Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is the hatch 2.3 going to be GS, and the 3i (2.0) going to be HS? If so, which would be better in their respective classes?
Also, what would be the best setup/mod for STS for these cars? Let the opinions start! :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm thinking that the 2.3L would definitely fit into GS, with the Celica and Impreza 2.5RS.

The 2.0 might also qualify as GS, although it's kind of a tough call. I would probably go with you and say HS.

What's STS again? :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hehe... I will soon find out how competitive the 3 hatch performs in G/S. I am looking forward to attending an auto-x this coming Sunday (Feb 1st). The G/S class here has many experienced drivers so maybe I could ask them for some tips and tricks too.

Can anyone actually confirm that the 2.3 hatch will be in G/S? Is it written in the SCCA SOLO2 rulebook yet? Because in here the CACC SOLO2 rulebook is not yet updated and I have no idea.

On another note, what do you guys think of the possibility of buying a set of Mazda's own 16" steel rims (for snow tires) and mount some R-comps for auto-x? I think they are 16x6" and I am thinking of mounting some 225/50/16 on there. Do you think the rims will be able to sustain the loads? I think 225 is the widest i can fit into the 6" rims (checked on the tirerack website).

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CF777. PLEASE tell me how the car does. How it does at autocross will weigh heavily on my decision to get the car. As for the rims, I believe they are 6.5 wide.

·
Registered
48 Posts
slipangle said:
CF777. PLEASE tell me how the car does. How it does at autocross will weigh heavily on my decision to get the car. As for the rims, I believe they are 6.5 wide.
Sure, no probs!

Are you sure that the Mazda3 16" steel rims are 6.5" wide and not 6"? Because I just went to the parts department in the dealership today and the guy was telling me that these steel rims are 6" wide and cost $50 CAD apiece.

I guess it would be even better if it was 6.5", tho the maximum width is still 225. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, DUGRANT153.
I'm thinking the 3 will get slaughtered in GS, but if the 3i falls in HS, maybe it has a chance? Then again, Minis are quick. Maybe I should wait and see if the Micro-MX sport comes to NA?

CF777, my apologies, I didn't see that you were mentioning steel wheels. I do not know the specs for the steel wheels. Interesting though, you said you were going to use 16 inch wheels for your R-compounds. What class would you be then? I believe in stock class you can't change wheel size, and since the hatchback doesn't come with 16 inch wheels, you gotta stick with 17x6.5 wheels. But then, if you are using R-comps, then you can't be in STS. You going street prepared? FSP? DSP?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't speak for the stock classes but I don't think the M3 will be competative in STS, at least not nationally. It depends on who you have running in your region. I think the car is just too heavy compared to the old Honda Si hatchbacks.

Until late last year I was autocrossing a Neon (with some tweeks) which has a similar power to weight ratio as the M3 and I was consistently 2 seconds off the pace of the Hondas. The last few events I made a deal with a Honda driver to co-drive his car and it's unreal what a dialed-in civic will do. I'd say stick with stock classes if you want to win. But remember, always have fun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well... I asked some of my friends, who are avid autocrossers, and they told me that as long as the wheels/tires don't stick out from the wheel well, any changes to the wheel size would result in a 1-point penalty. And in the stock class (at least for CACC), we are allowed a 1-point modification in stock. So that means I should be fine as long as I don't do anymore mods. The following is taken from the CACC rulebook:

Wheels of other than stock diameter and/or width and or offset
beyond +/- 0.25". (Applies to Stock category only) Vehicles with
wheels less than 13" in diameter may use 13" with no changes in
width or offset. Vehicles with metric sized wheels may use
alternate rims using the following sizing method:
Diameter- convert metric measurement to inches and round to the
nearest lower inch measurement.
Width- convert metric measurement to inches and round to the
nearest smaller 1/2 inch measurement
Offset- measurement remains the same based on the closest
millimetre equivalent.

1 pt

Would anyone mind telling me what does "STS" stand for?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm....wonder if the CACC rules are different from SCCA. Never heard about the point system. I've asked our chairman here about using the wheels that were installed a few years later on my car (same generation of vehicle, 1991 vs. 1988), and he said it wasn't allowed. This was even with the fact that the 1991 car was still in the same class.

Anyway, STS I believe stands for Street Touring ......errr....yeah, that's right. No R-comps. Allowed are rim(up to 7.5 wide), tire (min 140 wear rating), suspension, air intake, catback, etc. Usual rice stuff, but good for those who don't wanna have to haul an extra set of wheels and tires around. You can check out the rules at http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/index.html
It is unofficial though.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Very likely based on what I've been seeing latley the Mazda3, all versions will be lumped into GS where they will get their asses kicked by lighter, more powerful cars.

As for the i. I'm guessing it will be GS as well, they did the same thing with the Toyota Matrix/Ponitac Vibe, the Base matrix with <130Hp has to play in GS because of the power of the XRS with 180Hp.

Fair it's not but other than the Mini Cooper that 's what the SCCA has been doing lately. As for why the Mini Cooper got to be different I have no idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts