Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice when my car is stopped.. and i turn the steering wheel .. my headlights seem to dim a little.. (from the reflection on the car in front of me).. or is it becoz the car is tilted once i turn the wheel?

did anyone notice this?

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's normal because of the electrical power steering. My co-worker commented to me that when I parked the car, turning the wheel at low speed, the power steering makes some weird servo sounds. He said that it was pretty funky.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I noticed the same thing and insisted my dealer check it out. The Mazda3 trained technician said this is due to the large amount of power the power steering system draws. The alternator is 100AMPS, while the power steering draws 90AMPS. This is why at low engine speed you are seeing the lights dim, I think if you asked every one with a Mazda3 they would notice the same thing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I haven't noticed this, but I think it's because I have the HID lights and they draw less power once they're on. I'll have to try it with the high beams on, and see if they dim when I turn at 0-5 mph.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Completely normal, I can't think of a power steering equipped vehicle that I've owned over the years that didn't have the lights dim a bit when you turned, especially at full lock.

·
Registered
350 Posts
SBTanMan said:
I haven't noticed this, but I think it's because I have the HID lights and they draw less power once they're on. I'll have to try it with the high beams on, and see if they dim when I turn at 0-5 mph.
HIDs have ballasts which would prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
947 Posts
When the car is running power comes from the alternator, not the battery. The battery is used only for starting and for when you turn things on while the engine is off.

·
Registered
420 Posts
cowtown said:
Completely normal, I can't think of a power steering equipped vehicle that I've owned over the years that didn't have the lights dim a bit when you turned, especially at full lock.
My lights don't dim, and none of my other cars do/did either. I wouldn't say it's normal........

·
Registered
481 Posts
BMM3 said:
cowtown said:
My lights don't dim, and none of my other cars do/did either. I wouldn't say it's normal........
it's normal on the 3...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts