Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I started a new job over a mnth ago. Basically i am running arund for 9 hrs a day. My last job i sat for 9 hrs a day. I lost 30 lbs already which is great. The problem is my leg muscles always feel too tired to move now. My knees hurt and i feel like i got hit by a truck all of the time. Ive started to drink a lot of water and taking fish oil and multi vit. Im thinking protein powder next. Any suggestions on how to get me back to normal? Im only 30 and i feel like im 66.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Your body should get used to it....technically all exercising does is fool your body to thinking that it is doing something that would normally occur in nature but allows you do do that motion more frequently and possibly add more weight to suit your needs.

If you lost 30 lbs i'm guessing you were overweight? cause 30 lbs to a normal person is quite a bit.

Anyhow being overweight causes a lot of stress on your lower limbs naturally, I believe it is every pound above takes off 4 times that load on your knees or something like that.

Hopefully it will go away on its own tho. What does your normal diet consist of?

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[quote author=danielj link=topic=190464.msg4018426#msg4018426 date=1304988428]
What kind of shoes are you wearing at work?
[/quote]

I was wering cole haan slip ons but ive swithed to black nikes for as lo g as i can get away with it. I am normally 6' 4" and 255. Ive been 290xish since we had our baby but ive dropped down to 260 now. My diet is shitty but ive been tryng to make it better now that i am in a routine at work and he baby is finally sleeping through the night. Also, 255 is a decent weight for me. Im a lare person in general, not super fat.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Like someone mentioned above, your shoes might be the cause of the pain in your legs/feet. Also taking powder protein is a good idea, I workout on a daily basis and always take my share of protein. Look into BSN Syntha-6 (expensive but very good) or Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey.

One more thing, your body will get used to your new job and the soreness will go away. But regardless you need your daily protein/vitamin supplements.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Big, get you something with glucosamine and condroitan (sp?) for your joints. It may take a couple of weeks to start working good but it will help. You're like me, toting around some extra weight on knees that aren't accustomed to moving very much. Great shoes/boots and perhaps some inserts from a foot doctor will be a big plus as well.

A B12 & cortisone shot from your doctor will do wonders as well. I'm 46 and been pretty well beat to shit at the detail shop and I'll swear by the shots.

·
Super Moderator
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to give it another week or two. If I'm not better by then..to the doctor I go. I just recently started taking the multi vit again so hopefully between that and the protein I'll get better. And I have Optimum Gold Standard whey I think it's called back from when I used to actually work out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run (literally) in high heels all day at work on marble floors, so I feel your pain. More comfortable shoes, multi-vitamin, lots of water, and building up stronger leg muscles are probably your best bets. I added insoles to some of my shoes and it helped...so you don't have to throw out otherwise perfectly good shoes.

I also add frequent Advil. lol!

·
Registered
24,208 Posts
Make sure that you're streching every day. That DEFINITELY helps in the long run. I used to be on my feet 10-12 hours a day at an old job and I was in SO much pain the first month or so. Then I started to stretch in the mornings and it REALLY helped my legs out. I also had an awesome pair of walking shoes.

This might sound dumb, but these stretching tips really help.

Ankle circles. Standing on one foot, lift the other leg off the ground in front of you. Slowly flex that ankle through its full range of motion, making circles with the toes. Do 6 to 8 circles then reverse the direction of your circle and do 6 to 8 more. Switch feet and repeat.
Leg swings. Standing on one leg, swing the other leg loosely from the hip in a front to back motion. Keep it relaxed and unforced like the swinging of a pendulum. Your foot should swing no higher than a foot or so off the ground. Do 15 to 20 swings on each leg.
Figure-8 leg swings. Just like the leg swings above, swing one leg from the hip in a front to back motion, but this time, trace a figure-8 with your leg. Your leg should trace a circle in front of the body and another circle behind. Do 15 to 20 swings on each leg.
Pelvic loops. Stand with your hands on your hips, your knees gently bent, and your feet hip-width apart. Keep your body upright and make 10 slow, continuous circles with your hips, pushing them gently forward, to the left, back and to the right. Then reverse directions and repeat.
Arm circles. Hold both arms straight out to your sides, making yourself into the letter T. Make 10 to 12 slow backward circles with your hands, starting small and finishing with large circles, using your entire arm. Shake out your arms, then repeat with 10 to 12 forward circles.
Hula-hoop jumps. Begin hopping in place on both feet. Keep your head and shoulders facing forward, and begin to twist your feet and lower body left, then right, going back and forth on successive hops, 20 times.

Your diet will also have a huge impact on how you feel. The vitamins are definitely a good idea.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't know how much protein powder is going to help you out. I'd never suggest that unless you are on a routine, regimented workout plan. I think you should give it time, your body is now adjusting to a big change and it needs to have a bit of time. Stretch out, eat healthier, and get a comfortable pair of shoes that support your weight and the stresses you put on your body. By strengthening out the muscles in your legs, you can take some of that strain off of your knees as well, if you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
You are likely just burning more calories than consuming, and new found movement causes muscle growth. BUT never hurts to get checked out. I am in the same category as you, tall and in the 260 club. But my knee pain is a result of shipboard ladders (12 yrs Navy), mountain biking, skiing. Pretty much live on Advil Xtra stength liquid caps and as mentioned above Glucosamine. In your case, raise protein via food intake rather than supplements, unless going to start a gym regime for your body to fully consume the extra protein. You are likely eating far less (junk) due to activity and lack of boredom ;) Keep it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts