Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have an 08 4-speed automatic with just about 70k miles on it. The past few days I have noticed that when I put the car into the sport shift mode there are times when I will try to shift up and the car just doesn't respond. I can literally hold the slap-stick up and the car won't shift. I'll have to try to shift up at least 2-3 times before it actually responds. Shifting down has no issues, and from what I can tell when it's in normal drive mode it has no issues upshifting when I suddenly press down on the pedal a bit (tested multiple times). I would say this issue happens at least 10% of time I have the vehicle in sport shift mode now, and is especially noticeable on highways. Makes no difference though whether I'm upshifting from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2. (2 to 1 I imagine is the same way but I don't make that shift often with my 4-speed). I have checked the transmission fluid which still pink and at the proper level. I have never had any transmission issues in the past, and while I do drive spiritedly sometimes, I have never beat on this car. At 70k could this really be a transmission issue starting to spring up? Or is it possible this could be an issue with a switch or something in the cabin shifter module?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I have an 08 4-speed automatic with just about 70k miles on it. The past few days I have noticed that when I put the car into the sport shift mode there are times when I will try to shift up and the car just doesn't respond. I can literally hold the slap-stick up and the car won't shift. I'll have to try to shift up at least 2-3 times before it actually responds. Shifting down has no issues, and from what I can tell when it's in normal drive mode it has no issues upshifting when I suddenly press down on the pedal a bit (tested multiple times). I would say this issue happens at least 10% of time I have the vehicle in sport shift mode now, and is especially noticeable on highways. Makes no difference though whether I'm upshifting from 4 to 3 or 3 to 2. (2 to 1 I imagine is the same way but I don't make that shift often with my 4-speed). I have checked the transmission fluid which still pink and at the proper level. I have never had any transmission issues in the past, and while I do drive spiritedly sometimes, I have never beat on this car. At 70k could this really be a transmission issue starting to spring up? Or is it possible this could be an issue with a switch or something in the cabin shifter module?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 😄
Does anyone know what could cause the gear indicator on the instrument panel to cycle through gears without the car actually engaging in the gear? The Transmission Range sensor, TCM, ECU are the ones that i am aware of, but I'm sure there are others that can do this also. I can't get any codes to show up because i have replaced the ECU and there isn't any history to get. Would it throw a code if i let the car just sit there and run for a half hour or so?
I don't know if it works like that, please let me know if you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
360Spider,

Does it shift normally, that is fine, when you just put it in D and go or do you have issues there also. If it shifts fine in D, maybe there is some dirt that affects the slap shift switch or something. Just a wild guess.

I've never found shifting an automatic this way to be particularly rewarding but thats only me talking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, as of last night i went out to pay attention to what it was doing and this is what i found out: when in park all is good then shift into reverse and i feel it go into reverse, shift into neutral and it's good, shift into Drive and all is good for a few seconds, but i don't feel it engage and then it will show 4th gear on the dashboard and then it shifts rough into what i believe to be 4th gear and the "AT" light comes on and it kinda moves forward when i give it gas. I put a scan tool on and it says that the vehicle shows no fault codes. I'm confused on what to do now. Can it be that it's low on fluid still?

·
Registered
94 Posts
When i had issues with the trans on the 3 my daughter drives it threw a couple of codes. Without this, not sure where to go though it smells like a TCM issue as a guess, but could also be sensor. Most likely, not fluid level unless you are way low or very dirty. Not sure what you are using for scan tool, but I found the Torque Pro app worked well for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts