Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
:twisted: It makes me so enraged that I've spent all this moolah on the top of the line Mazda3 and you can get the grille and stick it on the Maxx so I'm going to get a Mercedes SLR grille for my SP23 :x

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think the Sp23 grille integrated with the bonnet in its mouldings and won't fit the Neo/Max hence the accessory grille for the Neo/Max.

The SP also has the larger braking system.

·
Registered
308 Posts
They use identical panels..
Basically yes, however the SP23 has tweaked body panel skirtings. You'll find at least in hatch form it has a unique front and rear body kit to the other models.

Having closely inspected the SP23 last weekend and glanced at the front grill on the others this can only be done by not only replacing the grill but also replacing the whole front section of the neo/max with the SP23 front bodykit.

Obviously this would cost a few thousand to have done, which is why there is in fact an available accessory grill for the others with its difference being the colour of the body of the car above the Mazda badge rather than the black strip of the standard grill.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So basically... ALL panels on the sedan are interchangable with the panels on the sp23 sedan, as with the sp23 hatch.
Yes, but what has that got to do with getting an SP23 grille for your Maxx/Neo?

As you can see the SP23 grille won't fit on a Neo/Maxx. To do this you would also need to rip the front off the Neo/Maxx and replace it with the SP23 front dam.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Look carefully at the pictures, the differences are clearly there, what your saying is like stating both 2 and 2.3 engines are the same. The front air dam / bumper are different. Or better still ring Mazda and they'll confirm what I've just written.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The SP spoiler has completely different dimensions;

Its longer in the nose.
The Neo/Max spolier has an angled cutting that extends from the inside of the headlights all the way down to the vertical section of the spoiler. This stops well before the vertical section on the SP.
The front dam on the SP is larger.
The foglight and foglight section of the SP spoiler are differently shaped.
When lifting the bonnet on ths SP the last "V" section of the grille remains on the spoiler rather than with the bonnet. That last "V" is not present on the Neo/Maxx models.
There is a ridge on the sides of the SP front spoiler, not there on the Neo/Maxx.

There are probably other differences that I'm not aware of.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The differences aren't as obvious and as I've no real interest in the SP sedan I'm not sure.

I've checked the lengths of the Neo/Maxx sedans compared to the SP sedan and they're 55 cm's shorter which I know is going to be the front or rear spoilers or both.

Looking at pictures the front dam looks bigger on the SP, and the fog lights have a horizontal bar through them, apart from that they look very similar in shape so perhaps it would be possible to drop the SP sedan grille into the non SP sedans, although the brochure says the grille is exclusive to the SP.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is the price I believe, and no its not for the SP23 grille. If you look in the accessories section of the Mazda Oz website its identified as "colour keyed grill" for the Maxx/Neo.

There are some accessories that are horribly over priced I think....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Even if you do manage to insert it the lowest piece of the hatchback grille on the SP23 is a moulded part of the SP23's front bumper, when you drop the bonnet they join nicely together.

The Neo/Maxx bumpers don't have the lower section of the SP23 grill, not sure how goofy it would look with the bottom section missing, but fairly goofy would be my hunch.

Go to Mazda 3 accessories on their website and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Debate?

Both Olorin and myself are stating the SP23 grille won't fit on the Neo/Maxx hatch.

It may well do so on the sedan. Although if your turning your Maxx into an SP why not just buy the SP? It works out cheaper than buying all the accessories to pretend its an SP and you get the better engine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Agreed, there should be exclusivity for the SP23, as it is the SP hatch grille is not able to be placed on non SP hatches, and everything that can is lots of money. Even fitting the SP grille onto non SP sedans will be about $400-$500 dollars.

At the end of the day all the cosmetic changes to make a non SP model look SP are expensive compared to just buying the SP and the most important alteration is unavailable - the 2.3 litre engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.