Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking on Ebay at different sound deadening mats, wondering what is good for a decent price. If found one roll for alittle over 100 shipped, which i thought was alot.

I found this one which is cheaper. Im wondering if this is worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sound-heat-vibration-mat-deadener-compared-to-dynamat_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270352562209QQitemZ270352562209QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another thing..once i stick this stuff inside my doors are there ever any problems with the panel fitting back on? Should it just be around the speaker or behind it as well?

·
Registered
38,019 Posts
[quote author=bhutch link=topic=138854.msg2993076#msg2993076 date=1236981459]
another thing..once i stick this stuff inside my doors are there ever any problems with the panel fitting back on? Should it just be around the speaker or behind it as well?
[/quote]

My guess would be just the inside of the outer door skin (i.e. only on the sheet metal), so behind, yes. I have foam baffles around my speakers, which has been a big help. Mat in the doors is of course going to give better sound than that, but the baffles serve the dual purpose of protecting the speakers against water that can get inside the doors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't pass up eDead cause of their old reviews, their new stuff is pure butyl, 45 mils thick and I got 120 sq ft for $100.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
[quote author=Tee link=topic=138854.msg2993412#msg2993412 date=1236995397]
Don't pass up eDead cause of their old reviews, their new stuff is pure butyl, 45 mils thick and I got 120 sq ft for $100.
[/quote]

That's a good deal

·
Registered
760 Posts
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=138854.msg2993065#msg2993065 date=1236980985]
You might find this link useful: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
[/quote]

Sure, a 6 year old product review conducted by someone with a grudge is really going to be helpful. I bet every single one of those products are different today.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used RAAMmat from http://www.raamaudio.com/. But that was 3 years ago. It looks like eDead is a better deal these days. Note that the eDead stuff is slighly thinner at 45 mil vs 60, but I don't really think that it makes that much of a difference.

For dampener, eDead's TekLite at $2/ft is more expensive than RAAMaudio's Ensolite at $.85/ft, but Ensolite is half the thickness. I think I'd rather have the thicker deadener and the thinner dampener.

I'd love to get a review on the deadeners. THAT's what would make the inside of the car quieter, not the dampener, which makes the speakers perform better. (Right?)

You can see my RAAMmat install photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/elliotm00/RAAMmatInstall?feat=directlink.

--Elliot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think ill stick to the front doors only plus using just one type of sound deadener. any little bit has to cut down on the road noise i hear now. Its so loud sometimes

·
Registered
97 Posts
We've discussed deadner's affects on road noise in the forums somewhere. I think you'll find that the deadner will have minimal, if any, affect on the road noise. The noise comes in from the wheel linkage. The deadner helps focus the sound of the speakers.

Sound *dampeners* MAY help road noise a little. I have deadener and dampener in all four doors and the front floor. Changing tires had a much greater affect on road noise.

But the audio is great.

Other people have put in deader in the top and the trunk. I don't know how it all affected the road noise. Anyone?

·
Registered
610 Posts
^ Link would help. But really, the deadener+dampener combo doesn't help with road noise at all? What about wind noise? I thought adding dead weight on the frame(ie, floor) would reduce the structurally born noises like road noise. Okay...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts