Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So here is my situation. I have an 04' 3 hatch. I have finally gotten to the point where I have worn down the stock rubber and am looking for a replacement. Instead of buying new tires, I am planning on putting on my rims and tires I bought for my 02 Protege5. On the Pro5 I had Eibach Prokit with the rims/tires and the drop was nice. The rims are 17" (not sure of offset but close to factory offset of a Pro5) and the tires are 205/40/17. They were on the Pro5 for 2 months before I sold it. I decided not to put them on the 3 right off and instead use and abuse the stocks until the time came for the swap. So now is that time.

So long story short, I am planning on putting on the 205/40/17 's on my 3 hatch and buying springs. They are pretty low-pro tires so my concern is that if I were to buy the Prokit again for the springs, will the 1.2 - 1.3" drop be sufficient to close enough of the wheel gap. Now understand by no means am I looking to go super low on this. I want it to look clean and not bottomed out. So I don't want the wheels sucked into the wheel well, just a clean look with minimal gap. If not the Prokit, what about H&R or other brands? Should I invest in the camber plates for this install? Which are better, the adjustable Eibach ones or the MS ones? I am looking to make the purchase soon. Also I understand that because of my tire size, there will minor speedo issue, but I'm okay with that. Also I have TPMS too and will be looking to swap them into the new rims. I found a walk-through on that process on the forum and hopefully the rims will allow for that accomodation.

I will be having a local shop do the spring replacement. To help save them time and me money, I plan to strip the rear internals of the car to make it easier for them to get to the rear springs. Any advice on that process or things to look out for?

Thanks for the advice.

-Z

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well, using the tire size calculator found in one of the stickies in the wheels/tires forum, the stock tire size for a 17" is 205/50/17 and you want to go 205/40/17. The overall diameter of the stock tire would be 25.1in whereas the new tire's overall diameter would be 23.5in. There are 2 things to consider. First the speedometer would be off by 6.4% "too fast" meaning your speedometer would read 60mph when you're really going 56.1mph. Second the wheel gap would be bigger so you'll need a lower drop to get rid of the wheel gap. I'd suggest getting 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 size tires to put on your wheels to be closer to stock size so you won't have to compensate for the speedometer readings and also not having to get a lower drop to eliminate wheel gap. If you do use 205/40/17 then I'd suggest getting Eibach Sportline or Tein S-techs which both offer close to a 2" drop. If you go 215/45/17 or 225/45/17 then either Eibach Pro, Tein H-tech, Progress, H&R would be fine. I'm no expert so if I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me but I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sam,

Yea i know about the speedo being off. The main reason for me sticking with the tires I have is b/c they are basically brand new and I really don't want to spend another $400 on tires. I already spent close to $1500 for the rim/tires I am putting on, so I just want to be able to use what I have. So where I need to make the decision is with the springs more or less.

I think personally a 2" drop is too much for me. You are probably right with the right amount of drop for the "look" I need, but for practical reasons, I think the 2" drop will rub too much for me out here on these roads. On my protege5 with the Prokit would even bottom out every now and again with and extra person in the car or just added weight. I know that situations like that are unavoidable in some cases, but I was thinking of a median range around 1.5" should be ok.

Other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
zcast ...

check the specs on the tires - they might be closer than you think.

When I was shopping, some tires were closer to the stock diameter of 25.4" in 215/45 and some in 215/50

regardless... you will be "too small" this will improve your off the line acceleration, but decrease your HWY mileage.

The wheels might looks ridiculously small on the car .. and that would be hard to change .. but just put them on and see .. unless the wheel offset is way off, there will be no actual technical issue with this setup.

also - our tires were rated at 88 load rating - make sure your new tires are not lower - they might not be able to hold the weight of the car.

otherwise - try it and see .. .and adjust the car accordingly (speaking about the drop).

Igor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts