Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Usually the shift knob will come with some sort of adaptor, I assume yours did not. What you can do (I know this is rigging) is wrap the shifter stick in electrical or duct tape to 'fatten' the stick and then place the shift knob down and tighten the screws as normal (I assume there are little allen screws you can tighten to set the shift knob). As long as you do it right it should look fine. If you have to 'shorten' the stick to make the knob look right a hacksaw will do wonders. I have done this on previous cars with great success. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Titanium said:
Usually the shift knob will come with some sort of adaptor, I assume yours did not. What you can do (I know this is rigging) is wrap the shifter stick in electrical or duct tape to 'fatten' the stick and then place the shift knob down and tighten the screws as normal (I assume there are little allen screws you can tighten to set the shift knob). As long as you do it right it should look fine. If you have to 'shorten' the stick to make the knob look right a hacksaw will do wonders. I have done this on previous cars with great success. Hope this helps.

i didnt really want to resort to duct tape, but i guess thats the only way or buy a new one...thanx

·
Registered
224 Posts
The rod is strong enough, just put it in gear and hold it so it doesn't move while you cut. Cover surrounding interior parts with an old blanket or something similiar to prevent damage if the saw gets loose from ya and it will also prevent metal shavings from getting anywhere you don't want it to. A good hack saw blade will make short work of the stick, but an air whizzer would work best if you have access to one.

Although duct tape is a janky way to add some girth to the stick if you do it right it will look good and you will not actually see any tape once its all put together.

·
Registered
319 Posts
thanks man. I'm borrowing a hacksaw next week from a buddy of mine. he also mentioned that maybe a dremmil saw will work. anyway, after I get this done and get my windows tinted next week, i'll post pics of my car.

thanks again for the advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.