Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after putting in springs and losing my ABS/speed sensors, (should be here tomorrow) my power steering has gotten weird. Sporadically it gets harder, not the same place in the turn, there is no evidence of rubbing. during the install, the guys accidentally dislocated both CV joint, lost a little grease, but they were fine and just put them back in, no clunking or acceleration problems. Checked power steering fluid and its topped off. No squealing, belts that I can see look ok. its funny, there are two things i can do to reproduce it: its more pronounced if i turn fast, it gets harder to turn and when i'm not moving, ie making a turn across traffic. should I go and have things re-lubed? is power steering pump shot? My thought is that possible the sensors do give input as to how much power steering assist depending on speed. You don't need as much assist when driving because there is less friction, vs standing still and moving the wheels over ground. I dunno, just a thought. I will see tomorrow if the sensors make any difference when I put them in and reset the car ecu.

*********Update**********-- To all the haters out there (there really wasn't any,...) The abs/speed sensors DO in fact input into the power steering assist while driving. I put the new ones in today, (the old ones are a bitch to get out) and all of the above mentioned lights went out after i reset the ecu. (Had to replace that shitty positive battery terminal clamp anyway.) The afore mentioned steering problems also vanished. Not that anyone cares, but i guess we can file this under good to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is an old discussion but could you explain what fixed your humming problem? My 2011 Mazda 3 has a hum that seems to be coming from the power steering pump and I also have the loss of power steering function during turns. Is it the sensors, bad pump or hoses in bad position? The last problem I read on a general car forum. Thank you on advance for a response.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts