Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be ordering up some second skin stuff here pretty soon, but i was just curious who has installed this in their 3 already.

Do you know how much you will need to cover the trunk, under the seats and front doors?

I was thinking about ordering up 40 sq ft but not sure if thats enough.. only doing a single layer since the second skin stuff is pretty thick and way better than dynamat.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I used about 80sq ft and that covered my entire car head to toe. I gutted it to the frame as well. But for the basic deadening 40 should start you off well

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess im not that motivated to gut the whole car :)

i give you credit for doing it.... just a lengthy process that is something i dont look forward to doing... i guess im just gonna work around what i can and fill in where ever... most just the trunk area, the doors, floor (from front seats to near the firewall area)

im sure your car is quiet as a mouse though... not sure what material you used though

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
where are the easiest places to deaden while still giving a sound reduction? lets say... thinking exhaust-wise.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=biped link=topic=71806.msg1269764#msg1269764 date=1173990844]
where are the easiest places to deaden while still giving a sound reduction? lets say... thinking exhaust-wise.
[/quote]

the trunk area is easy, just have to take out the spare tire and lay some around there.... and it depends if you want to use the self adhesive roll or spray/paint on... second skin has this stuff called sludge that you can apply on... but you wont be able to put anything else on there afterwards for extra deadening... need to put roll down first and then sludge on top...

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71806.msg1268722#msg1268722 date=1173955364]

i give you credit for doing it.... just a lengthy process that is something i dont look forward to doing... i guess im just gonna work around what i can and fill in where ever... most just the trunk area, the doors, floor (from front seats to near the firewall area)

im sure your car is quiet as a mouse though... not sure what material you used though
[/quote]Heh.. it was a long time, but well worth it. Heres some pics..:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i give you credit for doing all that... its way beyond what i would do.... so if you want to do mine for free.. come on out and tear the shit out my car to lay down some stuff :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
[quote author=TruboPower link=topic=71806.msg1269801#msg1269801 date=1173991887]
[quote author=plazma link=topic=71806.msg1268722#msg1268722 date=1173955364]

[/quote]Heh.. it was a long time, but well worth it. Heres some pics..:
...lots of photos of a gutted car....
[/quote]

That's some hardcore work there...I don't know if I could be that motivated...did you change anything else while you had the car gutted, seems like a prime time to do it...

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Hah I couldn't find the other pictures, that was actually the light part, I ripped out the whole headliner and sunroof and did all that, along with all the interior carpet, inside the fenders and rear frame, sprayed cracks with the expanding foam and put down closed cell foam over all it. It was quite a project but it sounded damn good when I was done. You gain so much missed tones in the music, not to mention it was BMW quiet inside on the highway. I'm not willing to do that much to the brand new car yet but I did start on the doors already :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts