Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past 5-6 weeks, there's been a subtle "humming" sound (not sure how to describe the sound honestly) that comes from my 2021 Mazda3 that's continuous once I get to the 55-65 mph range, though the sound does drop off/maybe even becomes non-existent once I get above 65-70. It's a subtle sound and not loud at all but it's definitely there. Car drives perfectly fine. I believe I started noticing the sound a few days after I hit a pretty big pothole, probably the roughest pothole I've ever hit in my life.

Took it to a mechanic last week and they diagnosed it as an issue with my left rear wheel bearing. My car only has a little less than 15,000 miles on it so they told me to take it to the dealer as they said the bearing should be covered under warranty (guess I should've thought to take it to the dealer in the first place to avoid the mechanic's $150 inspection fee).
Set up an appointment with the dealer's service department and took it in yesterday. The dealer is saying because it was raining when I took it in they are unable to determine with certainty whether it's the wheel bearing. They think it could possibly be a "feathered" tire issue and started asking me questions about how often I have my tires rotated, though it turned out the last time I rotated my tires was 3,000 or so miles ago at that same dealership. Was led back to my car where he had me run my hands up and down the tire to show where it could possibly be "feathered". (I guess I felt a difference as he was describing it but not knowledgeable enough to know what's going on there.) But I was told to bring my car back in on a non-rainy day next week so they could determine with more certainty whether it's feathering issue or the wheel bearing. A concern the dealer expressed was they had to make absolutely sure if it is in fact the bearing because Mazda will look to double check that it is in fact a faulty bearing when they order the new part or something like that.

I explained the dealer's assessment to my original mechanic who offered to take another complimentary quick look at the car today. I took the car back to the original mechanic today - he ran his hands up and down my left rear tire for 10-15 seconds and he quickly said "it's even - definitely the bearing". So he seems confident it's not a tire issue.
Does this all seem plausible? I've never been in a situation where a dealer is possibly disagreeing with a mechanic's assessment. I trust the mechanic if for no other reason than he doesn't really have a reason to send me to the dealer to get work done where he could've made $$$ doing the job himself. The dealer, on the other hand, I'm wondering in the back of my head whether they're trying to get out of covering something under warranty, especially since one of the first questions the dealer asked after looking at my car was how often I had my car serviced/tires rotated.

Will also say that I multiple times brought up with the dealer the diagnosis from the original mechanic and kept offering to show him the receipt showing the diagnosis but he refused to even look at it, saying they have to go by their own assessment, not another mechanic's...

· Registered
30 Posts
i would find another stealership in the area, err dealership

not that hard to put it up on the lift and spin the tire/ wheel assembly plus put a stethoscope on it if needed to hear the rumbling of the bad wheel bearing.

3 year/ 36000 mile warranty

· Registered
34 Posts
Sounds more like a tire to me or even maybe a messed up bushing in one of the control arms cause mine did similar stuff and after I replaced a messed up bushing it went away my noise was around 65 and went away at 60 and 70 only did at 65. And regardless of what it is should be covered if not just go to a local junkyard buy. A spare tire that is on same rims as ur has and switch out the tire if it goes away there is ur answer. Idk where u love but at my local yard u can get rim and tire for under 50 bucks if it stops u know tire and fuck both garage then u have it fixed. If not then u tell mazda
Look it has new tire and still does it can’t be tire. Or even switch it out to the front rotate the back to front and see if noise in front now if it is u know it’s tire. I don’t know but that’s what I would do u have two options just rotate and see if goes away or moves to front and if moves to front it is the tire and then I go get new one or u can go get a spare and that way u always have a extra tire at ur house. Idk that’s what I would try before I would piss around fighting with Mazda they charge 131 a hour its
Not time to
Play guessing games

· Registered
532 Posts
Follow the advice of your dealership. Thats what your warranty is for. You have already had entered your VIN so it is on record now as a concern. Going to another dealership is really a waste of your time. And it will also be recorded on your VIN information.
I will say I am not sure how anyone by feeling by hand and not actually using gauges to measure the tire concluded anything less than obvious?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took it back to the dealer today. They said they aren't seeing the wheel bearing problem my mechanic saw, they said it's strictly a tire issue for which rotating the tires would help. So they rotated the tires, test drove it, and said the sound was gone. When I drove the car back home I did notice that the sound was greatly reduced to the point where it's not bothersome and I can very barely hear it, but I do still hear something very, very small. It's a much quieter, non-bothersome sound that for all I know isn't a true problem (could be that I'm trying too hard to hear something that's not really there I don't know) but I guess I'll continue to monitor the issue as I get back to driving on the highway... but at least on a first drive home the sound is much less noticeable.

· Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like it has a bad spot somewhere on the tire cause mine was acting same and I put tires on and it went away could be something that u hit and it just messed it up enough that u hear it but not to point where it’s to bad might go away after tire is wore more

1 - 6 of 6 Posts