it. This succesfully programmed my third key without it actually having to go into the lock cylinder.
Now my question is this.. Is there anyway I can take the plastic part off the key without ruining the chip and just possibly tape it on the all metal key? Where is the chip located in the plastic part?
Here's what I bought as third key if you want to see what type of key I have.
http://www.amazon.com/2007-Mazda-MAZDA6-Uncut-Transponder/dp/B003S8DHK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1351206288&sr=1-1&keywords=2007+mazda+key

otherwise, everytime I want to start the car with the third key, I have to have both keys on top of each other while starting it..
Anyone ever rip off the top plastic part and tape it to a different key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did this with a 2012 I Touring Skyactiv sedan. I used an $8 transponder key I bought on Ebay. The chip was identified as 4D-63. Note that this key is only for the ignition, and the manual opening of the door; there is no keyless entry with it.

Starting with the first working key, the procedure is to turn the ignition to the "on" position and remove the key when the security light goes out. (Do not start the engine.) Within four seconds insert the second working key and turn it to the "on" position until the security light goes out. Then, within four seconds insert the new key and turn to the "on" position. If it works, the security light will go out just as it did for the first two keys, and the key is programmed.

It is recommended that each key be tested by starting and running the car for at least five seconds, leaving the car off at least five seconds between keys.

Note that this will not work if the PCM has customer spare key programming disabled, but the default is for it to be enabled. (It may be turned off for fleet vehicles, so if you've bought a used rental car, it may have been turned off.) A dealer can turn it back on. Others have reported that if you don't have two original keys but rather one original and one cloned by a locksmith, it won't work either. I don't know if it will work if the key chip has a different number from that listed above.
Thanks for your post, I have the same car.
Just ordered this
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190738021835...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1888wt_1397
We'll see in 2-3 weeks if it actually works.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
So let me get this right.

You can purchase a transponder key online and program it yourself as long as you have two working keys.

So do you have to take the third key to the dealer to get cut or can a locksmith do it for you? And do you have to cut the key first before programming?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
So let me get this right.

You can purchase a transponder key online and program it yourself as long as you have two working keys.

So do you have to take the third key to the dealer to get cut or can a locksmith do it for you? And do you have to cut the key first before programming?
Exactly. The key does need to be cut before you can program it. You can either go to a dealer, or if you were to order from onlinemazdaparts Jason will cut the key for you prior to shipping (if you ask and provide accurate info). In theory a locksmith can cut they key.... that said I did have an issue with a home depot cutting a key incorrectly as they didn't have the correct insert for Mazda keys and the Ford insert wasn't quite right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Advanced Keyless Entry

Well, I guess I should have studied up on this subject a bit more. I might have chosen a different model and/or make had I known that the advanced keyless entry was/is such a hassle to have a key replaced. I purchased a 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback with skyactiv powertrain and it has such a key.

Any advice on where to get a 'cheap' spare key and how to program them? :huh:

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Not a clue on the AKE other than the fobs are expensive and I have no idea on the programming. I assume the dealer has to program in another one...... I think you can only have three total, and honestly if the dealer has to do the programming then there's no real point in getting the third one (unless you need a third set) just to avoid paying te dealer for programming.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Confirmed this just worked on my 2009 Hatchback. Paid $14 for the key on ebay and $2 to have it cut. Worked on the 3rd try.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 1 programed key, and one spare (needs to be programed) i will test it to make sure it at least works (ignition and door lock/unlock), would I still need an extra?

Also, I have a compustar remote starter/security system. Would doing this to program the blank key affect the system? Just want to make sure moving forward.

Thanks, and awesome sticky!!

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I only have 1 key also... What are my options? and cost?
Go to dealership, hand them your wallet, grab your ankles. As I recall, cost me $70-$80 for the key and cost to program it.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
K, so here is my situation. I appreciate any help.

Quick point, you can go to Lowes and get them to make a $3 key that will open your doors (but has no transmitter so can't be programmed). This is great for lockouts.

I have one functioning switchblade key with working FOB. That's it.

Dealer: $53 for key+Cut: $130 for programming: $150 for FOB.....:screwy:

It looks like I can pay $183 for a new programmed key. Then, how can I be confident I'm buying a good Ebay key? I can program this third one myself.

It looks like you only need two keys to program a FOB? I don't need two working FOBs to program another FOB right? This gets confusing because people mix the term FOB and key. I have 1 working key with FOB, I want to buy another key without FOB, program a key without FOB on Ebay and program it, then if I ever lose my FOB I'll be able to buy and program it with just two working keys right? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Program the key before you have it cut...

cweb, if you want to be sure the eBay key works, do this:

- buy the uncut key from eBay (search Mazda 4d-63 chip key)

- when you get the key, program it as I described in my earlier posts. You can do this by inserting your (dumb) Lowes key in the ignition (which has been cut to open the door and turn in the ignition lock) and holding the new chip key head to head with the Lowes key (it has to be close to the ignition switch). Assuming you have two other good keys, this process should work if your new chip key is good.

- If you can program the new chip key, then have it cut and you are all set. If not, eBay sellers will usually take back uncut keys.

- As for the fob part, I don't believe you need two good ones to program a third. You can usually find used ones on eBay if you want another. Then just go ahead and program the fob to unlock the doors.

341 - 360 of 391 Posts