Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I am planning to purchase a MS3 this May and I have a few questions and possibly requests for suggestions from you guys.

Firstly, I live in NYC and am planning to move to the Washington DC surrounding area by the time May rolls around, so I'll be flexible as to which dealership I can get the speed from. I was thinking of not getting it in NY due to higher taxes, and perhaps get it from a dealership in VA or PA. Is there sense in that?

Secondly, my girlfriend and myself will both be getting new mazdas (her a 3 sedan, and myself the speed). We are planning to ask dealerships if they would be flexible and drop below MSRP for both cars if we were to get both from the same place. Is there history to dealerships doing that, and if so how far below ticket price can I expect them to go?

Lastly (for now), I want to take a test drive, and can go to NJ or NY to do so. What is the protocol for contacting dealership and asking for a test drive? How do I know if the dealership can just give you the car for 30 mins and keep your license, or if the salesman will have to go with you in the car and tell you all about it?

I am still not 100% decided if I want to go for the speed3 or just a regular 3 hatch, but hopefully the test drive will put me closer to decision.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that preston Mazda in Maryland, about 1 1/2 hours from DC currently has a sunlight silver MS3 in stock. I live in Delaware, and have previously purchased a car from Preston. Odds are good that they will not go below MSRP on the Speed3. However you may be able to work out a good deal on the # Sedan. I already know that the dealership is not inclined to go below SRP on the Speed3 because I spoke to them previously about a True Red Speed3 they had. As far as taxes go, when I purchased my car in maryland, I still payed Delaware tax on the car, not Maryland. To answer your final quastion, I doubt you will be able to take the car out without a salesperson in the car. At least that was the experience I had when I got to test drive one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote author=bottledmz link=topic=68677.msg1187361#msg1187361 date=1170666406]
Basically, I am planning to purchase a MS3 this May and I have a few questions and possibly requests for suggestions from you guys.

Firstly, I live in NYC and am planning to move to the Washington DC surrounding area by the time May rolls around, so I'll be flexible as to which dealership I can get the speed from. I was thinking of not getting it in NY due to higher taxes, and perhaps get it from a dealership in VA or PA. Is there sense in that?

Secondly, my girlfriend and myself will both be getting new mazdas (her a 3 sedan, and myself the speed). We are planning to ask dealerships if they would be flexible and drop below MSRP for both cars if we were to get both from the same place. Is there history to dealerships doing that, and if so how far below ticket price can I expect them to go?

Lastly (for now), I want to take a test drive, and can go to NJ or NY to do so. What is the protocol for contacting dealership and asking for a test drive? How do I know if the dealership can just give you the car for 30 mins and keep your license, or if the salesman will have to go with you in the car and tell you all about it?

I am still not 100% decided if I want to go for the speed3 or just a regular 3 hatch, but hopefully the test drive will put me closer to decision.

Thank you in advance
[/quote]

I currently live in Northern Virginia (about a mile outside DC). I searched around, spoke to mutliple Mazda owners and where they made their purchase. I finally made my purchase through Brown's Fairfax Mazda. As with all dealerships, they didn't have a clue as to when the car would actually make into to port. You'll see where everyone on here is saying they got their car...it took about an extra week for me to get mine. No fault of the dealership of course.

Brown's was amazing. From my experience they have really good people. I went in with my homework done and knew exactly what I wanted. Once they picked up I meant business they didn't try to push anything on me that I noticed when I visited other dealers (other dealers tried to talk me out of waiting for the MS3 and to pick up the normal 3 just to make a sale). The Brown's people gave me a good walkthrough of the car when she arrived too.

Not sure of the deal you can swing when buying two cars. I have friends that did that at an Acura dealership and save a combined $2500.

Of all the dealerships in VA I visited, I was not allowed to test drive the MS3 (nor were the salesmen). I hear you can up in NJ.

Hope this helps.

Speed3Hokie

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'd second browns fairfax mazda.

Browns arlington is also good.

however Rosenthal Nissan Mazda in Tysons is AWFUL. DO NOT GO THERE! Horrible salesmen, high pressure, absolute pricks...

Browns fairfax was OK, i did not buy from them, I wanted to but they would not order me a car w/ the options I wanted - they said they were at their quota already...line of BS....oh well their loss :)

After buying my MS3 (well..ordering it anyways) I've got an inherent discontent for dealerships, and I do not really trust them...they're here to make money at whatever the expense
-Matt

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Judging by the way dealerships work... they will tell you they are giving you a deal on the Speed3... but they will actually be taking a bit more off the regular 3 (because it makes them look more generous). They like to make themselves look like they are cutting you the best deal of the century.

But... any respectible dealership should cut you some kind of a deal for buying two cars from them at the same time. Especially if you are buying them from the same salesman. If you tell the salesman that you are adding two cars to his monthly sales... he eye's are gonna go ($) ($) "cha-ching" like in the cartoons.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
make them deal big time on the reg 3. since you are paying msrp on the other...there will be even more room to play on the other 3...also seeing as how sales are slow right now too for cars in general.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cooley Motors in Albany, NY was awesome. They kept me posted, did everything via fax so all I had to do when I got there after a three hour drive was sign a couple papers and drive off. They allow test drives if they have any on the lot, and have the largest allotment for MS3's in all of NY state. I would highly reccomend them. They sell for MSRP.

If you're interested, I can give you the cell phone number to my salesman and you can talk with him direct. Last I heard they still had a Black MS3 GT on the lot for sale.

-Carraig

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Fly to MN and get one here. I know a place that has 5 of them on the lot, and they let me leave with one of the red ones. I can back with it 3 hours later, and bought the black one instead. They smiled the whole time, and there was 0 pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.