Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 S Sport Hatch with about 1,500 miles on it. Like others on this board I've noticed that the headlights seem to dim a little when turning the steering wheel at a full stop. I was wondering if there is any solution to this stock problem. I read a few posts about replacing the stock battery with a better battery, installing HIDs, or even putting relays in.....but do any of these things correct the dimming issue???

·
Registered
753 Posts
How often does this happen? For the once every five years or so that I have to do it for a really tight parallel park, it wouldn't be worth it for me!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It happens just about anytime I'm at a full stop and turn the wheels to turn at a intersection. It doesnt just happen when I turn the wheels all the way until they stop.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
You shouldn't be turning the wheel while at a complete stop in normal traffic... or really, to do anything other than parallel park in a really tight spot. Just don't turn the wheel until you're slowly moving, and it won't happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=135349.msg2917609#msg2917609 date=1233943929]
You shouldn't be turning the wheel while at a complete stop in normal traffic... or really, to do anything other than parallel park in a really tight spot. Just don't turn the wheel until you're slowly moving, and it won't happen.
[/quote]

Regardless, the headlights shouldn't dim. Usually it's the sign of a faulty ground. I've got the same issue in my car, also when you try to put a window up that's already up, and a few other things. I have a feeling the electrical system isn't properly grounded from the factory. I'm aware this is an issue but I haven't heard a fail safe fix yet.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Your being to critical of the car. They all do it as the car doesn't charge the battery as much when your driving slow(Like Parking)
To help maintain engine loads(So the car runs smooth) al lower engine speeds the alternator produces less than ideal voltage(14 volts)

So when your using many amps(More than the alternator is putting out at low engine speeds) like turning the steering wheel and headlights on, and probably a stereo, you see the lights dim.

Put hids in it if you dont wanna see it.

This is like complaining of a model that doesnt like video games.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts